Hop To
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
All,

Last weekend I managed to pull the front sling swivel stud out of the factory stock using my Harris bipod. I think the solution would be to install a machine screw type stud as a replacement with the nut counter sunk into the barrel channel of the forend. Does anyone know why this would not be possible?

I imagine the stock is hollow, it certainly sounds like it is and I'm guessing that the stud screws into a boss moulded into the forend. I'm nervous that in counter sinking the nut of the replacement screw into the barrel channel that I'll end up in free air. This may not be a problem as the remaining stub section of the boss would act as a washer for the nut to sit on but I'd just like to know what I'm getting into and what to expect before I start.

I hope that makes sense to someone and would welcome any comments.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IIRC, I think you will have room to do just as you described.
I have not had mine apart in about a year, or so. The stock is hollow with ribs running both ways,(across and length ways).

If its tight, just dremel down deep enough for the nut and JB Weld the nut in place. I did that on a Savage stock and it is still OK after 10 years.

T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for your reply Terry.

I was thinking that a blob of epoxy glue of some sort may be useful as well.

I'm going to call the importer here in the UK later this morning just to see if there's any comeback. The rifle is about 18 months old but last weekend is pretty much the first time I've used it to any great degree. He's normally a very helpful bloke but I'm not sure what he'll be able to do except offer a replacement stock at best which will lead to the same thing happening again. I suspect I'll be fitting a replacement stud myself later today.

Best wishes,

Tim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (22kHornet, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.