Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
TC1 #2172586 04/27/08
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Am I the only one here old enough to still refer to the .40 S&W.....as the .40 "Short & Weak"?

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

TC1 #2172841 04/28/08
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TexasRick,

The reason for the lighter bullets is because in heaver bullets, the 10mm has a tendency to penetrate far too deep for personal defense purposes. Perfect for field use, but probably best to use the lighter (within reason, I like 155gr) bullets for defense in the 10mm.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Honestly, if there's a better all around auto pistol cartridge, I'd like to see it.

Exactly.

Ditto.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
TexasRick,

The reason for the lighter bullets is because in heaver bullets, the 10mm has a tendency to penetrate far too deep for personal defense purposes. Perfect for field use, but probably best to use the lighter (within reason, I like 155gr) bullets for defense in the 10mm.

How deep does the 180 grain penetrate?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Depends on the 180 gr. load and the starting velocity......

FWIW, the Winchester STHP loads (175s at 1250) will fully penetrate a deer, quartering away, at 50 yards or less (haven't had the opportunity to try them further out..... yet).

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
" The 10 was adopted by the FBI and they had complaints fwum their wittle gurls that the gun recoiled too hard and it was too big for their widdle hands. ..... It was a cartridge that found favor in guys who wanted some horsepower"

THE 10 MM is about the ideal compromise between power/penetration,/recoil in a handgun for defence, and while its true it takes training and some skill to use its far from difficult, the FBI shoild have allowed the (GALS) that could not handle the 10MM to use a 9mm , s&w 40 or 357SIG but allow the serious guys that wanted to use the (BEST TOOL FOR THE JOB) to continue to use it rather than force everyone to use the lesser calibers so everyone was handicaped with a barely adequate tool.

THINK ABOUT IT, they swapped to the 10mm after autopsy results on a criminal killed durring a miami shootout where agents were killed even after making good hits with a 38 and 9mm on a guy with a ruger 223 mini-14
identical hits with a 10mm would have penetrated deeper and made larger more destructive wounds, dropping the criminal much faster
the main gunman was hit but the bullet failed to reach the heart, 6" inches deeper and the results would have been differant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

Last edited by 340mag; 04/28/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't read about the 10mm in years and had thought that it had been downloaded from what it had started out as due to wear in pistols other than the Bren 10... now it would appear that this is not the case? It would be accurate to say that a full power 10mm is hands down a more effective as a 50+ yard deer round than any plus p .45 acp round?
If the above is correct that makes it very interesting indeed. I forgot what the details are about shooting cast bullets in a Glock barrel.... is it important to replace the factory barrel before using cast bullets? If so is it also correct that a .40 S&W barrel can be used on a 10mm pistol without further modification?

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I haven't read about the 10mm in years and had thought that it had been downloaded from what it had started out as due to wear in pistols other than the Bren 10... now it would appear that this is not the case? It would be accurate to say that a full power 10mm is hands down a more effective as a 50+ yard deer round than any plus p .45 acp round?

IVE FOUND IT IS, with 165 -200 grain bullets, but the heavier 180-200 grn hollow points over a stiff charge of BLUE DOT seem to work better on hogs and deer

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000214401

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/d...ype=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~gnappi/10mmdata.htm

If the above is correct that makes it very interesting indeed. I forgot what the details are about shooting cast bullets in a Glock barrel.... is it important to replace the factory barrel before using cast bullets?

IVE used BOTH factory and aftermarket 6" barrels , BOTH work with hard cast, but conventional rifling and a 6" barrel seems to work BETTER

If so is it also correct that a .40 S&W barrel can be used on a 10mm pistol without further modification?

YES, http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=4814

but why youll want a 40 s&w over a 10mm eludes me? keep in mind exact shot placements critical to getting good results with any handgun, Ive killed enough deer and hogs with my 10mm,357 mags and 44 mags to know that where you hit them matters a great deal, and while larger calibers work better they all kill just fine with good hits

Last edited by 340mag; 04/28/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the links.... I'm frugal that's whygrin Was thinking cheaper easier to find .40 for practice with cast bullets if lead gums up factory Glock barrels... jacketed full power 10 mm loads for hunting/carry in general.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Whew---after looking at the FUSION pistols I will be getting one in 10mm. The 10mm is the ballistic equivalent of the 41 mag for all practical purposes..

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thanks for the links.... I'm frugal that's whygrin Was thinking cheaper easier to find .40 for practice with cast bullets if lead gums up factory Glock barrels... jacketed full power 10 mm loads for hunting/carry in general.
They say not to shoot handloads out of stock Glock barrels. I did for years before I heard about this caution. I guess there have been some guns blow up due to the not fully supported chamber. I now have a standard length Storm Lake barrel in mine. I haven't shot it enough yet to know if it's more accurate than the stock barrel but maybe I'm safer and that's not a bad thing.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is it important to replace the factory barrel before using cast bullets?
2ndwind -
Glock strongly cautions against using reloaded ammunition in any of their products. Sure, lots of manufacturers say this, but in a Glock, you'd better listen.

One of the things that makes a Glock so reliable is the deeply angled feed ramp. Problem is, that feed ramp ends up poorly supporting the base of the cartridge. With new ammunition this is safe, but when the brass has been worked a bit, it becomes weaker in the base, right where the Glock is weak. There have been countless stories of Glocks that have gone kB!, the vast majority of which have to do with reloaded ammunition, or modifications to the gun.

Glocks use of polygonal rifling exacerbates the situation somewhat, and really sours things when you use cast bullets. Cast bullets in a polygonal barrel really bumps up the pressure, and the Glock has much less margin of error because of the poorly supported chamber.

As a defensive pistol, I think a Glock is a great tool. As a field gun, I really require hand loads, which means no Glock for me.

If you don't muck with the design of the gun, and use factory new ammunition, the Glock will serve you well. Deviate from that plan, and you've entered a game of Russian Roulette; sooner or later you're going to get burned.

TC1 #2173955 04/28/08
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Fusion 10mm has really tight fit, but I did not have any break-in period. It shot well right out of the box. Full length guide rod....I am not sure it really does anything.

[Linked Image]

Here is a target that I printed ahead of time, but I finished off the remaining rounds in a box, maybe 4-5 rounds, so this target is really 12-13 rounds at 50 ft standing, two hands. It was a dimly lit indoor range and I had to put a dot on the back of the target and shoot the target backwards to see the sights against a light background. I have not shot it at longer ranges from a rest yet, but I know I can do much better especially if lighting was better.

[Linked Image]

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
nice....

IF and when I get caught up I will have to see about Fusion putting together a custom carry style for me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
with cheap eagle ammo at that nice shooting

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the clarification on Glocks and handloads.... I had thought it was just that they would lead badly with cast bullets.....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you don't muck with the design of the gun, and use factory new ammunition, the Glock will serve you well. Deviate from that plan, and you've entered a game of Russian Roulette; sooner or later you're going to get burned.

Kevin, I had been led to believe that an aftermarket barrel would "cure" the Glock's flaw with reloads. Was that naive?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is a group using DT Hard Cast WFNGC Beartooth rounds. It was not best conditions, it was 3:00 pm and I did not have lunch yet. Was pretty shaky after about 300 rounds before this target. The DT velocity is stated for 4.6 inch Glock 20 bbl so I don't think these rounds will lead a standard Glock BBL unless large qty of rounds which would be costly.

[Linked Image]
Target is for 50 ft with the DT 200gr WFNGC. Don't remember how many rounds, but probably 2 8-rnd mags + 1 for 17 total.
[Linked Image]

Edit to add: this is for the DT 200GR WFNGC, but not in a Glock, in a Fusion 10mm Long-Slide. It was a gun Fusion had in stock, but just what I wanted, a semi-custom for $1155!

Osama and Obama both have friends who bombed the Pentagon.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Very nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much does that pistol weigh?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

224 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.