Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I just aquired some mammoth tusk, was thinking it might be neat to use some to make a knife. I have absolutely no experience making knives, but would love to give it a try.
I would like to know of some on line sources for making knives, and also some good places to by knife making material.
THanks

GB1

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Try TEXAS KNIFEMAKER'S SUPPLY....www.texasknife.com

Suggestion: Start with one of their kits: Ring Tail Special would be a good one. Kit comes with all materials needed, plus instructions. Building a kit knife will quickly familiarize you with the knifemaking process, and you will be able to build knives from individually selected parts (blades, handle scales, pins, guards, etc.) thereafter.

Good Luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GPA has it right about TKS, I've spent a lot of money with them. Jantz Supply in Southern Oklahoma is another source used for knife making supplies. Both have anything a guy could ever want for a knife, as well as books and videos.

I do a lot of reading over at www.bladeforums.com and www.knifeforums.com

They've both got forums for newbies to read up, post your questions and read the responses. One of them will have a sticky post on the newby forum linking to the Jonesy Tutorial, or you could google it I am sure.

I can't, as being at work, knives are dangerous.......

Also, no matter how much you read or videos you watch, nothing beats working with a knifemaker already, if you can find one in your area they can teach you a lot.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thans for the great info, and great advice. I definately like the idea of making one from a kit first-didnt even think of doing that, but it really would help to familiarize myself with the process.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I appreciate the advise too as I am tempted to try to learn too.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Great tutorials on this site. Not the giant collection like at Jantz or TKS but it makes it easier to make selections and avoid over thinking for a first knife. Knivekits also makes it easy with completed kits.

http://www.northcoastknives.com/

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks again smile

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the best books on making knives is "How To Make Knives" by Bob Loveless. IIRR, this book is still available, and I think available from some of the suppliers listed above.

This book goes into detail about grinding, polishing, fitting guards and handle material.

For someone just starting out, or someone wanting to learn how to do it, this book is a necessity.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Loveless book. I still see it at gun shows all the time.

It's probably easiest to get started using flat ground O-1, which is fairly easy to fnd, easy to grind or file and is very forgiving when it comes to heat treat. With smaller blades you can easily heat treat with a hot torch, magnet and oil.

If you aren't ready to try grinding the blade, there are plenty of sources. Too bad Bob Engnath passed. He had the best hand ground and heat treated blades out there out there.

There's a few knife makers on this board. Perhaps you can get one of them to grind an heat treat a blade for you. The you can d the finish work without having to have a grinder or doing any heat treat.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 823 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,396
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.