Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I think the dish you describe is called Pasta Puttanesca.

Which sounds much better than "whore's pasta" when you are serving it to a girlfriend. smile

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Without anchovies there can be no bagna cauda, and that would be criminal.

As for Brussel sprouts, I used to hate them before I learned I was cooking them wrong. Steamed in white wine with lemon and butter, or with a little garlic. Please don't boil them in water.

For nasty, Casu Marzu gets my vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Anyone else watch 'Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern'?

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know how good/bad 'canned smoked clams' are, as I've never had them ... but to say they suck because you were so tanked that you ate two cans and ended up sick for 3 days (more than likely, as much to do with the alcohol as anything else) is silly ...

I mean, one of the worst sick-drunk experiences I ever had was drinking gin mixed with Sprite ... did that when I was 18, and have never since been able to go anywhere near gin. However, I realize that gin is not disgusting in general, as TONS of people love it ... just because I got sick on it, and developed a lifetime aversion to it, doesn't make it a terrible "food item" ...

that said, I do appreciate the fact that you can't get near smoked-anything at this point ... I'm sure just about all of us have some food/drink associated with a time we got sick as a dog, that has scarred us for life ... I'd also say that Tequila is likely one of those things for a LOT of people ... (grin)

-WGM-
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tod
Without anchovies there can be no bagna cauda, and that would be criminal.

As for Brussel sprouts, I used to hate them before I learned I was cooking them wrong. Steamed in white wine with lemon and butter, or with a little garlic. Please don't boil them in water.

For nasty, Casu Marzu gets my vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Anyone else watch 'Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern'?

Now that cheese with live maggots that jump 6 inches just beats the hell out of the "plastic" string cheese posted earlier!

From Wikipedia:
Derived from Pecorino Sardo, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, from the Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 mm (1/3 inch) long. When disturbed, the larvae can jump for distances up to 15 cm (6 inches)

John (who has eaten caribou rumen, but you have me beaten with the maggoty cheese! sick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Oysters on the half shell, Penny, with a little salt and pepper it's down the hatch for me.

I'll join you! Although I like them dipped in seafood cocktail sauce with a lot of horseradish and lemon! laugh

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liver and canned peas. Blechhh!!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You guys need to learn how to cook C rats.
Pork Slices - pour most of the juice off and replace it with a good dollop of apricot jam (the little gold can) heat over a fuel tablet or a few tablespoons of C4. Yummy - and anyone will give you the ingredients.
Ham and MFers (lima beans) - remove lima beans and spread them on the front of your claymores Simmer the ham in "clean" water. Serve with a good portion of beans and meatballs or an egg ration. Fire the claymore at the enemy. Many people like to have hot sauce with the bean (not limas) dish or the egg dish.
The canned bread is used with a little purloined Army isssue margarine. You open the can, slice the top of the bread once with a knife, heat (C4) with a little jam (little gold can) and serve. It is called by an obscene name because of it's anatomical appearance.
If you go a couple of months jungle fighting on short rations. The C-rats become edible. I once ate a box of heat spoiled cheese and summer sausage from Pepperidge Farms. It was a gift from the states. It reeked but it was protein! The spoiled recombined milk (non C rat) can be used by holding your nose and chug a lug. Only the big chunks stick on the way down.

106rr

Last edited by 106rr; 06/14/08.

You can't miss fast enough to win!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you like real Italian you have to get used to Anchovies and other sea food. But then Italian coastal dishes are an aquired taste not like Tuscan dishes that are made up of mainly pork Lamb and Chicken. although some of that takes some getting used to as well. The worst thing I ever ate in the Marines was the scrambled eggs in boot camp. But then the way I grew up Spam was a feast.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Boiled Cabbage!

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok ... I'll play the other side of the net ... Here's something that most definitely don't suck ...

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

-WGM-
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WGM
Ok ... I'll play the other side of the net ... Here's something that most definitely don't suck ...

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh

That's pretty much the best meal there is - the one'd I'd want if I was going to the chair!

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WORST FOOD ITEM EVER = CANNED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

Case Closed, Mr. Bin can lock this thread now.

Seriously, this stuff made me hurl too many times. Disgusting crap!

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mutton gets my vote. I dated a girl from Kentucky when I was in HS. One year at Christmas we went to a big Christmas party together. She was all a twitter about the great treat we were going to have...BBQed mutton. Her friend's house was really nice, but I immediatly formed the opinion that they weren't into good hygeine based on the smell emminating from the house. We went in, socialized for a while, and then food was served. I was given a BBQed mutton sandwich and I took a bite. It turns out the offensive smell I noticed earlier wasn't due to a hygeine problem...it was the mutton. If I had to guess at what it would taste like to lick the floor in a really run down public restroom I would guess that it would taste a lot like the mutton that night. That was over 30 years ago and I can still remember the taste and smell vividly.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mmmm. Lanolin.

rob p Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just can't get over how my fellow Italians season everything from toast to fried broccoli to rabbit with anchovies. I think they should grind them up and spray them on crowds to disperse them.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WGM,

Just one other thing, the best way to eat Circus Peanuts and those Easter Peeps marshmallow candies is to open the package and let it sit for a day or two so they're stale as can be....mmmmmmmmm grin

Seriously though, gotta couple rib-eyes in the fridge waiting for the grill tomorrow. Those along with some twice baked potatoes, steamed asparagus, fresh corn on the cob, wife's homemade rolls, and some homemade vanilla ice cream will make for a fine Father's Day feast!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My dad LOVED Circus Peanuts, probably cuzz it was the only thing the kids wouldn't eat, thus he KNEW they would still be around.

Can't like Candy Corn

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
For me it's hands down got to be ANY form of bologna. I HATED having to eat that crap when I was a little kid. But of course I was taught to always eat foods while being a guest at my friend's houses and for some reason they always had to serve us bologna sandwiches. frown

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Just one other thing, the best way to eat Circus Peanuts and those Easter Peeps marshmallow candies is to open the package and let it sit for a day or two so they're stale as can be....mmmmmmmmm grin

Yee Haaaa! I thought I was the only one, I have one package of peeps left, if you want to come over I will share and we can watch a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood movie, I have them all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Bologna sandwiches with cilantro and vegamite!!!! But lay off my smoked fish. Surprised nobody went after haggis. Fried haggis is good.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,591 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.