24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Is there any way to estimate the hardness of a bullet alloy w/o resorting to expensive equipment or tests? [i don't have an assortment of lead bullets of known hardness to compare to, either]. How hard does a bullet alloy have to be before i can't put a dent in it w/ my fingernail? [or if i can't, is it too hard?]. i recently have mixed up some alloy w/ lead, wheel weights and linotype and it seems to have a higher melting temp then plain lead/tin alloy [my pot has a hard time keeping it at (what i would estimate to be) casting temp] and it's bullets are about 2% lighter than what the mold [w/ WW metal] is rated. Can i infer an alloy from this weight differential? I can still put a dent in the bullets w/ my fingernail but it seems to be noticably harder. The bullets weren't water-quenched out of the mold or heat heat-treated. Should i try water-quenching some and see if there is a difference? [if i understand the heat-treatment thing, i figure i'd have to wait a while before that would make a difference in hardness- what, maybe a few days?] Anybody have any ideas about this?

"problems can't be solved with the same degree of awareness that created them"

-author unknown
GB1

P
P
Slamhound,<BR>Determining alloy hardness goes pretty deep. The first thing you need to decide is the M/V you're going to be running these puppies at. higher velocity requires higher hardness level. Your choice of bullet lube is also relevant. <BR>If the lube runs out before the bullet exits the bore, you'll develop muzzle leading. There's a lot of science in bullet lubing, alone.<BR>Are you going to hunt with these bullets? If so, you want a softer bullet for expansion. <BR>If you go to Shooter's.com and read up on the cast bullet board, you'll find a wealth of information there. The guys that frequent that board are more than happy to help beginners and experimenters.<BR>Invest a few bucks in Lyman's CAST BULLET HANDBOOK. Money well spent, believe me!<BR>I'm at octagunyahoo.com. Write if I can help.<P>Pipe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 71 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,740
Posts18,495,058
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.