Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I was thinking about building a NULA/CLR hybrid.

Does anyone have anyexpeirence with one of these rifles?

How is the action?

Does Mel guarantee that they shoot?

Thinking about a 7x57 maybe.

Thanks for the help.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Been a number of guys here had Melvin to his upgrade on the CLR and are satisfied. Doing a search might help ya.

til later

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Most if not all of what you spend on a real NULA can be recovered if you sell it later.

Don't know what part of a CLR upgrade can be recovered. Might be better in the long run to buy a NULA. Take care of it and after a few years it will be worth what you paid for it.

I don't think Colt ever spent the effort to get the perfect balance,action and chamber that you get when you buy an ULA or a NULA gun.

You can buy the NULA stock for $500 and have it bedded. Then spend another $200-250 for a new trigger and action work buy NULA but you still will have a CLR.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll disagree. I have owned both and they are very close and I'll bet the weights of action are same. Both of my CLR's in NULA stocks shot at least as well as the 270 NULA and only weighed 4oz more. You don't need to do squat to a CLR but pay $400 for a stock from Mel and tune the factory trigger oh and shoot it.

I like Mel and his product but to ditch a CLR upgraded with his stock without trying it, is well..................

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember that Colt bought the manufacturing rights for the CLR from Mel Forbes and he was there to manage the transition process. If you are thinking about doing a CLR/NULA hybrid, you really should call Mel and talk to him about what you have in mind. You're likely to get a much better feel for whether doing a CLR/NULA hybrid is a good idea for you by talking to Mel then you are by asking a bunch of folks whose cumulative knowledge on the subject is likely to be a small fraction of Mel's BTDT knowledge base.

I don't know what NULAs are retailing for in 07/08, but I do know that you can buy NIB CLRs for under $600 and I know that Mel will build you a rifle using the CLR action, a NULA stock, barrel, and trigger for around $1K. If you don't want to change the barrel, the cost for Mel's work would probably be around $600.

Based on my telephone conversations with Mel, I came away with the understanding that he thinks that the CLR barrels and actions are excellent, but that the triggers and stocks are not up to his high standards.

Since I seldom sell firearms, I seldom think in terms of their downstream value, unless I am buying a collectable or "connected" firearm.

Jeff

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dave, you are going to cost me some money. I have never tried the CLR but now you have me thinking about one! If it is a good as my ULA, I will have to try it. laugh

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My CLR in .270 is the best shooting factory rifle I've ever purchased. I stocked it in Walnut for some practice but it's still plenty light. If I didn't have so many other projects I'd snap up a couple more of them. I'd like one in 300wm.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'dlike to have one in 338-06...the CLR hybrid. powdr

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
What Daveh said and I went one step further and I have added added a Rem 700 triggers which are a drop in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting to get my CLR .30-06 out of lay away. Thinking its going to become and 06 AI, with a NULA stock coming eventually.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said, I owned a true NULA in 270 and two CLR's. One was a 300WM and the other another 270. All shot under an inch. The factory trigger on the CLR gets bad press but all that's needed is to have the sear engagement decreased by ~50% and they function great. I only owned one true NULA but the safety mechanism was mushy. The CLR's worked better IMHO.

If you want a 7lb all up rifle that will balance properly for less than $850 or so you can't beat a CLR with Mel's upgraded stock.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not sure what you mean by �I only owned one true NULA but the safety mechanism was mushy.� So I got my NULA out and checked it. It moves from on safe to off without a click or snap. To me that is a good thing. I don�t want any noise with I take it off safety. I make enough noise as it is when I still hunt! grin It also moves back on safe without a click or snap. The resistance is the same in both directions. Is that what you mean as �muchy�?

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.