Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a question about the 257 Weatherby mag, and I was not so sure about where to put it, but chose this forum. The first part is geared more towards gun scribes, but the second is geared towards anyone with experience with this cartridge

I would like to know if there are any upcoming articles that you scribes know of concerning this cartridge? I have been thinking about this cartridge - seems that in the last few years I have been finding myself wanting a "25-Roy" more and more. In 2009 I will have together enough dough for either a used Mark V or a rebarrel/new scope of an exiting gun, so I was hoping to find some dope on loading/shooting/actual use of this cartridge in the Mark V (I am familiar with and a bud owns a Vanguard-am not trying to discount it, but want info on the Mark V)

Assuming that I decide to spill the beans and do this, I may also decide to rebarrel a particular rifle that I have in mind, and sure would appreciate some info on velocities/loads/twist rates that I could expect, should I decide to scratch the itch. What kind of real-world hunting experiecne have you had with this cartridge? Sure would like to hear, especially with the 100-120gr. projectiles, geared towards deer.

Thanks for looking!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Iambrd: No info on pending articles, but the cartridge is great at reaching way out and touching deer & pronghorn in a hurry with 100 grain slugs. I've made no attempts on larger game like elk, but premium slugs would probably work there quite well with some discretionary placement. On the downside, things can be a bit explosive on close in targets, so don't expect to eat right to the edge of a pencil sized bullet hole if one takes on a shoulder or ham.

I had some initial tuning issues and fouling with my Mark V, but barrel floating/glass bedding and moly brought it right around. As to the fouling, it seems to be a problem for me when slugs pass the 3500 fps mark, regardless of make/model. Glass bedding is also a norm for me as I live in an environment where the word humidity is seldom used. I actually floated my barrel 3 times before the stock stopped moving. Furniture joints etc all have to be reworked too, so nothing involving wood surprises me. I love the look and feel and joy of working with wood, so I'll put up with it.

They are scary fast and one can reload to factory velocities with our modern powders. I've dialed mine in for a 300 yard zero. If one is looking at giving game some air under the crosshairs, it's probably too far to shoot anyway as it will be a long walk over there. In my book the 257 and 30-378 are the two finest Weatherby cartridges ever made.

I'm working up a 240 now. I really needed something to fit in that huge empty slot between a 6mm Rem and the 257. In my book the 257 is the finest big sky deer/pronghorn cartridge ever, and several sources report it was Roy Weatherby's favorite too.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/05/08.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer wrote an article for Rifle magazine last year on the 25 calibers, and gave load info. Had great things to say about his 257 Roy. Had a picture of his wife's ULA Bob on it (the ugly green striped one!). Also an article on the 257 Roy in Rifle last year - one of the guys bought a 257 Roy from the custom shop and wrote about it.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Win 70 SS Classic (started out a 7RM), McMillan Classic/Winlight, #3 Lilja 1:10 3-groove. 100gn TSX's/SGK's @ 3665FPS W/Ramshot Magnum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exit 160# Bear, 100TSX, 265yds, impact velocity 2950fps

[Linked Image]

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rem 700 action Rock #3 10 twist fluted.... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
iambrb

I bought a 257 Wby Mark V Ultra Lightweight mounted with a VXIII 4.5-14 X 40mm, Beautiful set-up, and would shoot factory ammo,120s in little clover leaves. The first time a started reloading for it it became apparent that longer 120 bullets would not feed from the magazine. Long story short, I'm waiting for a replacement barrel for it now and is sitting at the service rep in western Canada. Even with out the problems centred around the feeding problem I still didn't care for it very much. I think it was a simple fact of wanting was better than getting. When I get it back it will be a wedding present for my new son-in-law. I do however have a 257 Roy ordered in a Remington CDL SF. Still like the cartridge but not the rifle so much.

Hunting experience with it. Me, I never shot anything but the son-in-law shot his first two deer with it. Even with the 120's a lot of meat loss. I was working on some 130 WCs and 120 Swifts before I sent it in. The front end of the Noslers Partitions are a little to explosive for this cartridge I think.

Hope this helps a bit.
Jim

Just my opinion ......and I have so few.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.