Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tell me about those you've had, with details.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I saw a 180gr Remington Core-Lokt bounce off a black bear at 20 feet. I even picked up the bullet and loaded it for plinking.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Mauser96

How many places/times you gonna ask the same question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Originally Posted by Mauser96

How many places/times you gonna ask the same question?
I'd guess a few more since he's still confused why someone would use a premium bullet on deer...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shot a deer with my 300 savage 99 at about 100 yds with a round nosed speer 150 gr. the darn thing hit exactly where I was aiming and turned the liver to jello and exited in front the r shoulder leaving a fist size hole and the deer kicked around for a couple minutes before it expired. it totally ruined a perfectly good liver but the heart was ok as it only clipped it and tore it loose.I hate when that happens. grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had a 150gr NBT "fail", it only went through 1 3/4 deer (stopped in the far shoulder of #2) at a paltry 285yd. Both were DRT, so it wasn't to bad of a failure. Now had I been using a better bullet, I might have gotten 3 deer with that shot, so perhaps I should "upgrade".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was the cor-lok loaded to about 100 fps or thrown?

1 and done
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A lot of alleged bullet failures are most likely hunter failures. No bullet will work properly if it does not strike the proper place on the target. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thrown from a pard's deck to the garbage eating bear.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had bullets fail to perform the way I wanted them to, but I'm not sure who's responsible - the bullet or me. The bullets had a reputation for being too frangible for reliable penetration when impacting bone or heavy muscle, but that is where I placed them. In my defense, I was not aware of this reputation at the time, but I learned darn quick. Hey, everything we know we had to learn at some time. Those failures were my education. I don't use those bullets for hunting any more.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I once had a 180 grain hornady sp fail to make it through a juniper bush. I think it should have passed through and killed the deer I was shooting at.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I felt like a 150-gn Partition did less damage than I wanted, from a 7mm-08, on two different bucks that ran a ways.

That's about as close to failure as I can report. Been around 16 dead deer and 4 or 5 elk, and never yet seen a bullet recovered from any of them. These are the good old days, as far as bullets.

(Of course, since the above "body count" is paltry, maybe i just haven't seen enough to see a failure yet)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I felt like a 150-gn Partition did less damage than I wanted, from a 7mm-08, on two different bucks that ran a ways.

That's about as close to failure as I can report. Been around 16 dead deer and 4 or 5 elk, and never yet seen a bullet recovered from any of them. These are the good old days, as far as bullets.

(Of course, since the above "body count" is paltry, maybe i just haven't seen enough to see a failure yet)

-jeff

I think the majority of hunters would be lucky to see failures. The game usually runs off and it isn`t known if the bullet was bad, the hit poor, not enough gun, or what exactly was the cause of our loss.
Thankfully, I`ve never had to speculate on one of my bullets yet. I have yet to recover one except for a old Power Point from a whitetail tossed by a 32 Win Spcl. Obviously that one worked. The few remaining kills have been pass throughs.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have had a couple of cup-and-core bullets lose their jackets at the entrance hole when they hit deer. But both killed the deer, pretty much right there, so any "failure" is obviously debtable.

I have dozens of bullets recovered from animals, but probably only one out of every 4-5 stays inside, even on really big game. The fact that I recoverd them generally means the animal is dead. My general experience is that living animals object to having somebody try to pull a bullet out of them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
MD: Good post and point well-taken.....animals that get away tell you little about how the bullet did..... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: 150 gr 7mm partitions are actually pretty tough slugs...lighten up in that 7/08 and get some more speed.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My worst bullet failure occurred with a ballistic tip bullet in a 270 on an antelope hunt.
I was trying to fill out the block management form, and since I didn't have a pen or pencil in the truck, I was trying to use a bullet tip to write with. The Ballistic Tip, not being lead like the traditional cup and core bullets I used to use simply would not write. I was forced to spend 20 minutes scrounging to find swomething to write with.
Since this dismal failure, I have always been skeptical of those that raved about Ballistic Tip bullets.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had two ballistic tips from 1995 (approximate date of manufacture) fail on the same piggy, 150gr from a .308 at less than 50 yards. Both penetrated 4" and stopped on a shoulder. Pig went down to a 3rd through the ear, in all fairness the pig went about 300pounds but under similiar conditions I have seen alot of other bullets give plenty of penetration.

Im sure this was one of the ealier BT, long before they were beefed up but I went to the failsafe until switching to the TSX a few years ago and have not seen anything approaching that kind of failure since then.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Royce (edited)
The Ballistic Tip, not being lead like the traditional cup and core bullets I used to use simply would not write. I was forced to spend 20 minutes scrounging to find swomething to write with.

Royce-

What you needed was a bullet like this one (Patent No. 20030089264), with the cavity filled with ball-point ink.

--Bob
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bullshooter
Thanks for the information. I would be very interested in trying some of those bullets if they met the following criteria-

1. Contained a special ink the would write down to minus 30 degrees

2. Were available in both fine and medium point in blue and black ink

3. Had a ballistic coefficient of more than .6

4. Would explode violently on a marmot at velocities down to 900 fps

5 Could be counted on the break both shoulders of a Cape Buffalo at impact velocities of 3800 fps

6. Won't damage any meat on a 70 lb white tail shot repeatedly in the rump

7. Able to shoot less than 1/4 MOA out to 960 yards in my Ruger Deerstalker carbine.

8 Are available for the 29 caliber wildcat that Mule Deer designed

10 And are sold in packages of 10 or less at a cost of not more that 3.5 cents each.

Any additional information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated

Royce

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 3,523 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,505
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.