-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A first-rate book centering upon the exploits of the Seventeenth Century Pirate/Privateer Henry Morgan, the piratical and freebooting "Brethren of the Coast", and the founding of the British settlements on Jamaica.

If you're like me, you know very little of that locality and era beyond vague generalities. A surprise to learn that the pirates' greatest victories occurred during gruelling overland campaigns against the Spanish in Central America, and with amphibious assaults against fortifications that would do the Navy Seals or the British Commandos proud.

A surprise too the stock these rough men put in their weapons, we tend to think of one smoothbore musket being much the same as another, but apparently it was not so.

Hard to find another era like it, unless it were the Vikings during their own time; Tough men living in a condition of rough equality, coming together to perform prodigious feats of arms where the payoffs were fortunes unimaginable. The winnings strictly parcelled afterwards out under agreements settled beforehand. Those same winnings then dissipated in the booze and whoring dens of Port Royal.

The book centers on Henry Morgan, of titled British nobility. As a foil presented too is the account of one semi-fictional character named Roderick, a British commoner pressed into the pirate's life and thriving there after a fashion, his life story a composite of many individual accounts.

As the political tides shifted, Morgan later turned from piracy to life on a sugar cane plantation, turning upon his former comrades, hanging many for the British government.

Pirate trials the world over tell us what kind of things happened at Port Royal. Outlaws were enouraged to confess before dying and to cleanse teir souls of their many, variegated crimes.

Some were broken by their impending doom, cried out for mercy, found Christ, or at least mumbled an apology and blamed their wrongdoings on drink. Asked what had drawn him into the life one pirate recalled "I may begin with gaming! No, whoring that led to gaming..."

Others reacted differently. "Yes I do heartily repent," one told the judge. "I repent that I had not done more Mischief, and that we did not cut the Throats of them that took us, and I am extremely sorry that you ain't all hanged as well as we".

These kind of mocking confessions run through the transcripts of pirate trials, and many a judge was incensed to see the condemned corsairs cracking jokes, laughing at the crowd, and generally living as they were about to die.

Also remarkable, their prodigious loss of ships (these enormously expensive and requiring months to build), replacements being captured, "chopped" and used as opportunity and fortune permitted...

..privateer and pirate ships were often specially modified by the raiders to suit their purposes. In the weeks before the mission, Roderick, who had joined up with Morgan, worked with the other privateers to get the ships ready;

...the first order of business was to rip out the wooden bulkheads in the holds, which were used in merchant ships to keep barrels and trunks from sliding. Cabins - first class and steerage - were gutted for reasons both practical (to accomodate the large number of men these ships often carried) and philosophical (pirates were democrats and degreed that no man should have better quarters than the next).

Carpenters would reinforce the deck to support extra cannon and cut slots in hold for guns or mount them fore and aft as "chasers", cannon that could be fired upon anyone trying to pursue or escape them.

Aboveboard the forecastle and any superstructures behind the mainmast were removed, as were the cabins in the stern, creating a clear deck ideal for boarding vessels or for stashing excess numbers of privateers, captives or booty.

Finally, the rig of the converted vessel could be altered by stepping the mainmast aft, for increased power in the wind. Pirates adored speed; an extra knot could mean the difference between riches and hanging.

Like grease monkeys cackling as they dropped a supercharged V8 in their father's vintage Olds, Roderick and the other Brethren took a stock mercantile vessel and made it into a thing built to fly.

And of their weapons...

Onto their customized ships, the privateers loaded boucan (dried beef), water, hard tack, and their most valuable possessions, prized above women and even Spanish gold; their muskets. The long broad-butted muskets and the pirates' skill with them were so essential to their success that one must pause to linger over these unique Seventeenth Century creations....

They bought them from French and Dutch traders who plied the waters off the New World, and getting a good musket and a pair of working pistols would have been one of the first priorities for a buccaneer.

They paid small fortunes to obtain them, using any seed money they'd brought with them from the Old World,from their wages as indentured servants, or from selling boucan or animal skins; there were a dozen ways to get the necessary cash.

They cleaned the guns obsessively and would slit the throats of anyone who dared touch them.

The pirate musket was an objet d'art, often originating in the shops of the great French gunsmiths: Brachere of Dieppe and Galin of Nientes... the privateers and pirates carried one-of-a-kind matchlocks and... wheelocks.

Gunsmiths also strove for lightness; due to their innovative design, French-produced wheelocks were lighter than their competitors on the Continent, a wonderful attribute when you're carrying a weapon on twenty-mile marches through Central American jungles.

Ironically the buccaneers, who many regarded as civilization killers, carried into battle an instrument that was at the forefront of Renaissance artistry.

Morgan, after a lifetime of prodigious exploits, died on his Jamaican estate in middling age of the accumulated effects of debauchery and hardship. Roderick? He died too....

Roderick had made his way back to Port Royal, working the logwood boats and taking a privateer mission whenever one came around. He was yellow-eyed, his blood coursing with malaria, and his body had been racked by years of alchohol intake that would have killed most civilians. He lived with a whore, and took part of her earnings when things were tight...

Now forty seven he'd survived two recent bouts of malaria... The teeth were rotting in his head, he was lean, he had new scars on his face (some martial, some nightlife-related), and, to judge by his general appearance, it didn't seem he'd outlive his leader by many months...

He departed the next day and was sighted in Nassua two years later. In 1695 he was lost at sea while chasing a French trader with a crew of Dutch and English pirates off Hispaniola. He left nothing to anyone.

A fine book, and worth a read (if'n I didn't already spoil it for ya). 2007 by Stephan Talty, $14.95 in paperback.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I read it a couple of months ago. Fascinating book, and well worth the time.

Nothing like Hollywood.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I just ordered it from Amazon. You haven't steered me wrong yet.

Gracias!

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He was yellow-eyed, his blood coursing with malaria, and his body had been racked by years of alchohol intake that would have killed most civilians. He lived with a whore, and took part of her earnings when things were tight...

Now forty seven he'd survived two recent bouts of malaria... The teeth were rotting in his head, he was lean, he had new scars on his face (some martial, some nightlife-related), and, to judge by his general appearance, it didn't seem he'd outlive his leader by many months...

Sounds like Keith Richards back when he was in better shape.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ethan, you made me baptize my keyboard, bro. wink

I read it when it came out, very good read. And a story I was totally unfamiliar with.

Read two swashbucklers since then that I would recommend for those who like a good sea story, sort of a non-fiction Patrick O'Brian.

The War for All the Oceans is a history of the wars of revolutionary and Napoleanic France vs. the Royal Navy....I cheated and got it on CDs....great, if familiar, story.

The other is Storm and Conquest, about the hurricanes that decimated the East India Company fleets in 1809 and the British attempts to take Isle de France, now Mauritius, which was a French navy base in the Indian Ocean..attacking the Indiamen going to and from India. I didn't know it, but the saltpeter in India was the best and strongest in the world, and the Brits desperately needed it for their wars. Lots of India and empire politics, many memorable characters.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have any of y'all seen Master and Commander? I've seen it at Wal Marts for $5 and wondered if it was worth it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not to hijack your thread Bird, but I got Morituri, a pretty good WWII maritime flick for $4.88 the other day at WM. Also, unrelated to the thread but still a good movie, got Warlock for the same price.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
+1

Great Book.

I too was surprised to learn that Morgan's greatest exploits were coastal raids as opposed to just taking Spanish and French ships.

As the political tides shifted, Morgan later turned from piracy to life on a sugar cane plantation, turning upon his former comrades, hanging many for the British government.

Thing was, Morgan didn't turn from piracy to plantation life. He never was a pirate. He had letters of Marque from the crown and was basically a mercenary/privateer/investor. He had foresight and knew that his very successes would precipitate an influx of traders and merchants, who would become increasingly intolerant of the privateers and their way of life. That was the whole point of establishing a British presence.

He saved his money and invested it rather than drink and whore it away as most of his men did. He was intent upon becoming a man of substance and wealth from the very beginning. When hostilities with the Spanish slowed to grudging trade agreements, what he was doing became piracy. He pushed it to the limit before ceasing his war upon the Spanish, but cease he eventually did. Many of his former men did not. Nor did they limit their attacks to the Spanish. Morgan could not support such actions if he wished to attain the status he had always sought.

Ironically the buccaneers, who many regarded as civilization killers, carried into battle an instrument that was at the forefront of Renaissance artistry.

Exactly. The same is true of their every action. The very Merchants and businessmen who deplored them owed the fact that they were able to come to the Caribbean and prosper in the first place to men like Morgan. They broke the stranglehold the Spanish had over the Americas and forced them to begin trading with other nations. After this was accomplished however, British interests that began investing in the region and beyond had no more use for such rough men. Such is the way of empire and Morgan just saw that coming from the start.

The detail and precision with which Talty relates the history of the true "Pirates of the Caribbean" is unmatched by many of the historical accounts I've read. And he presents them in an entertaining style with just a bit of speculation into the thoughts and emotions behind the action.

A must read for anyone who likes history, or even just likes pirate tales.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While we're adding recommendations and since you brought it up, try Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander. by David Cordingly.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
Have any of y'all seen Master and Commander? I've seen it at Wal Marts for $5 and wondered if it was worth it.

Yes, it is easily worth $5. I thought it was an excellent movie, but made for the big screen. Still, at $5 it's worth it.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards

Ethan...its spectacular.....I'm not a Russel Crowe fan but he's great as Jack Aubry. It's really a combination of two of O'Brien's books, with some changes, but it makes a good story.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I thought it was an excellent movie, but made for the big screen.

That's okay. I finally broke down and bought a 42" TV. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll get it next time I'm in there. They also had The Sand Pebbles for the same price.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,800
Posts18,516,252
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.