Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2200666 05/13/08
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've lived near the ocean most of my life and worked on the water for about twenty years and have never seen a rogue wave. I got to see one today, all up close, and I didn't like it at all, no sir.
We were working in Lockwood Folly inlet, headed out into a small ground swell and this thing just rose up before us. Me nor the boat captain saw it coming and believe me, when I'm in a coastal inlet my head is on a swivel, looking for things that might make me go swimming.
The capt did the only thing he could, slap the throttles forward and yell, "Hold on".
We punched thru the face of this thing, it broke over the boat and a LOT of water landed on the back deck. So much I wondered if the scuppers would shed it or not.
After we quit giggling about it we debated how big it was, I don't know. I do have the heave record, the boat went a full four METERS up and back down in a very short period of time.
I can go another fourty some years with out doing that again. cry

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
T'was Bush's fault.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad yer OK.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you're okay!

Quite interesting to read about rogue waves, I guess they're still trying to figure out exactly where they come from.
I've spent a lot of time out on the ocean and thankfully never encountered one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any possible link to the recent earth shaking in and around China, and did the folks on shore experience any damage?? Yesterday they reported the quakes were sensed by people over 1000 miles from the epicenter. After shocks are in the 5 range, so there is some major movement going on somewhere. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 05/13/08.

1Minute
IC B2

shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Any possible link to the recent earth shaking in and around China, and did the folks on shore experience any damage??

As waves go it wasn't big enough to hurt anything on shore, plus it broke about a half a mile offshore. We were in the inlet for about four hours and saw nothing else like it, and we were looking.

Any possible link to the recent earth shaking in and around China

A seiche? Probably not, I'll ask around tommrow if anyone else saw anything similar, odd stuff like that gets around.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
I've lived near the ocean most of my life and worked on the water for about twenty years and have never seen a rogue wave. I got to see one today, all up close, and I didn't like it at all, no sir.
We were working in Lockwood Folly inlet, headed out into a small ground swell and this thing just rose up before us. Me nor the boat captain saw it coming and believe me, when I'm in a coastal inlet my head is on a swivel, looking for things that might make me go swimming.
The capt did the only thing he could, slap the throttles forward and yell, "Hold on".
We punched thru the face of this thing, it broke over the boat and a LOT of water landed on the back deck. So much I wondered if the scuppers would shed it or not.
After we quit giggling about it we debated how big it was, I don't know. I do have the heave record, the boat went a full four METERS up and back down in a very short period of time.
I can go another fourty some years with out doing that again. cry

Glad you all are okay. On the bright side,some folks would pay about $100.00 at Disneyland for a ride like that and you got it for free. grin

Last edited by hillbillybear; 05/13/08.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out this video of Mavericks and Ghost Tree on December 4, 2007.

A local surfer named Peter Davi died at Ghost Tree this day.

In particular, watch the guy go over the falls at about 4:37.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFq1YdZZW8

Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN6QUylp9Uo&feature=related

As awesome as it looks on camera, being on the water, as you were for the rogue wave, makes you see these things in a whole different way.

Ain't nothing like it.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
nothing like living through the rouge wave and why when there is surfing somebody always has to be named flea

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
shreck Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those big wave riders are crazy.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shreck
Those big wave riders are crazy.

Nutz...BIG ones!! whistle

Todd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a commercial fisherman friend who lost 2 20 foot boats off Martha's Vineyard to rogue waves. One was broken in half, and the other lost her windshield and everything on board including fish and fishermen got stuffed under the foredeck. They are no BS, and a disturbance in the ocean floor miles and miles away could send a trough of water your way any time and aside from pointing the bow into the hole and reversing your engines, you're powerless. It's just all there is to live through it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course we all know that there really are no such things as rogue waves. They are just the figments of over-active imaginations or out-right lies. Any film evidence is just something that someone faked. Those who claim to have had experience with rogue waves (or even rouge waves, for that matter)are just members of the tinfoil hat brigade. grin (Please note the grin. - Glad you came through all right.) Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flying over Kodiak Island on a clear and windy day the new weather was creating solid waves visible from the air at fairly high altitude (for a puddle jumper). At about 60* to them old weather had ceated good big waves which looked remarkably like the new waves.

The pattern created was very much like checkering and amazingly uniform. Out over an area locally referred to as Sunken Spruce Island the pattern faltered and the waves started coming into sync with each other. As we came out to the front of the islands two points could be seen at once where the waves' cycles overlapped and enormous geysers could be seen from miles away.

It was about the most impressive science experiment I have witnessed!
art

PS Hey Rick, what do you know about big waves? In the dark? wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cool vids Rick, tks

ocean has some power

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you're OK. I've never seen a rogue in person, but commercial fishermen I know have, and lived to tell about it. They're real, and have--and will--kill mariners.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably 30 years ago Me,my brother and deckhand were bucking back in from and offshore tuna trip 300-400 miles out in a 70 foot drageer. Getting a little choppier the closer we got in to shore. It was 2-3 in morning and I was standing wheelwatch,checking the radar everything looked fine no boats,ships around for miles,what could go wrong? All of a sudden I see something white in front of us about 50 yds.First thought it was a boat and grabbed the wheel and was throttling down when it hit us. A solid wall of white water maybe 35-40 ft high and we were heading up the side of it. Got to the top and the whole boat just hesitated long enough for me to get out a few OH SH*TS, a couple OF OH F#cks and we started down the side and I mean straight down the boat was vertical, bow down and you'd almost have to look straight up to see the stern. I don't know what kept us from going straight to the bottom. I know the bow was completely submerged almost to the wheelhouse at one point and somehow it wallowed aright again. The deckhand who was in the focsle said that water had poured in thru the open focsle hatch so fast He thought we were already under. Anyway the thing was at least a couple miles long running from the NW into a SW swell. Never did hear what caused it.

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.