Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Yeah, the extended warranties make a lot of sense with today's rigs--but I'm also hanging on to my 90's trucks--just enough technology to run reliably and with power, but not so technical I can't work on them......

Absolutely... Just make sure it's offered and backed by the company (as in Ford/Chev etc..) and NOT an aftermarket..

With all the crap on these vehicles now, and extended service contract is worth every dime.. Just one repair can make you come out even.. Happened that way to me about 6 years ago; turbo went south on my '99 F-350 PSD.. Ford repaired the whole thing and it cost me $100.. Cost THEM over $1400.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My experience with the big Fords is completely different than the one fellas. I run them up to well over 200K with very little repair expense .

Currently drive a 93 Crown Vic with 189000 on it . At 60 to 70mph it will get in the high twenties and hold near 25mpg at a steady 80 on the interstate . And you can pass anything on the road , if you want .

Probably will be a good time to look for a nice big car again....with the gas scare they will be sitting around the used lots like herds of white elephants .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2003 Z71, 145,000 miles---About the most elaborate I've had to get with it is change the oil every 3,000-3,500 miles. I'll buy another.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
see, that's my biggest prob with this little tiny FWD impala. I could be driving a much bigger heavier car for the mileage I'm getting out of this thing.

If my 66 chev had the gear for it I'd pull 25 MPG with it, but it's got a 300 hp 327 in front of a 2 speed auto, that's 2 stinking gears and I can pull 20 mpg with that relic! If that thing had a modern AOD like a 700 R4 in it I'd pull 25 mpg easy, so why the hell can't I do it with this little beer can on wheels?

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still the best mileage in its class.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
on paper.

but that doesn't fly with the gas pump, I keep trying to tell the pump "Woe, woe big fella, this here's the 3800! Take it easy! She aint that thirsty!!"

but I guess the pump didn't get the memo, or he don't speak chevy, or something?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not better at the gas pump , but my buddy got one of these new , WOW shocked sweet car cool ( temp thread hijack )

http://www.daleearnhardt.net/chevy/signature/index.htm

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Yeah, the extended warranties make a lot of sense with today's rigs--but I'm also hanging on to my 90's trucks--just enough technology to run reliably and with power, but not so technical I can't work on them......

Absolutely... Just make sure it's offered and backed by the company (as in Ford/Chev etc..) and NOT an aftermarket..

With all the crap on these vehicles now, and extended service contract is worth every dime.. Just one repair can make you come out even.. Happened that way to me about 6 years ago; turbo went south on my '99 F-350 PSD.. Ford repaired the whole thing and it cost me $100.. Cost THEM over $1400.

I would say buying an extended warranty from the manufacturer is probably a good idea unless you know who is selling the warranty. I buy my extended warranty from the dealer through his insurer. Have not had a problem. In fact the last warranty from the dealer, the insurer went under and I never knew it because the dealer ate the cost. I found out when I purchased my new car and found out the dealer had a new insurer. So far know problems.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey dave, a little help for some of the probs you're having...
the accelerator sticking is usually remedied as jorge suggested, carbon builds up in the throttle air horn and needs to be cleaned or replaced. sometimes it can also be caused by a poor accelerator linkage.
wet floor from rain depends where the water is located. you said you feel it drip on you, from where?

poor road handling depends on a couple of things. tire condition(all 4) # 1 cause. be sure a mechanic checks your front end for play or worn out parts. can get dangerous. aside from that, wheel alignment should be performed once a year minimally. inspect all struts. every one of these handling suggestions i have mentioned are also directly related to fuel economy.

fuel economy depends on numerous things. most importantly is to be sure the engine is properlly tuned. i'm not talking about changing plugs & filters only. anyone can do that, not a tune up. it's the checking afterwards that is very important. be sure to change oil when due & check tire pressure & condition.

i can give more suggestions, but these are all basic according to what you have written. also, this is pretty much the same advice i give to any car owner, not just chevys.

-ken

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah, thanks ken for some good honest & thoughtful advice.

I'd really have more fun burning, smashing... or maybe if i had a huge catapult so I could throw the car like.... oh... 80 to a hundred yds would be fine, into a pile or large rock of course...oh... it could be burning in the air too, oh man that would be so awesome!!!

But, I gotta get home from work some how, so, I guess I'll just drive it ... The frustration just boils over every now & then.

modern chevy rant complete. All better.

besides, I've moved on, I'm focusing on weathermen now.

weathermen, how the hell do they sleep at night?

grin

Something clever here.

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I would also suggest a paint job. I work with a guy that could get that done for you within a couple years. eek

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that's a 3 year minimum & right now there's a 4 year waiting list.

cause he's busy working on a stupid dodge!!

grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I'm focusing on weathermen now.

weathermen, how the hell do they sleep at night?

grin
I've wondered the same thing.. They can be wrong BIG every day, still get paid well for doing it and can't be sued (IIRC) for a bum forecast..

Only in America!

The laughable 'five-day forecasts' are especially entertaining.. Frankly, anything over 12 hours is a crapshoot... Yet these same morons say something like we have about 10 years to reverse global warming... They can't get it right for 24 hours so why in he!! should we believe a morsel of their BS for GW??

Last edited by Redneck; 06/12/08.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh I'm all over it Redneck, lets start a new rant on weathermen.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
This is a sad thread. I grew up in a Chevy family. My Grandmother, Grandfather, and Mother died having never owned any other make of cars. My Aunt and Uncle still own only GM products. So did I until about 1985 when each of my GM cars (three) over a ten year period became worse and worse at time of purchase.

Since then I have only owned foreign makes. However, I do look back, and want to buy one again. The car magazines I get keep talking each year about how much better the quality is of the big Three, than the last couple of years. Then I read the long-term tests and posts like these, and lose heart. After stealing my money three times, they'll have to prove their quality efforts over time to get my business again. But, I do want to give it to them.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Do like me, gather up your childhood memories & or beyond in the way of a classic, a muscle car or an old hot rod.

I've got 2 good chevys at home, a 54 210 2dr delray & a 66 2 dr chev caprice. old fords I have a pair of 64 galaxies, one 2 dr with 390 & a 4 speed & one 4 dr with the "economy six" 223 & a 3 on the tree.

pickups, 51 F1 with a flat head v-8, 1970 4x4 F250 with a 360/4 speed, 1977 4x4 F150 351/C6

that's the sort of thing that'll cure your domestic woes. grin

with all of the above mentioned you know what you've got.

I'm not a "chevy hater" they just haven't made anything I can stomach in the last.... 38 years.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the way i see it is whatever make you have it will have problems i/we have owned about anything there is to own. my '93 ford was a problem child from the start the toyota died at about 90k the best we have is a 93 GMC with about 200k uses no oil and replaced the cluthc once my '07 Chevy has had it share and it's only got 14k at work we have an '03 chevy that is very abused 220k we had to put a trans in it at 170k but we can't complain to much. at home we have a '92 F-250 with about 230k that has taken a cluth and a belt

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm on my 2nd personal Impala and I've had a few for company cars. My first was an 01 LS 3.8 and I ran it to 115,000 with only 1 problem. Intermediate steering shaft started knocking, $100 fix. Got 30 mpg on the highway at 80mph. My current one is an 04 LS 3.8 that has 106,000 on it and gets 31mpg on the highway. It's had both front hubs replaced at about $400 each and an intermediate steering shaft.

It seems that every Gm vehicle I've owned or had as a company car since 99 has needed a lube kit or replacement of the intermediat steering shaft. I'm not impressed that after this many years they haven't fixed the problem. This includes a 99 Intrigue, a 2000 silverado, a 2001 Impala, a 2002 silverado, a 2004 Impala, a 2004 Silverado, a 2006 impala. All have had the same steering shaft problem but few other problems. Doesn't seem like a big deal after having owned an eagle vision that spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Bb

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.