-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Everybody's favorite anti-gun senators are at it again.<p>The following legislation has been introduced by Schumer and Kennedy. Long read.<p>SCHUMER AND KENNEDY MOVE
TO REGISTER LAW-ABIDING GUN OWNERS <p>Exploiting the media frenzy over terrorism, U.S. Senators Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) have introduced S. 1788, legislation that seeks to eviscerate the federal law that prohibits creation of a national firearms registry. Their legislation would make National Instant Check System (NICS) records-records on gun purchasers who have cleared the criminal record check-available to "any federal, state or local law enforcement agency in connection with a civil or criminal law enforcement investigation." The anti-gun pair introduced a virtually identical bill, S. 1253, in July. <p>Kennedy and Schumer introduced their latest bill in response to last week`s decision by the Department of Justice (DOJ) that reaffirmed that the records generated by NICS that do not result in an individual being denied the ability to purchase a firearm cannot be used for anything other than what the Brady Act-which established NICS-allows. Current federal law requires that all records of cleared purchases be destroyed, and although the anti-gun Clinton-Reno DOJ determined it could keep such records in an "audit log" for as long as six months, it also established regulations that specifically prohibit using these records for anything other than auditing NICS. Attorney General John Ashcroft ruled earlier this year that the original intent of the Brady Act`s record destruction requirement demanded more immediate action than the Clinton-Reno six-month time frame, and he established regulations instructing that destruction of the records must take place no later than 24 hours after the purchase-a decision that resulted in bitter attacks in the media and by anti-gun-rights organizations. <p>Currently, records of felons, fugitives, illegal aliens, drug users-all persons whose possession or purchase of any firearms is a federal crime, and who are blocked by NICS if they attempt to buy firearms-are statutorily required to be kept indefinitely. Those records are always available to law enforcement. Anti-gun extremists have been attempting for weeks to invoke the specter of terrorists acquiring firearms as justification for their attempts to end traditional American gun shows (see NRA-ILA FAX Alerts Vol. 8, Nos. 39, 46, & 48), and now they are doing the same to promote their attempts to create the mechanism to establish a registry of law-abiding gun purchasers. <p>NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre called the Kennedy-Schumer legislation "gun owner registration, plain and simple." He cautioned, "Clearly, this will be the basis of a national firearms-owner computer registry that would profile decent honest citizens, violate their privacy, and provide a locator to assist Kennedy`s and Schumer`s vision of ultimately banning private ownership of firearms. Of more immediate danger are the 'civil` data sharing provisions in this legislation that will make National Instant Check records on decent law-abiding people available to trial lawyers." <p>EVP LaPierre went on to ask, "What if Chicago Mayor Daley or the Attorney General in Massachusetts demanded custody of the entire NICS audit log as part of a 'civil or criminal law enforcement investigation?` You have to think about what a Janet Reno or any future anti-gun-rights Attorney General would do with this power." <p>Although the Schumer-Kennedy legislation contains provisions for the destruction of NICS audit log records after 90 days, destruction wouldn`t apply to records given to other federal, state or local agencies as part of an ongoing civil or criminal probe. Once the personal information is out of the hands of the feds, it could become part of a permanent record elsewhere, perhaps with the reckless city suits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry. <p>The attacks on Ashcroft began immediately following his refusal to allow the release of the names of tens of thousands of Americans who had cleared extensive background checks for comparison with lists of the individuals, mostly illegal aliens, who were in custody as part of the government investigation of terrorism. While Ashcroft was simply doing what the law required-protecting the rights of innocent persons-the gun-ban lobby formerly known as HCI actually suggested that the Attorney General turn his back on enforcing the law, and stated Ashcroft should have willfully violated federal law to allow the privacy of law-abiding citizens be invaded. <p>Even prior to the passage of the Brady Act, federal law specifically forbid "that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established," and when the Brady Act was enacted, further restrictions were written into the law to prevent federal agencies from retaining information on gun purchasers cleared after a federal/state background check. In fact, other than a unique number referencing a lawful firearms transaction, the law demands that the system (NICS) "destroy all records of the system relating to the person or the (firearms) transfer." But these facts are immaterial to anti-gun extremists, and they and their supporters in the media have launched a nationwide campaign attacking Ashcroft, both personally and professionally, for his efforts to remain within the confines of the law while working to fight terrorism. <p>NRA-ILA Executive Director James Jay Baker warns: "It is imperative that NRA members and firearms owners counter the media hype and explain to their friends and neighbors that this is not about denying law enforcement any records that bear on criminals or terrorists and guns. This is about preserving the privacy rights of decent innocent people." NRA members and the rest of the pro-gun community must contact their federal lawmakers to object to the passage of S. 1788, the Kennedy-Schumer legislation that would turn NICS into a de facto registration system for law-abiding gun purchasers. You can reach your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121. You can also find additional contact information by using the "Write Your Reps" tool at www.NRAILA.org.

OSAMA BIN LADEN YOU WILL BE MEETING ME VERY VERY SOON.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, at least they finally admitted it and came out and put it in writing what we have always known and what they have constantly denied. That law abiding citizens are "terrorists" and need to have records kept on them. Actually, I think that this might be useful when election time comes around. I mean, how much more evidence do we have to provide to the public in order to substantiate our claims that these people do not care one whit about law abiding gun owners? This should help us shine the light of truth to the masses.
Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Keeb,if Sept 11,2001 didn't provide the masses with the evidence they needed to see that registering law-abiding people does nothing to prevent crime then theres nothing we could say to convince them.If you notice Kennedy or Schumer makes no reference to crime prevention at all in their bill but instead decries Terrorism as a reason to disarm the population.What the pair of them do does not worry me as much as what the other senators do .We know what they want but what does your or my senator say, thats what is scary and what needs watching.Like the old saying goes::its not my enemies who worry me but the ones supposedly my friends.------------------------
Keep your powder dry and watch your back ---------------------

trigger
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trigger,
You are correct about Sept 11. The only thing is that the American Public as a whole has a notoriously short memory. This bill that was introduced is written proof of our contention that these idiots will use any situation to try and further their sick, twisted agenda. My only suggestion is that we keep this bill in our hands and present it to the public when it's time for reelection. What really sucks is that the senators from my state are all for this kind of crap. [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img] They are from the east side of the state and they cowtow to the welfare and communist clan in the Detroit area. They are inbedded in their office like a tick. Regards.
Keeb

Don't criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That way, your a mile away and you have their shoes.
Keeb;
I agree with you one-hundred percent but with the recent ruling by the fifth circuit appeals court I think the pendelum may finally be swinging back to the right.I think that the pro-second amendment groups should be pressing with everything they have to get as many of the feel good laws off the books as possible.The Emerson case will be sent to the US Supreme court and hopefully further the cause for us but who knows.I think the only way thier bill will pass is for them to hide it in some other bill, I don't see it standing on its own merit.But like you say we need to keep reminding the masses of just what they stand to lose.Mainly that when the 2nd amendment goes so will the others. You can tell the anti's are running scared because they are grasping at straws and gasping for air.______________

trigger
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hate my Senator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img]
(hey read my "Signature")

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Trigger,
I hope you are right. I think that with Ashcroft as AG, we will get a buffer from a bunch of the anti-gun crap that has been languishing in congress. I can only hope that some of these laws can be repealed, but honestly, I dont think that will happen. I dont know of any law that has been repealed once it gets on the books except for the Volstead Act and a phone tax that was repealed last year after being on the books for about a hundred years. I think that it might be easier to get some of these laws reduced on the state level than on a national level. Here in MI, we have a group that will be pushing to get some of the restrictions eliminated from our CCW law. The anti's are on the ropes here and we are going for a KO. Michigan Coalition For Responsible Gun Owners is the new powerhouse here in MI. It was our group with some help from the NRA that got our CCW on the books. Our group has grown from less than 6,000 members at the beginning of this year to over 25,000 members at the beginning of this month. We definately have the legislatures ear and it is looking like we will be able to get some of these "criminal safe zones" out of the law. I hope that Emerson does get heard at the Supreme Court. It will be a great boost for gunowners rights if it goes our way. Keep the faith man.
Keeb

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I doubt any hay will be made with this by Republicans in the next election. I cannot recall ever seeing them take a forceful pro-gun stance, or even calling their opponents on such ridiculousness. It is as if they are afraid of calling attention to the gun issue, so will never bring it up or forcefully argue it. And I think they should- our opponents are certainly not bashful in pushing their side up to and including outright lies, and taking every advantage of even unrelated events, such as 9-11. We are losing by default (pun) of our political leaders.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Keeb:
Keep after the anti's and don't give them any time to get themselves set.While giving them the old one-two punch go ahead and throw a three-four on them also.We have the same kind here ,mostly collected up in the New Orleans area.We haven't heard too much from them since they got their hands spanked on their lawsuit and its a welcome relief.We are fortunate in that the majority of representatives in Baton Rouge listen to their constituents instead of the idiots in New Orleans.They know they would be looking for another job otherwise.Keep the pressure on and good luck.________________________Keep your powder dry and watch your back__________________________
Regards and happy holidays to you and yours.
Trigger

trigger

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.