Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2255576 06/14/08
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tried this new taco soup recipe out yesterday. Found it on another hunting board. I did it in the crock pot and used small cubed venison instead of hamburger..Also 2 cans of extra hot rol tel and two large fresh jalepnos sliced up. It's got some zing.. Was great over tostito chips. Sure tasted good ..

Arrow Pilot's Famous TACO SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
2 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
1 FRESH WHITE ONION
1 CAN DICED ROTEL
2 CANS DICED TOMATOS
1 CAN WHOLE KERNEL CORN (Drained)
2 CANS PINTO BEANS
1 CAN RANCH STYLE BEANS WITH JALAPENOS
1 PKG TACO SEASONING
1 PKG RANCH DRESSING MIX
1 "CLUMP" FRESH CILANTRO (OPTIONAL)
DIRECTIONS:
Chop the onion.
If you'll be using cilantro, chop it very finely.
Brown the ground beef with the diced onion in a large soup pot.
Stir in the taco seasoning and the ranch dressing mix until the meat is evenly coated.
Pour in all the canned items, continuing to stir and heat.
If you're using cilantro, put that in last after all the canned items.
Heat the soup until hot. If you have the time, simmering makes it better.
Variations and Serving Suggestions:

For those who like it spicier, you can “turn up the heat" by substituting more Diced Rotel for one or both cans of the Diced Tomatos, substituting more Ranch Style Beans with Jalapenos for one or both cans of the Pinto Beans, and/or substituting HOT Taco Seasoning for the regular kind.

I like a thick soup and so I drain the water off the corn and leave the lid off the pot to let some of the water evaporate during heating. If you like a thinner soup, you don't have to drain the corn and you can keep the lid on the pot. For my tastes, the leaner the ground beef, the better. If you use ground beef that is not lean, you’ll probably want to drain off the grease after you brown it and before you add the other ingredients. For a wild game version, you can use ground venison or ground wild pork instead of the lean ground beef.

The soup is good poured over Fritos corn chips or crumbled tortilla chips. Try sprinkling grated cheese over the top and letting it melt in with the soup.

This makes, I'd say, about eight good servings. The original recipe didn't include cilantro, but I found that it really adds flavor and highly recommend it! The soup is actually quite a bit better when reheated the second day. So make a big pot and enjoy the leftovers!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like something I'd like. You ever try it with chicken?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just found the recipe this week on a Texas Archery hunting board. Printed it off and made it with the stuff I had onhand. I had most of the stuff. Didn't have any dried ranch dressing mix so I put in 8 oz of ranch salad dressing instead. I am sure it would be good with chicken or ground turkey meat. I make a white meat chicken chili sometimes. I am having it left over for dinner tonight and froze three 16 oz plastic margarine containers full of it too for a quick meal at a later date.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I make a white meat chicken chili sometimes.

Don't they kick you out of Texas for doing things like that? wink

Seriously, sounds like a good crockpot recipe, but I may leave out some of the hot stuff the first time I make it!

John

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sounds good. Gotta give it a try.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That sounds sounds great! I'm trying your receipe this week!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
First time I had this was at my son's house and I took the recipe home with me, knowing it would be a hit at the ranch. Well, first time I made it, we were sitting around enjoying it and Red said to Jim "tell Allen he ain't going home unless he gives us the recipe."
Well, that wasn't hard to do, and just about every time I go to camp I take a batch with me.

I've made it with chicken, venison, feral hog, hamburger, venison ring sausage, and maybe a few other meats as well--all are good.

Only difference in the recipe posted and mine, is that I add chopped fresh jalapeno peppers for kick.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bet a handfull of sliced black olives would be good in there too.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a thick soup and so I drain the water off the corn and leave the lid off the pot to let some of the water evaporate during heating.

In looking at the recipe again, the only liquid comes from the canned tomatoes, and beans. That's going to be more like a stew isn't it?

I'm thinking I might try that with chicken. Boil up a chicken, shred it, and use some of the stock for the soup. Get some corn tortillas, slice and fry up in strips along with sliced avocado for garnish.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm starting to see a couple of versions to try!!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 12savage, 53 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,296
Posts18,505,329
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.