Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Big old gold pinky ring will set it off just right.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A hunna twenny dollahs will get ya fitted up wid a grill,.... yeah,.. it's money up front, but it'll pay off in the long run.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,... just strike me dead if I ever feel the urge to polish my shows wid a toothbrush,...

get shoes with lots of seams and it saves a lot of time.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Evah now and then I squirt WD-40 on my Red Wing Brogans,...

That's about as close as I get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations on your promotion!!! Barak once told me that he'd never accept any job that he couldn't wear jeans to. Then in January he got the job of his dreams... and now he has to wear "business casual" to work (every day except Friday, when he can pay to wear jeans. grin ) Every man has his price... even Barak. grin grin

Anyway, what Barak wears now are Dockers slacks. I bought him the permanent press ones. We want to be able to wash and dry them ourselves, rather than sending them to the dry cleaners. So far it's working out well. Dockers come in a variety of colors, so you don't have to look like you're wearing the same thing every day.

To go along with them, I bought him a bunch of sport shirts in mostly plaids and stripes, one in a light blue solid color. Again, I went with permanent press so no ironing would be needed. He's also got a few polo shirts (knit with a collar) that he wears sometimes, too.

On his feet, he normally just wears his hiking boots. laugh No one has complained yet... he's extremely good at his job. wink

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not knowing your budget, but I like Eddie Bauer. Great line of professional and Bus casual clothes. For what you described, go with khakis and button down dress shirts of different patterns. Can go tie if needed

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lots of variables...weight included...for me, I like pants that have stretch elastic on the waist, as I tend to lose a lot of weight in the summer when I'm actively mineing/dredging & usually keep it off until around thanksgiving...in the winter I usually add on 20-30 lbs...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Congratulations on your promotion!!! Barak once told me that he'd never accept any job that he couldn't wear jeans to. Then in January he got the job of his dreams... and now he has to wear "business casual" to work (every day except Friday, when he can pay to wear jeans. grin ) Every man has his price... even Barak. grin grin

Anyway, what Barak wears now are Dockers slacks. I bought him the permanent press ones. We want to be able to wash and dry them ourselves, rather than sending them to the dry cleaners. So far it's working out well. Dockers come in a variety of colors, so you don't have to look like you're wearing the same thing every day.

To go along with them, I bought him a bunch of sport shirts in mostly plaids and stripes, one in a light blue solid color. Again, I went with permanent press so no ironing would be needed. He's also got a few polo shirts (knit with a collar) that he wears sometimes, too.

On his feet, he normally just wears his hiking boots. laugh No one has complained yet... he's extremely good at his job. wink

Penny

+1 on this. Worked for me for years!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I dress business casual for my job as a PC/Network tech in the K12 educational sector. I go with slip on oxfords or loafers with Dr Scholl's insoles for more walking comfort. Slacks are Dockers, Haggars or whatever similar is on sale. Costco has some Tommy Hifeler slacks that look and wear good. Finish off with a matching leather belt.

Shirts are usually short sleeve knits, Chaps and Haggar mostly. I also wear alot of cotton polo shirts, no loud colors (like red).

Fridays I wear a polo shirt with wrangler jeans and Hi-Tech hikers! cool

For jackets I have nylon windbreakers and bomber cut jackets in various earth tones.

If a really important meeting with the corporate folks is on the agenda, then a long sleeve white dress shirt, black tie and slacks gets worn.

My wife picked up a clothes steamer that really helps out.

The name brand clothing usually gives better mileage IME.

MtnHtr

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Buy a mid priced navy blue blazer and hang it in your office. Then when you have a meeting with your bosses, with clients etc, you can slip it on. There is almost nothing that it does not go with, and it even spruces up jeans and a polo. An old mottled brown tweed works almost as well. That, some solid khakis and collered shirts, and you are good to go.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Try a thong and chaps

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations on your promotion Sir. I was always fond of J. C. Penny Dockers and Levi cotton-poly or wool-poly blend slacks (not jeans) and they always had a good selection of cotton-poly dress shirts in stripes and solids that are was & wear. The W&W is especially nice if you have to travel in your job. Shoes usually kill my feet so I wore Wellington boots with good innersoles and soft soles & heels. Like someone said above I had them in black and brown & matching belts, my case was a bit different as I was a detective at the time, but we were NOT supposed to look like Peace Officers in costume as a civilian. A couple of Hagar sport jackets in neutral colors are a real plus as well as a couple 3 neutral ties. I HATE TIES!!!!!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I 100% avoid the name Levy (due to their queer-loving treatment of the Boy scouts) but there are many brands just as good and much cheaper. Just do a little looking. With Levis, you pay 20% more for the name.

If a tie is required, what are the conditions? My dad retired as an automotive instructor in the vo-tech dept of a college. Some supervisor with the brains of a turnip decreed that all staff would wear ties...including those who would be hanging over operating car engines. Dad and his colleagues were forced to lay in a supply of clip-on ties. Only someone with a death wish would wear a tied type in those conditions.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think I'd lay off the camo Dockers, but ya never know.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If there is a Nordstroms near you, get their house brand slacks. Savane is another good brand. Little if any ironing needed, and they fit well.
Shirts you can score from TJ Max or similar store. Brand names, at discount price
Buy a good sport coat from Duluth Trading
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens_blazers_vests/85373.aspx?feature=Link_16

now you are looking good, still have money in your pocket, and when you are finished with this gig, you can go back to jeans. smile

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaveR
I need to dress appropriately, but don't need to be suit and tie. I'll be in a position that often requires visiting rooftops and mechainical rooms of buildings, so don't want to get into overly expensive clothes that can be ruined with one brush up against the wrong piece of equipment. Maybe a sport coat or two, pants, shirts.

One word: Brooks Brothers. OK, that's two words, but you know what I mean. The No-Iron shirts, Khakis, and a pair or three of gabardine slacks will get you through anything. If a field trip is in the picture, the "golf shirts" are excellent.

Don't balk at the prices--even at full price, the value is excellent--because you can catch semi anual sales (not normally advertised) and 3-fer sales. They also have a certifiably insane return policy and will replace a shirt or slacks that you've torn on an exposed corner of sheet metal. Seriously!

The prices for Dockers and China-made crap from budget brands may look attractive, but the shirts (especially) typically aren't fit for gun cleaning rags after five washings. Ask the Campfire sheisters lawyers if I'm lyin'. Around here, it's the attorney's uniform--even for those who can afford to spend a great deal more on clothing.

Disclaimer: my wife works for BB so I know far more about their product line than I otherwise have any reason to know--I don't wear that crap, myself.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
D
D
Brooks Brothers is absolutely where your search can start and stop. I also worked there for a while a couple years ago. Their quality is top notch and the style is conservative. The non iron shirts are great. You take them out of the dryer, wear them all day without ironing and they look like they just got back from the cleaners.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ditto on the BB. Their no iron khakis and cotton shirts last forever and actually look nice if you get them out of the drier fast. Dry cleaning costs will kill you on wool, although you should get a pair or two of wool slacks for when you need to look dressier.

And go with penny loafers or traditional oxfords, square toes make you look like a gen x-er on his way to a rave....you want to look like a grown up.

If you dress correctly, you never have to change with the "styles"....the same thing that looks good today would have looked fine in 1958. Pressed (artificially) khakis and button down shirt with penny loafers, blazer and tie as needed.

And congratulations.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hagar Slacks, Polo Shirts and a nice London Fog type jacket are all good items of clothing for field work along with any of the other suggestions mentioned above.

Congratulations on the promotion.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on Sam's suggestion for Duluth Trading, they've got some nice jackets.

don't have any of the Brooks Brothers, but sounds like that's a good direction to head.

also agree with Steve's assessment about business classic, keeping up with styles is stupid, few years ago they were wearing pointier shoes than cowboy boot cockroach killers, now as said square toes, who wants to play those games.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 673, 1minute, 29aholic, 805, 16 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,935
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.