Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All,

I have a Savage 11FL in .223rem and it seems to have a problem feeding rounds from the magazine. The mag. hold four rounds, but for some reason has problem keeping itself level. I've had the rounds are nosediving down, rounds nose up, and even rounds not coming up completely to feed which results in an empty chamber when I though I had one chambered. Hope I'm conveying the problem correctly. Is there anything that can be done to fix this particular problem? Thanks for any help.

Leo

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not familiar with this rifle, but if it has a box magazine, it sounds like the follower is binding on something.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
First thing I'd check is the follower. Ensure it's movement on all sides is unencumbered.. If that's ok, then check the magazine spring for proper shape/tension...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dumb question, but what is the "follower"

This Savage has a blind magazine. I notice that when I push down on the mag floorplate that it doesn't readily level itself afterwords.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
If it is a blind mag then what you are refering to as a mag floorplate is the follower. The follower is the part that the shell sits on as you feed it from the top. A floorplate would be on the bottom and allow you to empty the magazine from the bottom either hinging down or removing the floorplate. If the follower doesn't readily return then there is something that is out of alignment or some coarseness that needs to by polished out.
-Don

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The followers can be installed backwards on some rifles. Check to see if yours is reversed.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
The follower is the metal piece that pushes up the rounds. It sits on top of a spring that puts the pressure on the follower. The bottom of that spring is probably mounted into a plate that rests on the bottom of the blind box. The follower runs up and down in a metal magazine box. That box fits snugly up inside the rails of the action. Some rifles are designed to feed off the rails, and some are designed to feed off the top lips of the magazine box. Also, there needs to be some method of holding the box up into place in the action.

Your description sounds like somebody may have reassembled the rifle without the magazine box. You need to look at your rifle and see if any of these elements are missing or damaged. Doing a Google search of the Internet should give you an exploded view of your rifle, and all of its parts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.