Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
FOr grilling steelhead or salmon I use two cookie grates. Spray them and place fish on one. Baste with melted butter, a little garlic and lemon zest or small amount of a good balsalmic vinegar . Place apple or willow on the gas grill for a bit of mild smoke. When one side has cooked put the other grate on top and then flip. When that side finishes then slide onto a platter.
This way the fish never breaks up.

Murf
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Murf
FOr grilling steelhead or salmon I use two cookie grates. Spray them and place fish on one. Baste with melted butter, a little garlic and lemon zest or small amount of a good balsalmic vinegar . Place apple or willow on the gas grill for a bit of mild smoke. When one side has cooked put the other grate on top and then flip. When that side finishes then slide onto a platter.
This way the fish never breaks up.

As for lamb if oone is getting lamb and not mutton it has far less of the tallow. Mint jelly or sauce is the preferred additive.

Murf
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Murf, I think you are using the quote feature when you mean to use the edit feature.

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p
I've heard them called mahi, pompano, dolphin fish, pompano dolphin, dorado. It's funny because the pompano looks a little like a jack, a little like a permit. No chance of getting that to sample here.

The pompano is a little 'Jack' type fish. I think the permit is in the same family. But, if they are being marketed interchangably in your neck of the woods, they shouldn't be. In fact, I doubt your seeing pompano marketed commercially unless at your fish monger...not in a restaraunt I'd wager. OTOH, Mahi is very common on menus. I'm not sure I've ever seen pompano on a menu in AL or FL, where they're common, but I may be wrong. I don't think it lends itself to high volume commercial fishing. The dolphin fish, OTOH is a open water fish compared to the pompano which are usually caught in the surf...pompano like sand fleas for bait. Mahi is marketed under the "Mahi mahi" name because the term "dolphin fish" is confusing to the unwashed masses who'd think they were being served Flipper.

BTW, FWIW,

Those pics were off of google. Not mine.

War Damn Eagle!

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My fish monger told me today that the wild salmon is coming in next week. I bought Swordfish today for $8 a pound and, for comparison, the wild King Salmon will be starting off at $12. I still buy a bunch and vacuum bag it for the Fall and Winter. I made three bags of Striped Bass the other day fresh from Narragansett Bay and even though I'm about done buying codfish, I'll still pay for King Salmon. It's the king of fishes.
Have to differ. The unquestioned king of fishes is pompano. It's the prime rib of fish. So delicious. You cook them whole in the oven. First cover with flour/salt/pepper, then in the oven at a very hot setting for like fifteen minutes until golden brown. Then you pull the skin back, and the meat is the best tasting fish you've ever had. Doesn't need anything else.

TRH,

I think I've seen pompano in fish shops in FL, but never on a menu, or am I wrong?

Edit to add: I think I answered my own question. I googled up a fishing report from 2001 that talked about "commercial pompano" fishing. A good fisherman turned in a daily high 26 fish sold to local mongers and restaurants at $5.00 a lb. At 15-20 bucks a fish from the fisherman, that don't lend itself to an affordable meal by the time it's processed and cooked commercially.

Last edited by .280Rem; 05/27/08.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
My fish monger told me today that the wild salmon is coming in next week. I bought Swordfish today for $8 a pound and, for comparison, the wild King Salmon will be starting off at $12. I still buy a bunch and vacuum bag it for the Fall and Winter. I made three bags of Striped Bass the other day fresh from Narragansett Bay and even though I'm about done buying codfish, I'll still pay for King Salmon. It's the king of fishes.
Have to differ. The unquestioned king of fishes is pompano. It's the prime rib of fish. So delicious. You cook them whole in the oven. First cover with flour/salt/pepper, then in the oven at a very hot setting for like fifteen minutes until golden brown. Then you pull the skin back, and the meat is the best tasting fish you've ever had. Doesn't need anything else.

TRH,

I think I've seen pompano in fish shops in FL, but never on a menu, or am I wrong?

Edit to add: I think I answered my own question. I googled up a fishing report from 2001 that talked about "commercial pompano" fishing. A good fisherman turned in a daily high 26 fish sold to local mongers and restaurants at $5.00 a lb. At 15-20 bucks a fish from the fisherman, that don't lend itself to an affordable meal by the time it's processed and cooked commercially.
It's served in very expensive restaurants in the North East (I've had it in Long Island restaurants). You are correct, though, oddly you can't seem to get it in a Florida restaurant, which is why I have to buy it from the fish market here and make it myself, though it's only occasionally available even there (They generally keep a list of folks who want to be called as soon at it comes in, and I got on that list as soon as I moved here).

Not at all hard to make, thankfully. Meat is so naturally moist and fatty that you practically cannot ruin it by over cooking. At least I've never had one that was anything short of delicious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pompano was a rare sight on a Florida menu even 20 years ago. The fish we would see daily on the docks then we almost never see any more at least in the same size and quantity. We would clean 60# grouper and red snapper daily. Things really have changed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hawkeye
Yes, I have eaten Pompano a number of times. Yes, it is good, but it never just blew me away the way black cod does...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stetson
Pompano was a rare sight on a Florida menu even 20 years ago. The fish we would see daily on the docks then we almost never see any more at least in the same size and quantity. We would clean 60# grouper and red snapper daily. Things really have changed.

I remember a day,oh maybe 27 or so years ago, only a 6 hour trip out of Destin, where I went with my dad, and our 2 cousins. 4 fishermen...we brought in 30 King, and they were all good sized...not trophy, but 15-35 lbs per. And I recall seeing boat after boat bringing in huge hauls of King, Snapper and Grouper, not to mention Triggers and Sheepshead. and all very large fish. It was common 25 years ago. They used to think you couldn't fish the Gulf of Mexico out...they were wrong. The commercial fishermen have griped about the limits, but the GoM is starting to come back.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is pretty stunning when I think back about it. I worked at a little place right on the docks that was built out of a fish camp in the 50's. During race weeks etc the line to eat would be 1-2 hours long. The guy that owned the place was a commercial fisherman so the vast majority of what we served was fresh caught. He even made his own boat hulls.
I still remember making him a fried chicken sandwhich W/mayo & pickles every day. Part of the restaurant was right over the water. When it would storm the place would shake and the roof would leak. One of the walk in coolers was a converted semi trailer with a sliding patio door. LOL But I learned a lot there.
They would bring in huge loads of grey and golden tile, shrimp, grouper and red snapper.
I haven't seen a grouper or snapper the size of what we used to get there on a daily basis in many moons.
We always had Mackeral on the menu as well. Lately I've been thinking about grilled Wahoo.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I LIKE salmon and generally cook it one of two ways. First, is to season with salt, pepper and garlic, spray skin side with canola spray oil, and grill over low heat while second (indirect) burner is on high, about 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Don't flip.

The other way is skinned, same seasonings, and pan fried in butter on both sides.

If you do not like salmon, cook some other way, preferrably with a marinade or something that will make it not taste like salmnon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are very fortunate to have great quality lamb here in Northern California. It's finding a decent used gun for a good price that we can't seem to pull off...

Here's a lamb recipe that I like very much:

Have your butcher bone a leg of lamb.
Prepare a marinade of
1 pint plain yogurt
2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
juice of 1 lemon
handful of chopped mint (can also use dill, parsley, or combination)
2 T olive oil

Cover lamb with the marinade and refrigerate overnight.

Grill over med-high heat till desired doneness.

Serve with pita bread and cucumber salad.

Good cooking!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I make salmon on foil on the grill. Use a mixture of 2 parts olive oil with one part white wine and lemon juice. Add lots of dill weed, capers. black pepper and Lowery's Salt and some green onion, then blend into a slurry. Preheat grill med hi, place unskinned salmon fillet on foil skin side down. Cook 15 min w/o turning basking several times with mixture.
Venison is usually gamy because it wasn't taken care of properly. I cut my own so that isn't a problem. Here are some tips: Skin the animal as soon as is practical.Allow to set up overnight, weather permitting, to facilitate cutting. Do not age, the decomposing tallow gives it the strong taste. Butcher with knife do NOT cut bones. Marrow spread onto meat from saw spoils quickly-even in the freezer-since it's very rich.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I always grill Salmon in Foil with butter, pepper and salt. Just make sure the foil doesn't leak and you are set to have a buttery yummy dish.

There is room for all of God's creatures...right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2 cents

I�ve used this recipe with Chinook, sockeye, coho and halibut, Chinook and sockeye seem to be the best. This works well for 5-10 pounds of fillets. My preference is to burn some birch and alder logs into coals and cook over them, just the right amount of smoke flavor, I cheated with the charcol when I took the pic.

Take one stick of butter and let it soften, dice up 5 cloves of garlic, 1-2T fresh dill, juice of a lemon and combine. Pour onto some parchment paper. Roll it up and put it in the freezer until it firms up, I don't know how long this takes other than by the time you get the bbq going and the fish on the foil wrapped grill it's ready.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As with any fish, cook until it just firms up. Can't imagine anyone not liking salmon served this way. And please don't forget the

[Linked Image]

I need to see if I can't find some of that fabled sable fish, as the store bought black cod I got was less than impressive, but based on the way it looked, I don't think it was handled that well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My favorite way:
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 21 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.