Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
10mm in a 1911

Check out Fusion Firearms

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

He has several variations including a longslide.

From what I have read he builds a nice one.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
To all thanks for your advice. I have a brother in LE who hated the Glock until he fired one in the 10mm when they were testing for a new department issue pistol. He was amazed how easy it was for him to hit center.

I have a friend on S&R who has a S&W 1006 who had to kill a bear with it that kept harassing them as they recovered a body. One shot was all it took. (With the proper permission of course)

I have looked at the Fusions, but they are a little more than I can spend now. It seems the majority of the census is going to Glock. I haven't fired one in awhile and that was in .40 S&W. And they are a lot less expensive than many of the others.

Thanks again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when that bit about useing an empty gun as a CLUB came up, my first thought was ..why not carry several extra mags....and if you are out of ammo,and if you intend to go toe to toe with some slime ball low life ID strongly suggest, dropping the empty glock and grabbing one of these,
http://www.coldsteel.com/16absj.html
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/csstoreonline_1995_9109187
it does a far better job at damaging some jerk very quick and effectively in train hands than beating on him with any empty pistol,... yeah! old tech but it works against even guys with vests if you know how and where to employ it rapidly, not much better at spit swapping distances

Last edited by 340mag; 04/22/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
To all thanks for your advice. I have a brother in LE who hated the Glock until he fired one in the 10mm when they were testing for a new department issue pistol. He was amazed how easy it was for him to hit center.

I have a friend on S&R who has a S&W 1006 who had to kill a bear with it that kept harassing them as they recovered a body. One shot was all it took. (With the proper permission of course)

I have looked at the Fusions, but they are a little more than I can spend now. It seems the majority of the census is going to Glock. I haven't fired one in awhile and that was in .40 S&W. And they are a lot less expensive than many of the others.

Thanks again.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I had worked at an agency in the mid 90's that issued the S&W 1006, i liked them. They went to 40S&W before i left, but in a Glock. They should of stayed with the 10mm in a Glock instead.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i sold my only 40 and probally only way i'll have another is if i buy a 357 sig with both barrels

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well, guys, clubbing BG's with a pistol isn't something I'd really recommend, but I've done it more times than I like to think about. Never with an empty gun.
Even when you've got grounds to shoot'em sometime it just isn't the thing to do.
Or they are too close and you don't have the grounds to shoot'em. Then you better do something before he decides to take your pistol away from you and... do what he wants. Laws or no laws.
Need to remember that BG's don't play by our rules. We need to. So "other options" may be called for. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Pulled a Wyatt Earp on a few have you?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I hear you E.

Bad situation.....gun out.....no reason to shoot.....need to put hands on perp.....WHACK!!!

I guess your post was just kind of funny when I read it.

Travis.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 on the Fusion, but almost too nice for woods carry. Here are pictures of my Fusion 10mm 6-inch long-slide Traditional Hunter. Recoil is not bad at all. I regularly shoot 250-300 rounds per range session.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
That is a sweet pistol. If it came to clubbing them or shooting them with that one, they'd get shot. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mountainclmbr-

Is the fit and finish on the Fusion as good as I read about??'

How about accuracy????

Been thinkin on getting a custum carry like the one SA makes, however I think I will see if they can put one together for me.

Of course this is after I am employed again and get caught up....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I've had my Delta since 1987 and have a carload of full tank 10mm ammo through it and it sure as hell ain't worn out.

Same here. Remains my favorite handgun ever, the one I'd want at hand if things ever got ugly. Handles everything from 125 jhps to 215 swcs without a hiccup. If I were to buy another it would probably be a Kimber. Glocks are cool if you like them, me I like 1911's, to each his own.

Mine usually gets 150's or 155's these days, but if the only round available was the 175 gr Silvertip that would be just fine too, it's lovely.

Sure hope I have a grandkid who is worthy passing it on to.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned a Delta, Glock, 1006, IAI Javelina, Wyoming Arms Parker, and probably a couple of others. I would recommend any of them, although the Glock would probably be at the bottom of my list. The Witness is a good, trouble-free pistol and doesn't cost a lot. I would put it or the Smith 1006 at the top of the list. Delta's are fine but as others have said, you have to pay attention to the stiffness of the springs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were in the market for a 10mm, the Dan Wesson 1911 would be my first and last stop. The Glock is good, but the grip is REALLY chunky; too chunky for me. The Dan Wesson is completely adorned with Ed Brown parts (nothing feels better than an Ed Brown grip safety), and has a clean, crisp 4.5lb trigger pull right out of the box. They're available with BoMar style adjustable sights if you want adjustables. Really, my only complaint with the Dan Wesson is that they're a Stainless Steel only pistol; I really wish they had a carbon steel option. Regardless, you get a lot of gun with the Dan Wesson.

With light 10mm loads, the 10mm is nearly ideal for defense, and with stout loads, you're good for hunting deer out to 100 yards; what more could you ask for? Honestly, if there's a better all around auto pistol cartridge, I'd like to see it.

I happen to be 10mm-less right now, but I'm anxious to correct that oversight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Honestly, if there's a better all around auto pistol cartridge, I'd like to see it.

Exactly.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flame suit on and I've got a question. I kinda thought the 10mm was out of favor, am I wrong? Years ago when the 10mm was first introduced and the Glock was the new thing on the block a buddy of mine went out and bought one in that caliber. I shot the gun quite a bit and liked it. Then the .40 S&W came out and it seemed like evryone and his grandpaw had something bad to say about the 10mm. Most of what I heard was the .40 was everything the 10mm should have been. I even heard they were now downloading the 10mm to .40 S&W velocities.

Is the 10mm popular again?

Sorry about the dumb question. I'm not big on pistols. I bought a Milspec 1911 Springfield about 25 years ago and never felt the need to upgrade.

Thanks,
Terry

PS. mountainclmbr, I love that pistol!

TC1 #2172428 04/27/08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not dumb, but a bit out of sequence. The 10 was adopted by the FBI and they had complaints fwum their wittle gurls that the gun recoiled too hard and it was too big for their widdle hands. The round was downloaded into the 10mm FBI load then a S&W designer shortened it into the 40 cal which went nicely into a 9mm envelope. Less recoil and smaller receivers made one the widdle gurls liked. The 10mm does have snappy recoil and the guns are always on a 45 caliber envelope. It was a cartridge that found favor in guys who wanted some horsepower from a semi that gave them good useable range with a lot of smack. The 10mm is da man.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04/27/08.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been shooting the 10mm for some time and find it to be almost perfect as an all-around choice. It is powerful enough for use as a hunting round and controlable enough for self-defense.

True it is not as effective for hunting as a .44 Mag., but close enough when ranges are less than 75 yards (and most real-world hunting takes place at close range anyway). It aslo has a bit more recoil than a typical .40 S&W or even .45 ACP, but not so much as to be uncomfortable to an experienced shooter.....and is VERY effective.

The only puzzling thing to me has been the ammo manufacurer's focus on lightweight bullets at high speed. I've never been a believer in the "throw a little pebble faster" theory as opposed to "hit 'em with a bigger rock" idea. The 10mm, for me, is perfect for a 180-200 grain bullet at 1100-1200 fps. The 180's can be found occationally, but a good factory softpoint in the 200 grain is a rare bird indeed. Also don't understand why almost all factory rounds carry a FMJ or hollowpoint as oppased to a good jacketed softpoint designed for hunting......seems to me there would be a market for a 200 grain softpoint.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
TC1 #2172549 04/27/08
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At the time the 10 started to get popular, the 40 Action Express and the 40 S&W were introduced, the latter two fitting on a 9mm platform as ET said (about the Smith offering anyway). All three enjoyed brief waves of popularity but then LE seemed to settle on the 40 S&W mainly due to following the FBI's lead as they almost always seem to do. It didn't help the 10 any when the 40 surpassed the .357 on Evan Marshall's stopping power index and shot into the number one spot.

There is no doubt that, for somebody who handloads, the 10 has always been the top cartridge of it's diameter. If you're just using it for self-defense, there is little need for it though. But if you're using it for dual self-defense, defending against man and beast, the 10 is clearly superior.

I don't think the 10 is currently having much of a revival. This is just a spot on the internet that has a lot of educated shooters who recognize a great cartridge when they see one.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, it just caught me off guard to see all the replies on this thread. Like I said I've shot it quite a bit for a man that's never actually owned a gun in that cartridge. It suited me fine and I had no problem with the recoil.

Terry

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.