Print Thread
Hop To
A
arky65 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am thinking of getting into shotshell reloading, need input as to where to get started. I have been reloading rifle and pistol for 15+ years but have no idea where to start for shotshells. I proably will not load more than 500 shells per year so I do not need a high out put system.

Thanks in advance

Arl\ky

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You should read the other thread about whether it's cheaper and consider your motivation for reloading. Regardless. I reload shotshells, and I'm quite happy with a single-stage MEC. The cheapest one they sell should be fine for your purposes. My volume is even lower than yours will be. I got mine from a friend, and he already had an assortmet of powder bushings and charge bars. However, if I were startng from scratch, I'd probably buy a universal charge bar and be done with it.

As others have said, the Lyman manual is a good reference. I have one that's two or three editions out of date. It helped me a lot when I was getting started, but I rarely use the recipes in there. I use recipes from the free pamphlets distributed by the powder manufacturers. If you buy a new loader there may be enough "how-to" to get you started without the lyman manual.

I hope you enjoy it, I do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll second the thought of a single stage MEC, and will also agree to check out why you're reloading before jumping in to it. Not telling you not to, but if economy is the reason, I just don't see it these days for 500 shells.

I will disagree, however, on the universal charge bar concept. I had one when I started and soon got rid of it in favor of bushings. I spent what I considered too much time adjusting it when changing loads or trying something new. If its just one gauge, get a range of bushings for your chosen components. Once you know what charge they actually throw, there is no messing about; plug in the bushing and start loading. Since I load 4 gauges, with some overlapping charges in gauges, the bushing and bored bar worked best for me. Different strokes and all that. I would not buy the Lee loader as I had one of those to start as well and very quickly graduated to the MEC; it really is worth the extra money at the start.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
+1 on the MEC
In my area it is much easier to find bushings, bars and parts for a MEC than for any of the other machines.

A very important piece of equipment is a powder scale. Being involved in metallic reloading, I am sure you already have this covered. Always, check the powder bushings for accuracy.

Go ahead and buy 1,000 primers. Once you see how much fun it is to break targets with ammo you built, you will be shooting more often.

Welcome to my addiction!

Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One more thing. If you go the bushing route, don't be afraid to take a dremel to a bushing if it isn't quite right. The charts aren't very precise, or perhaps bushing manufacturing processes aren't very precise. Even if they did drop the nominal charge, sometimes the charge you want is in between bushing sizes. I've done that many times and it seems to work fine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mec Sizemaster, and if you are doing it for any other reason than the ability to tailor your loads for your purposes (i.e. light loads, spreaders, buffered, etc) you're in it for the wrong reason.

FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree with Dutch completely.

I went from 1 1/8th oz 12ga to 1 oz in order save a little money on shot. My scores didn't change. Then I dropped down to 7/8 oz and my scores started to improve. Recoil reduction became noticeable.

Lately I am shooting 3/4 oz 12 gauge for skeet with amazing results. The soft recoil has really helped on doubles. These light loads have improved my confidence as well as my scores. As an added benefit, shooting 3/4 oz instead of 1 1/8th allows me to shoot 7 additional rounds of skeet from a 25 pound bag of shot.

Building spreader loads for those up close sporting clays targets is a hoot too!

Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a MEC and a Lee. The Lee was a little quirky about the crimps at first but I learned to use a more gentle technique and it produces loads as nice as the MEC. Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep... Sizemaster.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just used my little Lee set of hand tools to load up 2 dozen 12 gauge shells this weekend. I bought the set of hand tools for $5 used. I think new they run about $20. You really can't go wrong at that price if you load a low number of shells like I do.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,716
Posts18,514,139
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.