Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What is the best stuff for building up a Fiberglass stock? I need to relocate a bolt notch and reshape/locate a mag port. Which would you pick to do structural stuff. Build a plam swell, raise a check piece or comb ect. I think a putty type would be the best, spelled easiest to work with. What will hold and not break or flake off.

Note I am talking Fiberglass stocks, Banser McMillian ect. Not ram line or other injection molded plastics.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would use sheet fiberglass like you would on a boat or a surf board...but the first thing I would do is call the techs at McMillan and ask their advice.

West Marine, or any good boating supply store, carries patch kits for boats that should have more than enough material to do what you are talking about.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with RickB, doing as he says will probably be the easiest way to go. The type of epoxy you use to wet out the fiber probably isn't that critical, but you will want one that has a fairly long (1-2 hour minimum) working time since it might take you a while to get your part in place. Also, remember that the surface preparation of the part you're trying to bond to is probably going to be the most critical part of the job, so take special care here. Most epoxy/fiberglass composites can be easily sanded or machined, but the glass is very abrasive so it will wear on your tool or sandpaper more quickly. Take care to wear a respirator when you're doing that since inhaling those small fiberglass particle is not particulary healthy!
Test

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Marine Tex....

[Linked Image]
Bug Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MIGHTY PUTTY grin grin grin

Sorry
The devil and Billy Mays made me do it! crazy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mighty putty..

"Bonds wood to metal
Metal to glass"
I wish Mays would use it
To stuff up his ...

OH how I hate loud pitch men! laugh mad laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Many moons ago when I built radio controlled airplanes we mixed a fine powder called microballoons with slow-curing epoxy. The more powder you use will make the epoxy have a paste or putty consistancy and is easier it is to sand it to a contour. Marine stores carry microballoons. You can epoxy over a polyester resin surface but you can't use polyester resin over an epoxy covered surface.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glass microballoons are used in aviation to make syntactic foam which is microballoons (or other light weight material) and a resin system. Adding microballoons results in a thicker and lighter material the but the mixture is not very strong, relatively speaking. Strength varies depending on the resin system used, type of microballoon or other aggregate, and epoxy/balloon ratio. It would not be good for rifle bedding.

Edit ----- Read the post, stupid blush ------

Microballoons and epoxy make a fine filler and that's it's primary application in aviation. Lighter than Bondo (polyester resin and mostly talc). In fact it's my favorite filler when working with laminates. If you use it plan on between 2:1 and 4:1 balloons/epoxy by volume. Wear a dust mask, the balloons float like dust and will do you no good.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Bondo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 2500HD, 53 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.