Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I've been looking at the NULA's for almost two years now and will probably pull the trigger here this month, but I cant even begin to figure out what caliber to buy it in.

I thought for a while about .243 or 257 Roberts, but have a .243 already inbound.

Started thinking about .25-284 or 6.5-284, but would like a caliber that I can buy ammo for off the shelf when hunting in other states.

Really started thinking 7WSM, but just not sure about that one. Now I've been considering just going with the tried and trued .308, but no many people that lament the shortcomings of "Old Reliable."

I guess this post is just meant to try and get some of my thoughts down in print and bounce them off some like minded individuals and see what they have to say.

Rifle would be a "do all ultralight" gun to be used on everything from varmints to Moose and whenever I didn't want to pack any of the heavier guns.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easy---get a 284 Win NULA. Otherwise, just get a 270, 280, or 30-06. No wildcats, they all blow, unless you have a vivid imagination and lots of free time.

That's all you really need for an all round rifle.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought a NULA last year in 30/06. like you i wanted this to be a versitile, all around rifle. With the 30/06 I'm comfortable hunting anything in north america other than the big bears. This rifle in this caliber is so pleasant to shoot that I am really glad I didn't order it in one the less powerful rounds I was considering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One and only one ultra for me would be the Little Sky in 7/08 or 308.

I'd take the 2 g's or so that I saved by not buying the NULA and stick it in the hunt fund.

My thoughts about those that poopoo the 308, either they've little or no experience with it and or they have their own agenda (like another short action round so they pound heck on the 308 to try to swade folks to their round....a realitively sick way of feeding ones ego I might add)

Lastly, as much as I like the cals that aren't the norm there is no way that my serious travel rifle would be anything other than a mainstream round. And that's the main reason why I didn't say 260.

Good luck on your decision.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As much as most would hate to say, 308 would probably fit your bill nicely, as would any number of common chamberings. If you want ammo availability, probably wise to consider the 308, 30-06, and 270 and to an extent the 7mm-08 and 280. If you're in dire need for a magnum, any of the WSMs would work, though ammo is a bit harder to find.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess your saying that the 260 isn't mainstream then? Damn, I really like the 260, that's harsh wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ULA24
I guess your saying that the 260 isn't mainstream then? Damn, I really like the 260, that's harsh wink

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a 6.5 slut all the way! The 260 is a wonderful little cartridge that unfortunately has not had as much success as it deserves.

S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ULA24
Easy---get a 284 Win NULA. Otherwise, just get a 270, 280, or 30-06. No wildcats, they all blow, unless you have a vivid imagination and lots of free time.

That's all you really need for an all round rifle.
I guess 280 is an option, I have one in the safe right now that is a dream to shoot. Love those pre-T3 Tikka's. Wasn't even leaning that way yet. the 280 would also solve the issue of having a duplicate cartridge rifle for the serious trips...

As for magnums, I've never felt the need for them. For many years my dad insisted on packing his 375H&H or other big gun, until he realized that perfectly good 270 in the safe weighed in one hell of a lot less.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Because I love the cartridge, I'd be tempted to go 280 and probably AI. But a 7mm-08 would be just as good for real world hunting. 120 V-Max's and TSX's and call it good.

That sounds kinda familiar...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ya know... thinking back, I've never even handled or shot a 7-08. Might have to try and get my hands on one and see how it treats me.

Could you consider it a "compromise" between the 280 and the 308?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
One and only one ultra for me would be the Little Sky in 7/08 or 308.

I'd take the 2 g's or so that I saved by not buying the NULA and stick it in the hunt fund.

My thoughts about those that poopoo the 308, either they've little or no experience with it and or they have their own agenda (like another short action round so they pound heck on the 308 to try to swade folks to their round....a realitively sick way of feeding ones ego I might add)

Lastly, as much as I like the cals that aren't the norm there is no way that my serious travel rifle would be anything other than a mainstream round. And that's the main reason why I didn't say 260.

Good luck on your decision.

Dober

I could not agree more. I'd also consider a REM 700 MTN LSS in 7mm-08 too. I have a REM 600 in 7mm-08 (#1 contour) w/ an McMillan EDGE stock. All three are light done right.

RH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Supper
Ya know... thinking back, I've never even handled or shot a 7-08. Might have to try and get my hands on one and see how it treats me.

Could you consider it a "compromise" between the 280 and the 308?

I think you could say that to a degree, it's a pretty good compromise. It's not glamorous, just does it's job. Very reloadable, great selection of bullets, though factory ammo isn't as available as 308, though I think it's as much or more readily available than the 280

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My ultra light is a rem ti .308 win. Micky edge stock and lupy 6x36.

well at least when the stock finally gets here. I say get the .308

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't think it's a compromise in any way compared to a 308, I'll take the 7mm-08. But that is subjective, there's really not much difference for the average hunter.

As far as the 280AI goes, it gets 350 fps more than the 7mm-08 with hunting weight bullets so it shoots a fair bit flatter.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Had your same problem about this time last year. This was my solution: Kimber 84M Montana in 308 Win with Leupold VXIII 2.5x8x36mm with Leupold rings/bases and Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling. Total package approximately $1,600.00. Total weight? Dunno... Probably a "hair over 6 pounds." Will the 308 "get er done?" You bet your azz it will! Don't you let anyone try to tell you the 308 can't fill this niche for you. Do as suggested. Go get you one, be happy, put all of the money you'll save toward other things, and go hunting.

Attached Images
9828-IMG_1862.JPG (73.7 KB, 118 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was out at my gunsmiths on Saturday. I can't wait until I get my Kimber Montana back, its a 308 as well. Nice little rifle, and it shoots one holer's. It just won't feed. I'm sure he'll have it straightened out soon. I even have a new Loopy fixed 4 power in the gun safe to go on it when I get it back. Then it'll be my go-to gun, after I shoot the crap out of it and make sure its going to run.

I also really like my Tikka T3 Lite in 338 Federal. Thats another flyweight, and I'll kill something with it real soon smile Its spring bear season right now, but it'll be a couple weeks yet before I'll get after them (they're still sleeping I'm sure)

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a ULA Model 20 built in 1990. It's in 284 Win. I shoot 140 grain partitions w. 55 grains of IMR 4350. You can load them yourself or have someone like Superior Ammunition load them for you. Melvin Forbes recommended this load for the 284. You can buy factory ammo in 150 PP. I use a 6X Leupold Compact on mine and have killed several sheep, caribou, elk, mtn. goats, etc. with it. Great rifle, very accurate, lightweight, kills everything you point it at. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JasonK's 257 Roy. <grin>

I have three lightweights - none of them full customs:
700 Custom KS's in 280 & 30.06 and a Lil Sky in 308. If I had to choose just one of those three, it'd be the 280.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've one of the Gander Mountian SS Mountain Guides (SA Mountain rifle in a TI stock) and a Montana in 7-08. Both of them are stupid easy to shoot and do the 120gn V-max/TSX swapaloo, and that combo will run the same POI to at least 600yds. The Rem is just a shade over 7# W/a 4.5-14x40 Leupold and DD's. The Kimber is 6.6# in Kimber windage adjustable bases and a 4.5-14x40 B&C reticle. The Rem holds the edge off the bench, I shoot the Kimber better from field positions.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With all due respect to those who have had good luck with Kimbers, I have not, and in any case the question is about calibers, not rifle makers.

Caliber depends upon what you value most in a traveling rifle. If it's factory ammo availability, you're pretty much limited to 243, 270, 308, and 30-06, especially outside of North America. Inside NA, you can add a few more rounds, including the 7mm-08, 300 Win Mag and WSM, and some others.

Excess hype about stock design can take you only so far - lightweight rifles and heavy bullets will push you around more than heavier ones. Consider how much practice you intend, as well as how many hunting shots - recoil effects are cumulative.

Check "Aussie Gun Writer's" comments recently on his "go-to" rifle - it's a 275 Rigby - "It knocks the crap out of everything except me," or words to that effect. Another mangled quote (from Dogzapper, maybe?): "It's holes that kill animals, not energy." There are others that will shoot flatter than the 7mm-08, but it's hard to believe they'd kill an animal any deader...

If ammo availability in travel isn't an issue, and Mule Deer has not seen it to be, then the choice is wide open.

I have one real suggestion, if you should buy a NULA. Explore options, sure, ask advice, but in the end buy what you want, not what you think you should buy. I bought a NULA 30-06, a cartridge I've never cared for, because of ammo availability and because it was "well-balanced," whatever that means. I liked the rifle but not the cartridge, and it's now sold and I'm back where I was two years ago. It's much cheaper in the long run to scratch the itch the first time than to have to buy another backscratcher.

Last edited by Jaywalker; 04/22/08. Reason: "lighter" to "heavier"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 16,139 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,156
Posts18,542,747
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.