Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Still having a stuck case problem. I posted a couple months ago that I was having cases stick in the resizing die. I thought the die was the problem and some mentioned that a die will score and seize bullets... There was some support that dirty brass will eventually scratch dies.

So I bought brand new RCBS dies. Sprayed cases and inside die (first use) with Lyman spray lube. Case starts sticking about 2/3 - 3/4 into die and if I keep going, the case seized and the rim breaks with pressure on extraction. I've also tried the die with decapping assembly removed. For the record, I've been shooting 58.5 gr RE-15 under a 286 Mega, Woodley, or Partition in GRAF brass. No case extraction problem with the rifle. I've measured the cases just above the head and the fired are 0.4740 and sized are 0.4705. Speer lists head at 0.4763.

So the question. Is this a pressure problem, chamber problem, hard brass problem, or something else problem? I've never encountered this type issue before during reloading. Bright side is that I learned how make a stuck case extractor with a drill, tap, bolt and socket.

Thanks for any assistance.

HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe it's a lube problem. It seems the spray lubes are best for pistol cases, bottle neck cases need something better.
I've tried most of the lubes available. For rifle cases I really like Lee's case lube but, for me anyway, waxes such as Imperial Die Wax are perhaps the best; it lubes well, it's clean and easy to remove afterwards.

Few people fail to lube the necks and upper body but many fail to get enough lube on the lower body of the case and that's where sticking occurs! We can usually do without lube on the upper body and neck but we MUST lube the lower body of each case or it will stick for sure.

It also sounds like you have something of a chamber and size die mismatch. Cases from a maximum tolerance (large) chamber and sized by a minimum tolerance (small) die will begin sizing sooner than otherwise. It will require a really good lube too.

Last edited by boomtube; 05/09/08.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Almost sounds like your lube isn't doing its job. Maybe try a different brand. Myself,I've been useing a lube pad for 25+ yrs with no problems. I wonder if it's possible to use too much lube? I know it will cause dents in the casing as you resize but have never heard of it causing caseings to stick. I'm sure we'll get other ideas.

til later

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 6.5 Swede with a sloppy chamber that allowed my brass to over expand. Cases were a PITA to size but, I never had a rim let go like you report. I called RCBS and they had me send the die and 3 fired cases to them and they reworked the die to fit the brass, free. This was a dozen years ago but, I would call ECBS and see what they say/offer.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Boomtube and EZEARL are wizards... Perfect answers. The Lyman spraylube clearly states "Shake Well Before Using and Shake Often When Using" and I didn't. I was just using the carrier. Resprayed some after shaking and it worked fine. Makes me feel stupid, but it won't be the last time. I actually figured it out and came to post a never-mind or quietly delete my foolishness, but the wizards beat me to it. Oh well maybe it will help someone else re-read some instructions. Now the cap of my lube reads "Shake Well".

Many Thanks...

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Joe thanks to you for your tip. My experiences with RCBS have likewise been outstanding. Knowing they would "adjust" a die is helpful because I was already thinking a re-barrel and it was not a good feeling. A buddy of mine said he had a 243 one time and if he shot hot loads it was hard to resize them.

Learn something every day - its been a good one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sawbones66

So I bought brand new RCBS dies. Sprayed cases and inside die (first use) with Lyman spray lube. Case starts sticking about 2/3 - 3/4 into die and if I keep going, the case seized and the rim breaks with pressure on extraction.

Did you clean your "New" dies with a good solvent like Gun Scrubber or BrakeKleen before you used them? New dies can come coated with a cosmoline type grease. This stuff needs to be cleand off before use.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Get your self some imperial sizing die wax and I am pretty sure that will solve your problems.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (257 roberts, 1234, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,087
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.