Hop To
#2245742 06/08/08
D
dae Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just aquired a J C Higgins model 51 with an FN mauser action and am having trouble figuring out how to disassemble the bolt. The safety is on the left side of the cocking piece. Can anyone help me?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. dae;
Remembering my manners, I will first say welcome to the fire from southern BC.

The second item I am compelled to mention is that I am not a professional, simply an ex-farmer that likes to tinker with firearms.

On the 98 type actions that do not have a 3 position safety, I find that bolt disassembly is easiest with a bench vice with leather, wood or lead gripping surfaces. It is a good idea at this point to note exactly the position of the release pin on the bolt shroud and the shroud itself is in relation to the bolt handle. A picture is a good idea if possible, as it must be in the same place when reassembled or it won�t fire.

I place the cocking piece into the vice jaws at the extreme right side, with the remainder of the bolt hanging out to the right and tighten the vice. The padding is important, as we do not want to ruin the front of the cocking piece where it contacts the sear.

Once the cocking piece is secured in the vice, depress the release pin on the left side of the bolt shroud while pulling forward on the bolt body itself and turn the bolt counter clockwise. There will be pressure as you pull the bolt, as you are depressing the mainspring as you unscrew the bolt from the shroud.

The bolt should now turn off of the shroud and expose the mainspring, cocking piece and firing pin which are one assembly.

The cocking piece is held on the firing pin with an interrupted thread type system. Pushing down on the firing pin tip with the cocking piece and turning it a � turn should get it free from the firing pin and release the mainspring. I should note that the stronger the mainspring, the more interesting this procedure becomes.

When reassembling, one does the reverse steps, but will still need to pull forward on the bolt while turning the last couple of turns to get it to the correct postition.

Sorry about the long description. Should someone give a more abbreviated version, I would suggest to follow their instructions.

Good luck with your bolt either way.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Disassembling a commercial Mauser bolt that doesn't have the military-style safety is fairly simple and the only tool required is a penny.

1. Holding the bolt vertically and with the bolt handle on the left, hook the bottom of the cocking piece on the edge of a work bench. Pull straight down on the bolt(this compresses the firing pin spring) until a gap is seen between the cocking piece and the bolt sleeve. Insert the penny in the gap and gently allow the bolt to come back up, pinching the penny between the cocking piece and the bolt sleeve.

2. Unscrew the bolt sleeve to remove the firing pin/sleeve assembly from the bolt body. The bolt sleeve locking pin will probably have to be pushed in for the first turn when unscrewing.

3. Holding the firing pin assembly vertical, put the tip of the firing pin on a block of wood and push down on the bolt sleeve(this will compress the firing pin spring and allow the penny to fall free). This will cause the cocking piece to protrude above the bolt sleeve. Turn the cocking piece 1/4 turn either way and lift it off the end of the firing pin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
dae Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
BC30cal and Mauser98,

Thanks for the quick reply and the good info.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Mauser98;
Thanks for the fine description that was indeed better than mine was.

I see I forgot to mention the shroud is still attached as well to the firing pin assembly. I knew I was forgetting something but couldn�t remember what. I shouldn�t post after 9:00PM!

Most especially, thanks for the photos, which are certainly worth several thousand of my words.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 14 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,866
Posts18,478,673
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.