Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Before 9/11, I routinely carried a lock blade knife on every flight (well, actually, everywhere period), but since then I've been forced to improvise. For a long while I've made sure to have a heavy chunk of brass handy (in the shape of a roughly round six ounce figurine), along with a sturdy handkerchief to place it in for an improvised mace. This is an extremely effective combination that can be formed into a devastating weapon in seconds.

Recently been thinking of other alternatives should they ever decide to snatch my brass "good luck charm" at the metal detector. It would need to be something readily available on any flight. Know what I'm thinking of? A simple glossy covered magazine. They're sitting right there in that little compartment in front of you.

Now, these may not seem, at first glance, like very effective weapons, but role one up nice and tight and it concentrates a lot of compressive strength on a very small point. Gripped correctly, and suddenly thrust forcefully into the soft areas under one's jaw line, and a great deal of sudden trauma would result, leaving the target very soft for a control technique or take down.

Anyone come up with anything else?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Cross pen and pencil set.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I now longer fly commercial, but if I did a good stout cane or walking stick would be with me. Of course I have a prescription in my wallet stating I NEED one to assist walking.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
I now longer fly commercial, but if I did a good stout cane or walking stick would be with me. Of course I have a prescription in my wallet stating I NEED one to assist walking.
Nice try, T Lee, but they would likely hold that for you, and assist you to wherever you needed to go on the plane.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of really sharp pencils might come in handy in an airplane. But then again I'm partial to sharp objects.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Sir, have done it when we had to get to IL over night last year. I hated all the bullscheit to get to the plane but they let me keep the Hickory walking stick with the solid brass knob top. It is well worn as I have used it for several years. Ain't pretty just looks used.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Before 9/11, I routinely carried a lock blade knife on every flight (well, actually, everywhere period), but since then I've been forced to improvise. For a long while I've made sure to have a heavy chunk of brass handy (in the shape of a roughly round six ounce figurine), along with a sturdy handkerchief to place it in for an improvised mace. This is an extremely effective combination that can be formed into a devastating weapon in seconds.

Recently been thinking of other alternatives should they ever decide to snatch my brass "good luck charm" at the metal detector. It would need to be something readily available on any flight. Know what I'm thinking of? A simple glossy covered magazine. They're sitting right there in that little compartment in front of you.

Now, these may not seem, at first glance, like very effective weapons, but role one up nice and tight and it concentrates a lot of compressive strength on a very small point. Gripped correctly, and suddenly thrust forcefully into the soft areas under one's jaw line, and a great deal of sudden trauma would result, leaving the target very soft for a control technique or take down.

A good enough set of balls, not to sit back and be a victim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Nice try, T Lee, but they would likely hold that for you, and assist you to wherever you needed to go on the plane.

Yah...before 9/11 I played with the idea of cutting three long triangles (an inch wide, four feet high) from 1/8" mild-steel strip stock and welding them together into a long, hollow triangular steel spike; then putting a handle on it, grinding it smooth, painting it attractively, building some kind of removable, inoffensive-looking cap for the pointy end, and calling it a walking stick.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hawk, I always have one of these in my briefcase when I fly, or my coat pocket if I'm not carrying a briefcase. you can blind 'em, cut 'em, or knock the crap out of 'em, or all three.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24531/sesent/00

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yeah. How about we demand--and government recognizes--the fundamental right to pack firearms whenever and wherever we choose within the United States?

Think of the possibilities; We wouldn't have an entire new set of laws delving into our lives--like the Patriot Act.....We wouldn't have huge government beaucracies--like Homeland Security....We wouldn't have to invade and occupy foriegn countries.....etc, etc.

Oh, forget it--if they couldn't raise taxes or deficit spend, the Demos and Repubs wouldn't exist........and we can't have THAT....... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1976 I bought a solid bronze belt buckle, about 1/4 inch thick, 2 1/4 by 3 1/2 inches. I put it on a 1/4 inch thick belt.
A very good mace. And I wear heavy boots.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
on my last over seas trip, and on the one I will take in August, I carry, as Hawkeye mentioned a sturdy magazine. In my laptop computer bag, I carry pens and scotch tape.
If you open the magazine, and tape a bic pen to the front, with about half of it sticking out above the top of the magazine, and then roll the magazine up, and tape it securely, you have a decent weapon.
My wife says I am nuts, but then what does she know? grin

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Set of 20 Keys clipped to a leather belt or tied at the end of a cellphone charger cord would make a nice mace.

Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Hawk, I always have one of these in my briefcase when I fly, or my coat pocket if I'm not carrying a briefcase. you can blind 'em, cut 'em, or knock the crap out of 'em, or all three.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The defenders are good lights, i've been through a Surefire flashlight/nightshooting training course. The instructor also showed the use of the defender as a weapon, they work. I always thought it would be useful to ID the suspect, if you jabbed someone in the forehead with the lightend and they fled. Just look for the person with the star shape in their forehead at the ER. smirk

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
A Cross pen and pencil set.

Ditto.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pocket full of quarters stuffed in your sock and a few ball point pens

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Me too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a Surefire 6P for light, Mini-Mag flashlight for a Kubotan, and a Milt Sparks belt around my waist that could work as an improvised hand or arm guard, restraint or tourniquet. I had read on the Internet that people were having trouble getting through with strike bezels, but I guess that's BS. Anyway, the Mini-Mag is most likely to be in my strong hand.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grow a long sharp thumbnail.. slide it next to the nose into the eye and poof a one eyed bad guy..lol

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys do know that in first class you get metal silverware. At least we do on Alaska Air.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 348srfun, 33 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,224
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.