-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend inherited a few firearms and asked me to help appraise them. The majority of them are the usual assortment of slightly odd and not particularly interesting handguns but there is one in particular that is intriguing. Double barrel shotgun, percussion hammers, 2 triggers. The only markings on it are Barrett Gun company. Barrett made percussion rifles and muskets in 1861-62 but I cannot find any mention of shotguns (which this appears to be). I have only seen photos of this as we are not in the same town so it is a little difficult to be accurate by just the photo. I dont know how to post pictures on here bt I can send them to anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks for your help.
Dion

Last edited by Sprint11; 06/04/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, and this may sound dumb but what leads you to believe that this is a shotgun and not a musket? Pretty much all the musket patterns that I know of were smoothbored such as the Brown Bess.
If its because of the bore size, again most muskets were of fairly sizeable bore as well, mostly fallling in the .50 to 80 range. The Brown Bess again being a prime example with a bore size of .75 caliber.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

The reason why I was inclined to believe it was a shotgun was because of the double barrels. From the descriptions and pictures I have seen of other Barrett guns, they we're single barrel. I have not seen a double barreled musket. That's what led me to believe it was a shotgun instead of a musket. However, I am probably wrong which is why I am asking the question in the first place. Its not readily available so I cant measure the bore to determine its size

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by Sprint11; 06/04/08.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know what I didn't even see the double barrel part. Sorry I can't be of more help on this. Are there any marks on the barrel to indicate bore perhaps?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
None that I can find.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wish I could help you. It looks like a very interesting firearm.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Couple of small notes: that's a break action, not a front stuffer and it's a cartridge not a purcussion gun.

I'd have to guess it's from the 1880 to 1925 range (most likely 1895-1915).
You need to check the proofs, as it could be either belgin or a cresent made piece. Cresent is known for marking guns however the buyer wanted them marked IE: Acme Hardware, Freds gun shop, etc AKA "Trade Guns"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a breaker alright, but those look like percussion nipples to me. Whats with that thumb lever too. That said the makers name looks odd though. Like too fresh of a stamping for such an age. Strange gun

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish there were more pics.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are firing pins, if you look closely you can see the heads are flared. I recently worked on an HR Davis and Sons or some such dbl barrel that had similar firing pins, mushroomed like a wedge head

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup you boys are 100% correct. I just blew up the pic so I could see it better. Those are definitly firing pins. I can't believe that there is no mark as to the bore though.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It's a break action rebounding hammer cartridge gun. To get the barrel off remove the forend, it'll have a lever underneath or a button at the front- if neither pull down on the tip and remove the forend. next grasp the barrels and operate the top lever. once open the barrel should lift off the frame. The proof marks, bore size and chamber length markings will be on the barrel flats along with proof marks. The proofs will tell you where it was from or proofed at least.

It's probably a Spanish or Belgian gun.

Last edited by Planemech; 06/05/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I broke my Crescent outta the cabinet, and it sure looks the same, the only possible diff. being that my thumb lever is a good bit longer.

As stated pull the the forend off and take the gun apart, and the answer will be told, but in looking at the stamping and it's style, it looks almost in the same style as my Crescent, and that is odd enough on a gun of this age to warrant me saying that it is very likely a Crescent-made gun, and I bet some reseach would show Barret to be a chain store of some sort, likley in New England.

Neat gun, but I would be very-very careful about shooting it. I do not shoot mine. When I got it, it came with a half-empty 25rd. box of 2 3/4" paper-hull OO buckshot, and in there was 1 slug round, same way. Problem was, it had the shorter European-type chambers!

it's a wall hanger now

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Look into doublegunshop.com. The lurkers on that board are ALL shotgun guys. It is most likely a Belgum made hardware store trade gun. Even if it has short european chambers and damascus barrels it can be fired if it is in GOOD condition. There are a number of gunsmiths who specialize in hammer guns who can check it out. European CIP shells in short lengths are available. And besides shooting 2 3/4 shells in 2 1/2 chambers does not raise pressure dangerously. Popular false myth is WRONG. And damascus can be safe. Again myth is WRONG. 2 of my money making pigeon guns are hammer and damascus.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you all for the info. It has been passed on to the owner and Ill do a bit more research on it. He doesnt intend to shoot it, (doesnt like guns, GASP!)just needed an idea of value and what he was dealing with for the estate. I still wish it had been a .375 m70 made in 1948 that I could sneak away from him!

Dion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doc - thanks! I never knew all that - do not doubt a thing you are saying!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,620
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.