Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Keep a good mix of activities with the purpose of improving body composition (less fat, more muscle), muscular strength, muscular endurance. Go easy on death marches if you're not used to them. My part time job is in the reserves training basic trainees for annual training. Road marches are a great fitness tool but too much will bring on the lower leg and back problems. The intensity should be high enough and long enough to be not fun while you're hiking but you should not feel wrecked the next day. Mild discomfort is fine. Try a couple of short 3 mile hikes during the week with a light-moderate pack at 4 mph. If you can't hold 4 mph (15 minute miles or 55-60 seconds per 100 meters, then try a lighter pack. On the weekend try a longer, slower, heavier pack hike.
Do your flexibility a favor by stretching out well after your hikes. No bouncing, just smooth comfortable stretches.
Reduce lower leg stress by going low impact on some of your cardio work such as time in the pool or on the bike or an elliptical.
Stadiums are great but take care of your knees by walking down, not running.

GB1

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think my death march unintentionally downhill for the first 80% with a steep terminal 20%. Honestly, when I got to the uphill portion I was thankful. The only lasting misery is in my calves and it ain't too bad; and it looks like the downhill pounding will cost me a big toenail! I don't get it, I walked the heck out of those boots last summer with no ill effect. I used different socks, last summer using a thick Cabelas sock, and this last trip I had one of those Wright's double layer hiking sock.
Count me as puzzled, and toenail-less (at least one),
Don

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What kind of boots? The toe box must keep your toes from hitting the front of the boot on downhills. This is where the correct size is important.

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I wish I had done these goat and sheep hunts when I was younger but I waited until I thought I could afford them instead. In the last three years I have done two BC Mt goat hunts and a Alaska sheep hunt and have another goat hunt scheduled in BC again this year. Each time I have tried to be in better shape than I was for hunt the previous year. I weighed 226lbs when I started training for my first goat hunt and thought I was doing good getting down to 190lbs or so by the time I left for my trip. Last year I was under 175lbs going into my sheep hunt.

Being retired allowed me extra time to train last year. Most of my conditioning was done with daily use of an eliptical and climbing stairs with a weighted backpack. Two months before my planned trip I worked my way up to at least an hour on the elitical each day at the highest setting. Every other day I walked the high school track and climbed up and down the bleachers with a sixty pound pack. It took me just over an hour to walk two and a half miles around the track and climb up and down 1300 steps on the bleachers. Every little bit helps!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bowjack: You did good. The mistake I made was than even though I trained with a pack on some good hills, I was walking on paths and dirt roads. I didn't do enough of the step up kind of training where you transfer a lot of weight to your thighs. I made it but it could have been better. Don't know if I will ever get to go again, but my routine training now includes more of that kind of exercise. Have started in a bicycle spinning class at the local Y. That is one kick azz workout.
The walking ax that the outfitter supplied was one of the most important pieces of equipment on the trip. It enabled you to take some of the weight off the legs.

Battue

Last edited by battue; 04/22/08.

IC B2

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Agreed, Bowjack, you're on fire! I've heard it said by one of the gun writers that no one ever does a goat hunt twice. Looks like you and I are the exceptions. You didn't state how old you are, I'm 47, and starting to feel it.
Don

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm convinced that the best workouts for that type of thing is as close as you are going to get to actually doing it when at home.
The biggest problem is being consistant and not over training. That means work up to whatever you can do, but don't, whatever you do, push it too fast or too hard. Tendions and ligaments do not get stronger nearly as fast as muscles do. No death marches. Doesn't do anything but put you at risk for a serious injury. 70% of the people that take up running to get in shape, stop doing it before the end of the first year due to injuries to their legs. Too much, too fast. They start out running/walking a mile or so. But in two months they are running 2-4 miles on pavement. The they push even more. I've seen it over and over.
Follow the federal food guidlines. Especially the original ones. That includes lots of quality carbs.

I'd look hard for some kind of long slope, with rough ground, not a smooth trail or road and walk that. Do it for a while w/o a pack then gradually start off with 15-20 lbs.
Do it for an hour or more every other day. Wear your boots and socks.
That idiot you had for a sheep guide was a mistake. He easily could have pushed you into an injury or even a fatal accident. I pray you don't put up with that attitude again.
Best of luck. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docdb
Agreed, Bowjack, you're on fire! I've heard it said by one of the gun writers that no one ever does a goat hunt twice. Looks like you and I are the exceptions. You didn't state how old you are, I'm 47, and starting to feel it.
Don

Haha, actually you guys might not be totally alone, my buddies dad I believe has now gone on two. He shot a goat in AK in like 2005 and then just this past fall he went. His new baby was actually born while he was on the hunt, he's probably still in the doghouse for that. He did get a second goat though. I believe he's in his late forties, too.

Last edited by Scorpion; 04/22/08.
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Scorpion,
I saw in another post that you just graduated college, congratulations. But, I wish you would realize that 47 is not "late 40's", it's more like early to mid 40's.
Ha, Ha,
Don
PS my mother-in-law retired to West Yellowstone from a lifetime in Georgia, and is making it just fine. She's not a hunter, works in that Wolf/Grizz Center in West. Wish I could go too! Good luck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your still a pup. smile

Battue

Last edited by battue; 04/22/08.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
docdb,

I'll be 56 when I go on my next goat hunt this September. When I booked my first goat hunt in 05 I hadn't been on a hard backpack hunt since my last elk hunt over ten years earlier. I knew it was going to be tough and getting in shape for it would be a challenge. I must say it was all of that, more like life changing to better explain it. I was determined though and once I made it back from my first goat hunt no worse for wear I couldn't wait to go on my next.

I wrote a recap of my second goat hunt along with some pictures from that and my first hunt on another web site forum if anyone cares to read about it. It gives an idea what type of country Mt goats live in and how difficult they can be to get to for those that haven't hunted goats before and are considering a hunt for them.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=054803

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docdb
Scorpion,
I saw in another post that you just graduated college, congratulations. But, I wish you would realize that 47 is not "late 40's", it's more like early to mid 40's.
Ha, Ha,
Don
PS my mother-in-law retired to West Yellowstone from a lifetime in Georgia, and is making it just fine. She's not a hunter, works in that Wolf/Grizz Center in West. Wish I could go too! Good luck.

Actually, doc, I haven't graduated yet, still got another year or two! I can only wish though! Whether 47 is late or mid forties, I still consider that far from being an old geezer! I know quite a few guys past 50 that can put my butt in the dust as far as conditioning goes.

Last edited by Scorpion; 04/22/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am 40 and still am quite active between backpacking, hunting, and bicycling(road and mountain)

My joints don't do quite as well these days, but I actually am stronger physically and much stronger mentally than I was when I was a young whipper snapper of 25!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Since were putting out the numbers-did my first goat hunt last year at 63-almost busted my azz. Would love to go again. Just may, but better do it soon. Will go slower if I am fortunate enough to do it again.

Battue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
63 and goat hunting?
My hat is off to you, sir.

I only hope I can do likewise when I am in my 60's!!!
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cut that sir stuff!! Makes me think I MAY be old!!! sleep

Battue

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, I'm 49 and kind of think I'll hit mid life this Nov when I turn 50.... smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Here's a picture to get you motivated. After being dropped off on a glacier lake my guide and I had a five and a half hour climb up the slope on the right of the photo. That got us to the spot where we set up camp. We still had an hour or two climb after that before we started to reach the area the goats were in though. It was every bit as steep as the picture indicates and to make matter worse it rained for a good portion of our ascent.

[Linked Image]

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Here's 2003, I'm 15lbs lighter, and in much better shape. This last weekend makes me think I'm not doing enough!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One thing that has been mentioned on previous threads is the Crossfit program.

I think one thing about humpin' hills, swimming or roofing houses, is that so many forgotten muscles get used. Crossfit is different because the workouts ALWAYS change, so everything gets worked. I've never heard of anybody trying it and not complaining about how intense it is.

Personally, I think if you have a picture of yourself on top of a mountain, you're in shape. <g>

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.