Print Thread
Hop To
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Guys, Just noticed what MIGHT be the beginning of very slight galling on one bolt lug of a nice used bolt action I picked up.I greased the lugs and ran the bolt for a while to see if it got any worse and it didn't, it is VERY slight.Any suggestions?? Leave it alone or would you do something with it?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stainless action? If it were mine, I'd first check headspace to see if I had a thou or so leeway and go a brief lug lap.. Then ensure a dollop of grease is always present on each lug thereafter..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might clean the insides of your actions. Use a cotton dental roll pushed through a hole you drilled in a wood dowel.

For lube grease with a moly it will resist galling better than grease without it. Use a grease made with a synthetic oil.

W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply"s Guys! It's an FN commercial mauser action and I use Montana Xtreme grease, also the action has been cleaned.

Last edited by wiktor; 06/10/08.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
This slight galling might have been there since the rifle was new, no telling. If it were my rifle, I would keep the lugs lightly greased and watch it for changes.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look carefully at the metal behind the split lug for possible cracks. I have seen more than one FN with such cracks from being run too hot. The ones I have seen were obvious to the naked eye, but if it was me I would look into an X-ray or other NDT.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks Guys! Left lug looks as new as does bolt face. Rifle looks pretty close to new. Galling on right lug is extremely minor.It only shows very slightly at bottom of right lug, I also wondered if it was from the initial machining???

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Since it's apparently very minor, I'd go with moly grease applied and leave it alone..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
wiktor,

If your FN is chrome moly, I would be surprised if the metal contact is producing galling. On stainless steel like metal contacts galling results from the surfaces "sticking", and you can even pull bits of metal away when you break the contact. I first learned about such behavior with 416SS in reactor plant piping systems in the 60s.

Perhaps you are seeing some wear in on that lug surface. I use a bit of several different greases on bolt cocking and locking surfaces, I can't tell that one is better than another.

I would use grease as the others suggest, and keep an eye on it. The FN actions I have seen with damage were the result of rechamber jobs that ended up with too much bolt thrust.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sitka deer,

Xray examinations are not particularly good at identifying fine cracks. The strength of Xray examinations lie in determining subsurface discontinuities. It take a good technician to properly develop the film and the orientation has to be just right to typically see indications (cracks).

For most cracking the traditional NDT (non destructive testing) method is magnetic particle testing (MT) for ferretic metals and dye penetrant testing (PT) for austenetic or ferretic steels. For PT the indication must be open to surface. It may be far to small to see visually but it must allow the dye to be drawn into the indication by capillary action. MT will detect some subsurface discontinuities (cracks) but they must be very shallow. DC mag partical units have a much greater penetrating depth but the AC units are usually hand held and portable. In either case make sure that person performing the testing is credible. Interpretation of the results is paramount.

Sorry if I bored anyone to tears.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It could be that the two lugs are not bearing evenly against the shoulders inside the receiver.

FN commercial actions are, I think, pretty hard and were machined to close tolerences. One possibility is that a too high pressure load might have been fired in it and either the lug or shoulder set back. You might want to have the headspace checked.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
From your description I wouldn't even worry about it...If it gets worse then take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed, but most guns show a little wear in that area, and it's not really galling, they just take a fit.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is the other lug making solid contact?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply's!Yes, both lugs are making solid contact and gun does not appear in any way to have fired hot loads, or many rounds at all.Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,191
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.