Print Thread
Hop To
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have a stock that has a high roll-over and the wood is excellent. I have been eye-balling it to see if I could shape it to a straight stock and keep the check piece. Any input with any tips would be appreciated

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Without photos, we would just be guessing.

There is a great book on stock making by Westbrook. It shows the direction of the taper lines. Studying those photos would give you a sense of what you would be dealing with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've looked at one of my roll-over stocks with an intention of doing just what you are thinking of doing. I can't see how I'd end up with a straight stock without dropping down alot. Looks like it'll end up with a raised comb like the mid fifties M70 had. But it will allow me a chance to thin down the cheek piece and eliminate that hideous roll over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might consider a virtual change, to see how it may work out.

If the rifle in question's a boltgun, remove the bolt and insert a 24" long (or so) dowel into the rear of the action, extending rearward over the buttstock past the buttplate.
If the rifle's receiver has a closed rear, tape a longer dowel atop the receiver, extending rearward, as above.
Installing the dowel inline with the center of the bore is best.

Either way, measure/record the drop (in inches) from the dowel to the comb nose, comb heel, and butt heel on the rifle with the roll-over cheekpiece stock; and compare those measurements to three from another rifle that you like & that fits you, to see exactly what needs to be done.

The dowel will also show you if the rollover stock has excessive cast-off, when viewed from above the rifle - something common among that style of stock.

Last edited by Rangr44; 04/26/08.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rangr44
That is a good idea, using the dowel to measure the stock. I think you have one minor thing backward however. I believe the cast is on, not off.

cast-off when viewed from above will have the action turning to the left a few degrees. IME the roll-overs will have excessive cast-on. Cast-on in recoil will deliver a bit of energy to the shooter's cheek.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have removed the high comb on several rifles most commonly late 60's and 70's Mausers.

Two minor issues that crop up are the off side of the stock tends not to have a groove in it nor is there sufficient material at the front of the comb to cut one in. Also, I tend to have to rotate the recoil pad to a more vertical position.

It is pretty much a necessity that I remove the combs as I have rather a wide face and like a low mounted scope and iron sights.

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
just reviewing this post again as I am about to start carving away on this stock. Any suggestions as to what tools would be good to accumulate in order to facilitate this project. Thanks much.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A rasp like a nicholson #50 and a wood file. A horse shoe rasp removes wood real fast too but don't use it to close to the final form.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka Deer, you might want to check out the diagrams of cast-on & cast-off, in this article:

http://www.billhanusbirdguns.com/archive08.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rangr
He is only one in a long line that have it backwards. I can point you to many references such as O'Connor in the Rifle Book and many others. I did not read to see if it is a typo or if he is truly clueless... But I can assure you this is something I have done for a long time and talked face-to-face to too many gurus about...

I have no idea who Bill Hanus is... He mentions Zutz and I am certain he knows the difference.

Please, feel free to research this as far as you like. I stand by my statement, absolutely.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Art, I'm afraid you're going to have to stand absolutely alone, in your view.

I'll stick with Bill Hanus (who has both made and now imports specialty shotguns, since you don't know who he is), the late Don Zutz, the Beretta Gun Co, noted author Michael Macintosh & myriad others who know of what they speak - since it can be very confusing, I'll allow.

To wit: When viewed from the rear of the butt, if the buttstock is to the right of the barrel(s) centerline, the stock is said to be "cast off".

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1 Art. Thanks...Bill.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"When viewed from the rear of the butt, if the buttstock is to the right of the barrel(s) centerline, the stock is said to be "cast off".

That's how I've always interpretted it with the assumption the stock is for a right handed shooter, the reverse being the case for a lefty. This is the first I've heard the other interpretation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.