-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scorpian, if you get a chance pm me your phone number and I'll give you call, I just happen to work in real estate and would glad to talk with you...... cool

We can of course chat about hunting/fishing and other good stuff as well, just please no ballistic gack.

Thx
Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 04/22/08.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Geez...any openings for a decent graphic/multimedia designer? I wouldn't mind moving there as well.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Scorpian, if you get a chance pm me your phone number and I'll give you call, I just happen to work in real estate and would glad to talk with you...... cool

We can of course chat about hunting/fishing and other good stuff as well, just please no ballistic gack.

Thx
Dober

Dober,

PM sent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtMike
I live 30 miles west of Bozeman and yes we do hunt the lopes up toward Helena, yes it's a tougher draw than the 700's but I usually get one every other year.

man that aint right......you get to hunt the dang things roughly every other year over in the mountains and im out on the flats and pulled one tag in 5 years for my area(supposedly 1 in 3 odds).......that just aint right........is that public land north of Helena....my sisters moving to Helena from Great Falls this summer.....maybe ill come over to the mountains and hunt your speed goats......that just dont sound right grin

Last edited by rattler; 04/22/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Probably because most people don't realize how good the goat hunting can be out here in the hills, those areas don't get too many apps. I'm having problems downloading the regs for this year, but it seems to me that around 350 - 400 people apply for an area that gets around 200 tags granted each year. It's 390 on the east side of Canyon Ferry if you have your regs handy. It is almost all private land, but I've never had a problem with obtaining permission just need to go out a week or 2 early and ask.

Edited to add that 2 years ago I shot a 15" goat buck out there, so there are some decent ones.

Last edited by MtMike; 04/23/08.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I lived in Bozeman for several years, it is a great place to live but the cost of living is high. Im from ND originally and the one BIG thing I missed while living there was fishing. Sure you can catch trout all day long, but they taste like crap and only get so big. Im more of a pike/walleye fisherman and really there arent many good places to do that where I was living. MT is THE state to be if you are into hunting though!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Derek
Sure you can catch trout all day long, but they taste like crap and only get so big.

LOL, ain't that the truth! Catch and Release is popular for a REASON!

I only fish the highcountry for Cutts and whatever... much tastier.

Yepper, the cost of living (especially housing) is higher than Midwestern cities, but not as high as E or W Coast cities. Course we basically have no economy here and aren't a city grin. As the saying goes, "half your paycheck is the view."

Good thing about Bozeman is it's only a half hours drive to Montana...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few notes from somebody who has lived in Montana 55 years:

Actually, opportnities to catch fish other than trout abound almost everywhere in Montana. I know this because I have lived all over Montana and fished about everywhere. (I was born and raised in Bozeman but got out before it turned into Northern Califonia/Western New York.) Anywhere east of the Continental Divide is no more than two hour's drive from decent walleye, pike or catfish. I live an hour from Bozeman and can be walleye fishing 10 minutes from my house. On the west side, pike and bass are all over the place.

It is easy to draw pronghorn tags for most units in the state every year. Just put in for a doe permit as your second choice. Unless you are one of those macho guys totally dedicated to shooting some sort of buck every year, this works--and landowners are actually more willing to grant permission once they find out you are hunting females. They taste just as good, are just about as big, and the hunting techniques are the same.

The bird hunting is pretty fair too, from one end of the state to the other.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Where can I get into some good walleye fishing near Havre?

Travis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nelson.....Fort Peck.....those are to the east would assume Fresno just outside of Havre has them......would assume the Missouri has them as i catch them out of the river here.....most any good sized reservoir in Montana has been stocked with walleye.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks rattler.

Travis.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Or to the west of Havre is either Lake Francis in Valier or Tiber Reservoir south of Chester, neither more than an hour or 2 from Havre.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I live in north Idaho and Im happy here. If I were to ever move to another state it would be Montana.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So ya wanna move to Montana, eh?

4" of snow on the ground this am and no end in sight today! argh!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude, winter sure is putting up one helluva a fight...
Way too much coffee this morning, and no work today.
I'm gonna have to jump on Maygan's treadmill. Hope I don't wreck....grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL, sittin' in PJ's contemplating putting on cabinet/drawer pulls... hope I don't wreck thinkin' too hard laugh

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks a lot like winter over this side too, this AM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't belive no one has said anything 'bout the gopher hunting.Around these part's it is almost more popular than deer hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably cause we call it gopher shooting around here... cooland yes the snow gophs are out in force.

I have access to a couple of ranches that I think one could about where out some .22 barrels there's so many rodents on them...<g>

Now about that gopher shooting. I just came back from a week at GRI (graduate realtors institute, 3 year course and I graduated but that's another story), anyway one of our assigments in our break out groups was to plan a marketing event.

Go figure our group choose to go to a ranch that one of the ladies owns that has tons of rodents on it and to have a one day gopher shooting contest compete with prizes and a BBQ afterwords.

We said you have to have guts to show up at this event. I mean where else would a bunch of realtors choose to have a gopher shooting event for a marketing plan..... shocked

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It was touched on earlier, but there are'n't many good paying jobs in Montana. that could easily effect your decision.

I have a son in Missoula and I get out there once or twice every year. Great country - Poor economy.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,811
Posts18,496,425
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.