-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, I mean as in what the courts in the real world have decided, as opposed to the voices in your heads.

I mean, you're free to believe Ohio State is the national football champion, too. But when you have a rule about how stuff gets decided, and then it gets decided, that's, like, the decision in the real world. The rest is.....well, fantasy.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
No, I mean as in what the courts in the real world have decided, as opposed to the voices in your heads.

I mean, you're free to believe Ohio State is the national football champion, too. But when you have a rule about how stuff gets decided, and then it gets decided, that's, like, the decision in the real world. The rest is.....well, fantasy.
Like I said, de facto.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I guess it was really draining for Hawkeye in law school as he continually opined to his professor the unconstitutionality of all those SC opinions ruling issues constitutional!

When you stop beating your head against the wall, the pain does go away. Maybe not those voices that still haunt you, but the pain really does go away.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My beef with currently popular political use of prison statistics is the liberal lament that the percentages of ethnic minorities in the prison populations are out of kilter with their percentages in the national population � implying or claiming that ethnic bias is responsible, as if consigning people to prisons is or ought to be a matter of random selection and representation.

As I understand it, people go to prison in some accord with their propensity for breaking the law. An "overrepresented" ethic minority is one with a greater propensity for breaking the law. If all ethnic groups were equally prone to crime, then the prison populations should reflect their relative percentages in the national census.

No liberal wailer wants to admit that an ethnic minority is more prominent in prison because that ethnic minority is more prone to disobey society's laws.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by isaac
I guess it was really draining for Hawkeye in law school as he continually opined to his professor the unconstitutionality of all those SC opinions ruling issues constitutional!
You got that right. My Con Law professor hated me (gave me a B anyway). I'd always stay after class to discuss the unconstitutionality of all the Supreme Court decisions we were studying, and he usually agreed.

I remember very distinctly the class in which we discussed the ruling that said the Federal Government could tell farmers they can't grow certain crops on their own land, even if they never sold it in interstate commerce. Even if they only used it to feed their own animals, and the crops never left the premises, because had they not grown their own feed, they would have had to buy it, and what they would have had to buy might well have been, at some point, in the flow of interstate commerce, so his not buying feed effects interstate commerce, thus making what he grows subject to Federal regulation.

My professor had to admit that this too was unconstitutional, at least in our private conversations. He was a lot more honest than you "living breathing document" guys.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'd always stay after class to discuss the unconstitutionality of all the Supreme Court decisions we were studying, and he usually agreed
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That explains some things. If he agreed with you so much in "private" conversation, why'd he hate you so? Did you bring him bad apples everyday? My Con Law professor had no problem with voicing a opinion as to the unconstitutionality of rulings previously ruled constitutional? Why would your professor only admit it in private?

I guess I'd placatingly agree with folks who stalked me,too.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

No liberal wailer wants to admit that an ethnic minority is more prominent in prison because that ethnic minority is more prone to disobey society's laws.

Ken your assessment, at first blush looks rational. But after some educated consideration it would become clear to you that some of our minority population is over-represented in our prisons because we have made them victims of an oppressive environment.
How can these people be expected to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and fly right when they have no real opportunity in this white mans country.
I myself feel guilty for the harm we have caused these minorities, and I think we should hold them to a lesser legal standard than we do our racially advantaged criminals.
We need to institute parity in our prison system by only jailing the most egregious minority offenders so that our minorities are represented in the prison population to the same percentages that they exist in our communities at large.
Comments as always are welcome.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
� what they would have had to buy might well have been, at some point, in the flow of interstate commerce. �

Years ago, I read of judicial "reasoning" that because a local company had its offices in the same building as another company (which was engaged in interstate commerce), it was also "engaged in interstate commerce." The author alluded to the elevator in that building in his chapter title ("Up and Down [on the elevator] Is Across [state lines]").

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'll assume you were being sarcastic.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

Ken your assessment, at first blush looks rational. But after some educated consideration it would become clear to you that some of our minority population is over-represented in our prisons because we have made them victims of an oppressive environment.
How can these people be expected to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps and fly right when they have no real opportunity in this white mans country.
I myself feel guilty for the harm we have caused these minorities, and I think we should hold them to a lesser legal standard than we do our racially advantaged criminals.
We need to institute parity in our prison system by only jailing the most egregious minority offenders so that our minorities are represented in the prison population to the same percentages that they exist in our communities at large.
Comments as always are welcome.

Whatever it is you're smoking my friend, please extend your stash to the rest of the Campfire.

I've had enough of affirmative action and you want to extend it to the prison system as well ??????

If ya can't do the time don't do the crime.
Period.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
mcmurphrjk, I suspect that you forgot a smiley face. No responsible adult is that stupid......

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Joe788
mcmurphrjk, I suspect that you forgot a smiley face. No responsible adult is that stupid......

Ah shucks.... just trying to give y'all something to talk about.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, at first blush and under the electron microscope Dr. Howell is SPOT ON IMHO.

We ain't holding anybody down, but their folks like Jessi and the Rev. Al (these ain't my clothes) Sharpton do a real good job of selling them the "poor me" shtick!

My folks weren't even across the pond till 40-50 years AFTER the War of Northern Aggression, we never were slave holders or involved in the slave trade and I feel not one iota of responsibility for or too them, PERIOD. Mine ancestors were farmers and foundry workers that came here for a better life and MADE one for themselves.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by isaac
I'd always stay after class to discuss the unconstitutionality of all the Supreme Court decisions we were studying, and he usually agreed
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That explains some things. If he agreed with you so much in "private" conversation, why'd he hate you so? Did you bring him bad apples everyday? My Con Law professor had no problem with voicing a opinion as to the unconstitutionality of rulings previously ruled constitutional? Why would your professor only admit it in private?

I guess I'd placatingly agree with folks who stalked me,too.
For a moment I forgot that you take everything 100% literally, Isaac. No, he didn't really hate me, but he got tired of my arm being raised in class, which is why I approached him after class to discuss the things I didn't get a chance to discuss in class.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

While I would be apt to agree with most of what you are saying on this thread, that is just plain wrong and mean-spirited!!!

I guess it was just fantasy thinking that we could be buddies!

PS-I see that your former QB is trying his darndest to pull a Clarett trophy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Steve...That was a cruel reminder when the man is still undergoing therapy!

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V
I'm not surprised that the people that think children becoming pregant in a cult is OK and no one else's business, are the same people that think it's OK for children to use drugs.

No one has ever said that children becoming pregnant is OK, or for children to use drugs. You're either a purposeful liar or really pathetic... neither one is particularly flattering, which is why I suppose no one around here likes you much. The only thing you can seem to add to a conversation is your own prevaricated version of what someone supposedly said. Luckily there are those here who DO indeed read and understand what a person is really saying. Sheesh.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Originally Posted by Stan V
I'm not surprised that the people that think children becoming pregant in a cult is OK and no one else's business, are the same people that think it's OK for children to use drugs.

No one has ever said that children becoming pregnant is OK, or for children to use drugs. You're either a purposeful liar or really pathetic... neither one is particularly flattering, which is why I suppose no one around here likes you much. The only thing you can seem to add to a conversation is your own prevaricated version of what someone supposedly said. Luckily there are those here who DO indeed read and understand what a person is really saying. Sheesh.

Penny

Sweetie, attention is all he wants. He's a lightweight: by my count, he has posted exactly one message on the Campfire during his tenure here containing thoughtful, original material--and that one was wrong.

DFTFT. Instead, feed Steve_NO and isaac. They're wrong too, of course, but they're also capable of reasoned, intelligent discussion.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But after some educated consideration it would become clear to you that some of our minority population is over-represented in our prisons because we have made them victims of an oppressive environment.

OMG! Those poor minorities! They are unable to control themselves and be honest. It's all someone else's fault too. Those evil white people cause minorities to break the law.

I know why OJ got off. It wasn't his fault that he chopped off his wife's head and killed the other guy. Evil white people forced him to!

I think you have great insight. Minorities are never responsible for their own actions. They are just helpless children and under the control of evil rich white people. That explains the mass murders in Rwanda, Mugabe�s destruction of Zim, the attack on 9/11 and every bad thing done by minorities.

I guess you believe that the Klan and Nazis are correct when they say minories are inferior?

I believe that criminals are evil and deserve to be punished and put away to protect the rest of society. Whining about how tough it is to be a criminal is sick. It is a lot tougher to be a victim than a criminal.

You also say that a lot of these criminals are committing victimless crimes. You think that drug crimes and prostitution are victimless and therefore not crimes. Easy access to drugs would increase there usage.

What do you think would be the consequence of widespread drug use? The hard drugs are very destructive to their users and they would not be able to function in society.

Huge increases in accidents would occur.

Druggie�s personalities change. They only care about drugs and cease to be productive members of society. The barriers to immoral behavior would be greatly reduced. This would likely result in a huge increase in bad behavior.

Last edited by ConradNY; 05/04/08.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
StanV is Isaac's reliable toady, which is why Isaac is the only member here who at least pretends to like him. That's the least he could do in response to such unwavering loyalty.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (320090T, 303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,243 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,518
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.