Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 1234567
"It's a very fine-grained rust, and very evenly applied. The disadvantage is everything gets coated with the rusting agent unless masked."

I also remember from my reading that it is necessary to plug the barrel to keep the solution out. Seems like it could cause harmful pits in the bore.

Hot bluing doesn't seem to harm the bore.

The cold rust bluing solutions will cause rust only on the surface applied to. I plug the bore just because I can. Some guys "paint" the bore and other areas that are not to be blued with varnish or clear laquer and remove it after the last carding.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Craigster
Those of you who are using carding wheels, what speed are you running?

Kind of a guess, Craister, but between 600-700? I've got a variable that goes as low as 500, and I pick it up a bit from there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
Those of you who are using carding wheels, what speed are you running?
I run my carding wheel on my drill press. I pretty much keep it on low speed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1234567
"It's a very fine-grained rust, and very evenly applied. The disadvantage is everything gets coated with the rusting agent unless masked."

I also remember from my reading that it is necessary to plug the barrel to keep the solution out. Seems like it could cause harmful pits in the bore.

Hot bluing doesn't seem to harm the bore.
I use fitted dowels - but only to have some sort of handle. I remove the dowels during the boil-up. After drying the parts, inside and out, I fit the dowels and do the carding. The dowel acts as a handle during the application of the new rusting solution. I haven't had any problems with rust in the bores.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hello Guys - Great thread.

I'm wondering about the acid based solutions and the "nails" that are specified when formulating these. I assume we are talking here of "iron" nails - is this so ?? If one didn't have any known "iron" nails to hand what would be the best subsitute - ordinary cast iron pieces ?? Wrought iron pieces ?? steel nails ??

Cheers - Foster

Southland, New Zealand
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tentman
Hello Guys - Great thread.

I'm wondering about the acid based solutions and the "nails" that are specified when formulating these. I assume we are talking here of "iron" nails - is this so ?? If one didn't have any known "iron" nails to hand what would be the best subsitute - ordinary cast iron pieces ?? Wrought iron pieces ?? steel nails ??

Cheers - Foster
Howe's Book, The Modern Gunsmith lists 20 browning/bluing solutions. Most of them contain ferric chloride and corrosive sublimate, along with other ingredients. Formula #6 consists of a combination of nitric and hydrochloric acids, to which are added steel chips or iron nails. After the iron completely dissolves, distilled water is added and the solution is allowed to stand (in a blue bottle) for 2 days (!).

I think the iron nails basically form Ferric Chloride when dissolved in hydrochloric acid (HCl). The corrosive sublimate is Mercury(IV)Chloride and is VERY nasty stuff. I refuse to have anything to do with it. I always use a solution that doesn't contain it.

Iron, steel are pretty much ok for making bluing solution. You must avoid galvanized nails, as the zinc plating will wreak havoc with your process.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,858
Posts18,497,114
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.