Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Canadian writer (brilliant) Mark Steyn and his case......

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/06/o_stalinoid_canada_1.html

This isn't pretty.

All American

All the time
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally haven't heard of this case but there have been others just as ridiculous, the Human Rights Council has become a joke. I was once proud of my country but in the last few years I have become embarrased to be a Canadian. While there are a lot of good people here we are becoming a nation of whiners.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is barely getting reported in Canada. You have to look for it in the MSM. But the Canadian conservative blogosphere is all over it.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I find it incredible that Muslims (or anyone else) in Canada have the power to stop someone from quoting another Muslim.....

All American

All the time
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Stan V:

You're surprised at inequities when political correctness rears it's ugly head ?

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The case involving Mark Steyn and Macleans Magazine that is to be heard by the human rights tribunal dismays me on several levels.

It is a splendid example of a government agency that has run amok and is operating far outside its legal mandate and most likely beyond the pale of the Canadian Constitution. The original purpose of the human rights commissions (I believe that there is one in each province) was to provide protection for minorities against discrination and harassment as well as to provide a mechanism for dealing with hate crimes in forums such as the Internet. This seemed harmless enough, but the human rights commissions have expanded their activities far beyond these goals. They have become in effect a mechanism for silencing anyone whose opinion does not happen to agree with the current social and political orthodoxy in Canada. This is exactly what is happening with Steyn and Macleans.

This is alarming (or ought to be to any thinking individual) for three reasons. First, the effect of the human rights industry has been to silence debate in Canada on a range of issues: employment equity, immigration, multiculturalism, crime in large urban centres, and others. It has accomplished this, because many individuals rightly fear to voice their opinions for fear of being publicly dragged through the mud by the human rights bandwagon. Second, all of this has been accomplished outside of the regular courts and without the safeguards that they provide to the defendant. Human rights proceedings are conducted, quite literally, before a tribunal accountable to no one and from which there is no appeal. They are Canada's version of King Charles' Star Chamber. It's unsurprising, therefore, that defendants are invariably found "guilty." If one wanted an example of how easily we can lose our liberties, this is a good one. Third, all this shows the extent to which even the Canadian federal and provincial governments are afraid to oppose "human rights groups" even when there might be good reason to question the direction of policy. Do we want or need Muslim sharia law in Canada? Absolutely not. But you would have a hard time finding a public figure to say so clearly. Do we want or need publicly funded education for every religious sect? Again, no. And again, few would publicly say so.

I would like to believe that Steyn and Canada' leading news magazine could beat an attempt by four Muslim law students to silence them on the topic of Islam, but I would not bet the farm on it.

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Moby1
Stan V:

You're surprised at inequities when political correctness rears it's ugly head ?

Not at all. We have plenty of PC here....but, so far quoting what someone has said hasn't landed anyone in one of our 'courts'. I can't get a grip on who/what would allow such a complaint to get this far....

By the way, I'm a huge Steyn fan.

All American

All the time
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have been telling anyone that would listen that this would happen and all i got were comments like i should be more tolerant etc. Well i don't hear it anymore but of course it is already too late

S
sjr Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
its funny how these people come to our country to use our freedom of speech to push there views just dont say anything that makes them upset and then they call you a "Racists" Something your with this pictures, but I guess there not enuff of us rednecks to go aoround and fix the problem !!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think what will happen - and soon - is someone "convicted" in the FUBAR "Tribunal" system - when fined - will, refuse to pay the fine saying - "See you in REAL court" - and the farce will be over.

I think it'll be sooner rather than later.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Who'd ever have thunk it - me - lined up fighting for a Christian Pastor's right to spread hatred and bigotry. But - here I am - going on record as saying I'll write and phone my MP - over this one.

Freedom of speech is a right! If I violate Canada's "hate" laws - then I go to a real court - and get prosecuted as an individual. With a lawyer - and I'll retain the right to face my accusers. No "Tribunal" (re: "Kangaroo Court") for me! I'd die before I paid a cent in fines.

It's time we ALL wrote and phoned our MP's over this one.

It's even got me more upset than the ludicrous attempts at gun control we've faced in the past. This is beyond stupid!!!

That lady (and the whole Tribunal system) makes Forrest Gump look like a f**&^&^%$ genius!!!

Stan - we don't agree on much - but we agree on this! Thank you for posting it!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You're welcome. However, this thread is about Mark Steyn and his FUBAR case.....in a Canadian kangaroo court. Same smell as the pastor's case though, freedom of speech.

Unbelievable

All American

All the time
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You're right - I just read all of the links to other cases.

Unbelievable - is right!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another one of Trudeau�s multicult blunders. He and his LSD sucking commie friends are going to screw our countries up even after they are dead. Thanks for posting Stan V.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Stan V Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After the ruling of our Supremes today regarding prisoners at Gitmo, it appears our court system is as out of control as yours.......

All American

All the time
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's another great Canadian writer and publisher who was "summoned" by the Alberta Human Rights Commision"

The "charges" were eventually withdrawn.....

enjoy this and the related videos.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzVJTHIvqw8

Last edited by rembo; 06/19/08.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Interesting that two of the cases mentioned here involve a EzraI
Levant and a Mark Steyn.

Murf

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (2500HD, 808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 12 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.