Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gents,

I'm thinking of buying my first motorbike to combat these bloody gas prices. I'd use it mainly for commuting about 17 miles each way to work. I've never owned a motorbike, or even ridden one, but I do have an ATV and I've spent many hours on mountain bikes, if that counts for anything.

What say ye? Is this a good idea? And if so, what should I be looking for in a first bike?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would give a dual sport bike made by Honda, Kawasaki, etc. a hard look.
Good mileage, cheap to insure and you can ride them off road as well as on the highway.
Good luck!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't do it. Motorcycling is a disease. Much like hunting and fishing. I've been riding for 20 years now. Go for it but be careful.

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What 340 said, a dual sport. Something Honda always works best.

Roy

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well i hate to discourage a new rider but maybe buy a cheap trail rider and get some time on bike before hitting road i started riding road bikes 20+ yrs ago.But there are alot of riders not skilled riding cause accidents and more autos getting furstrated at the bikes either riding too slowe or too aggresive

If you go through with this please be carefull

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As far as picking bike pick something with a lower center of gravity and comfortable example you don't want high center of gravity like the 70 honda cb's or 80's 650 special these are only examples and there are more and some may not agree i like the center on a yamaha virago or honda shadow even though pedal placement on shadow don't work for me.

MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS COMFORTABLE and of size you can handle

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something docile, like a Hayabusa Turbo......

Roy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree. A busa is definitely a good bike to learn on. Like this guy. 170 mph wheelies are no big deal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQP4v_Z0nQ

P.S. Poster, real reply forthcoming. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Called organ donors down my way.

Roy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kawasaki Versys.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
a sporster is a nice bike for beginner

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dual sport in the 450 to 650 CC range. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think he wants to ride, not learn how to be a mechanic........<g>

Roy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Harley Sportster +1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The dual sport recommendation is a good one. Find a small cheap one to start with and do some off road riding to get used to the bike before you start dodging the soccer moms on their cell phones. Get a good helmet unless you have a disposable head! Take an MSF class if you can.

http://www.utahridered.com/

You won't save any money with a bike, but you might find a new hobby that you really like.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While maybe not an ideal starter bike, this Yamaha V-Star 1100 is a decent mid size cruiser that cn run with the big boys, Reasonable comfort and 45 to 50 MPG depending on how hard I push it
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always been a dirt bike guy. I've had a couple of street bikes, but it seemed to make more sense too me to take a car on a long trip. I know many take their big bikes and there's nothing wrong with that--great hobby too. But in the 30 mile range a nice four stroke medium sized street legal dirt bike can be a lot of fun too. I used to ride one 23 miles each way to work in the summer for less than a buck a day ($1.59 gal days).

My favorite is big for a dirt bike, a TT500 Yamaha--that's a lot of power for a newbie. It'll come over on you off the throttle about any speed. (Makes me wonder why they came out with a 600 crazy ) I'd stick with a four stroker, unless it was a competition motocross racer, less hassles with the gas mix and less heat problems too. A 250 should be enough for a 160 -- 200 lb guy to learn on. It's nice to get up some 4X4 trails fishing and stuff on the weekends too, you won't see many hogs back in there. Dirt bikes are easy to load in a pickup to take to the mountains too. There's a reason us coyote chasers load them in the pickup backwards too, but that's an advanced course. smile They also work great for just zipping around town.

Traffic can get you no matter what sized bike you're on just the same--the trick is watching the other guy. I never assume that the guy on the side street will stop at his stop sign. If it looks like we'll meet there and I have the right of way, I'll adjust my speed up or down to not meet him right on the corner. There's a hundred other defensive driving tips--too many to list here, but that is one of the main ones. If he is already stopped there ahead of you, be ready for him to pull out in front of you too.

Once you're away from traffic on a gravel or dirt road, or even right across country, after you get the hang of it, the danger is mostly in how much you push it.

I used to tear it up on a dirt bike. I was even in a few motocross magazines when I was in my 20s. But I was a nut back then (not sure if I'm not still). I would head for the wildest black diamond mogul patch on the ski slopes, and hope to draw the meanest bull in the bucking pen too. After getting a new hip in '99, I've given the crazy stuff up for the most part, but I still get in trouble every time my old lady sees me on a dirt bike not going slow, even though it was a bull that got my hip. You don't have to ride a dirt bike to the edge though--they are pretty safe if you just putt around--that's just never been my style.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Roy

Good one! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lhonda
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Roy

Good one! smile

That's just repeating a 30 year old myth. Apparently you haven't had any experience with an Evo or later engine.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 06/02/08. Reason: speeling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,132
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.