Print Thread
Hop To
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
We are looking to get back into upland hunting and skeet and trap shooting. She wants a pump. Looking for some thing in the mid price range. We will not be duck hunting. We will go handle some before we buy but if you have suggestions on models and makes that would help thanks.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington 870. By far the finest pump avaiable today. You did not say how big a gal you girl friend is but if she is a new shooter and small of frame look at a 20 ga. There should be tons avaiable used in you're area or look at gunbroker.com, they will have piles of them, dont forget to hit the pawn shops too.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Usually don't offer much shotgun advice, but I would strongly suggest a 20 O/U for her upland game and skeet shooting.
Please have her handle both models and preferable shoot both.
There are more options in price these days. This one is cheap and works well for two of my friends: http://www.yildizshotgun.com

I have shot it and like it. I like my Ruger a little better, but 3 times the price.

stumpy

E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you she is 5'9 so she is not a tiny thing. I think we will go handle some and then that is a good idea to start watching gun broker and some pawn shops.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For pumps its hard to beat an 870. I've also got a 1949 manufactured Ithaca 37 Featherlight in a 20 guage that is one of my favorites, but it kicks like a crazed mule.

Most of my shooting is now done with a Beretta Al391 and Beretta 686 White Onyx O/U. I highly recommend either of these guns, but they're more than you're wanting to spend.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i suggest either the rem 870 wingmaster or ithaca 37 haven't had one that kicked like a mule but each gun has it's own character.I say the wingmaster being the better metal then the express.If you have a chance to have her shoot a o/u she will probally prefer it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is all about fit and finding the best shotgun for her has a lot more to do with her than price or other considerations. I find people like shooting shotugns much more if they actually hit something when they shoot them.

Eye dominance needs to be checked also.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
You asked for advice, so here's mine. If you have a girlfriend who wants to hunt and shoot with you, hang onto her. Be nice to her. Buy her any gun she wants. She's a keeper. Advice from a dirty old man.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by QuarterChoke
You asked for advice, so here's mine. If you have a girlfriend who wants to hunt and shoot with you, hang onto her. Be nice to her. Buy her any gun she wants. She's a keeper. Advice from a dirty old man.

Now that's good advice!!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned a number of 870's and they can't be beat for dependability, and they are inexpensive. I have also owned a couple of Ithaca's. I have a Browning 12 gauge, but it feels to heavy to me. They are all good guns.

But for upland game, I will take my Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge everytime(if I want to use a pumpgun). I can carry it all day without too much effort, and it just seems to fit me well.
If hunting is the primary object, it is a sweet gun. Yes, you will pay a little more for ammo.

However my first choice would be a double barrel.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
QuarterChoke has the best advice of all hands down

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (257 roberts, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 2500HD, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.