Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Her's one for your what-if'er's. What if there had been a baby in that sack?

What the heck would a thief want with a baby?

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

The first thing they teach ya in Texas is: "Don't shoot 'em in the sack"....

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
JGRaider, let's just go kill everybody because everybody's committed a crime and broken the law. We can bury them all out in the Arizona desert, right?

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyways, from the small world department, we just had another justifiable shooting right here in San Antone, this one all legit and by the book...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA.070208.1B.guns.3c7c070.html

Just hours before a San Antonio homeowner shot and critically wounded a 21-year-old man who police said walked into his home, a Harris County grand jury cleared a Pasadena grandfather in the shooting deaths of two men suspected in a burglary of his neighbor's house last fall...

...Monday's incident in San Antonio appears to be a textbook example of how residents are protected under Texas law.

According to a police report, the intruder smelled of intoxicants when police tried to question him after the shooting. Stevens told police he was away from home when his wife called to say a man was attempting to enter his home shortly before 9:20 p.m.

The wife said the man had repeatedly knocked on their door, but she told him to leave. She then heard noises at her garage door.

.Stevens rushed home and retrieved a gun. He called police to report the incident. While waiting for them, he heard a loud noise. Shortly afterward, the man walked into his home. When Stevens told him to get out, the intruder said nothing but continued walking forward before Stevens shot him.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might work, that's a pretty big dessert.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deerfearme
JGRaider, let's just go kill everybody because everybody's committed a crime and broken the law. We can bury them all out in the Arizona desert, right?

Come onto private property in Texas, breaking the law, get your ever-lovin a$$$ shot off. That's the way it is, that's the way it ought to be. Your handle, deerfearme, obviously isn't criminalsfearme.....

Last edited by JGRaider; 07/02/08.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What the heck would a thief want with a baby?

Uh, because of the cruel Bush administration budget cuts, criminals no longer have affordable day care and must cart their own rug rats along on capers? Or maybe they stole the baby and tossed it in the bag with the silver and the jewelry?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Come onto private property in Texas, breaking the law, get your ever-lovin a$$$ shot off. That's the way it is, that's the way it ought to be. Your handle, deerfearme, obviously isn't criminalsfearme.....

Yeah yeah that's great. Like I said, dig a big hole in the Arizona desert and put everybody who has a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or worse, in there, and just bury them alive. Ok? We can just start having cops kill everybody the moment they're arrested. Be your dream come true!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A piss poor analagy, comparing a speeding ticket to a trespassing robber. If it's alright with you I'll have someone besides you protect my home.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
A piss poor analagy, comparing a speeding ticket to a trespassing robber. If it's alright with you I'll have someone besides you protect my home.

That's how libs work. If the facts don't work, change 'em as needed.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just don't think that taking a life is warranted unless your own or somebody else's is immediately threatened by somebody. If thats the case, I have no qualms with taking them out. But going outside and blasting holes in a couple of burglars doesn't feel like a justified shooting to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glad you weren't on that jury then pard'. Have a good day.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I just don't think that taking a life is warranted unless your own or somebody else's is immediately threatened by somebody.
It doesn't to a Muslim either........well, maybe a Texas Muslim. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I dunno that I'd kill someone ever property either, in fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't.

If nothing else because of the ruinous legal, social and financial aftermath that may follow.

I dunno that its gonna be that cut and dried though. In San Antonio we had a guy shoot and kill a kid from his apartment balcony when the kid was in the act of breaking into his truck, the guy wasn't charged but that's not something I'd do.

In Joe Horn's case all accounts agree that one of the dead perps advanced towards him, in that case given the circumstances, Mr Horm arguably was in imminent peril. I suspect that fact is what saved him before the Grand Jury.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah yeah that's great. Like I said, dig a big hole in the Arizona desert and put everybody who has a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or worse, in there, and just bury them alive. Ok? We can just start having cops kill everybody the moment they're arrested. Be your dream come true!
You don't seem to understand. A burglar is someone who very seriously violates a very fundamental tenet of the social contract. It's not comparable to a speeding ticket. It's up there with rape. They can take everything of value in your home. They've violated your personal sovereignty in a profound way. They present a real threat to the lives and well-being of everyone. It's very serious business, and they ought to know in advance that if they engage in it, just like rape, folks will take it DEADLY serious.

You remind me of the attitude that's become so pervasive in England, where nothing's more important than the rights of the criminal, and they put folks in jail for defending themselves against them with guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
I wouldn't either. But this was a scared old fella and those were some REALLY bad guys, not the guys you pick up at Home Depot.

Those were some bad guys, but Horn is the kind of idiot that shoots his neighbor's son-in-law or nephew while the kid jimmys a window to get into the house.

He should not be glorified and he really shouldn't even be celebrated on this board. These kinds of incidents harm the image of gun owners more than it helps us.

Kinda on of my arguments all along. Horn got lucky as his emotions were run away, but the situation was as he percieved. Could have been a real tragedy.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just don't think that taking a life is warranted unless your own or somebody else's is immediately threatened by somebody. If thats the case, I have no qualms with taking them out. But going outside and blasting holes in a couple of burglars doesn't feel like a justified shooting to me.

Legally, it is. Morally, you got some room for argument.

I'd take issue with your earlier post about firing a warning shot when someone was in my home. The locked door was warning enough, and if I'm inside, the I assume you mean me and/or mine harm. Clearly it's different than Horn's case though. Hard to claim "self defense" when you injected yourself in to the situation, and shot 2 men in the back. But back to the law...he was justified under TX law.

War Damn Eagle!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It surely could have been a tragedy. If it had been, he would be going to trial with no supporters. As it stands, it's a win/win & all that the Monday morning quarterbacking does is turn the facts into "what ifs", "could haves" and twisted logic.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Legally, it is. Morally, you got some room for argument.

I'd take issue with your earlier post about firing a warning shot when someone was in my home. The locked door was warning enough, and if I'm inside, the I assume you mean me and/or mine harm. Clearly it's different than Horn's case though. Hard to claim "self defense" when you injected yourself in to the situation, and shot 2 men in the back. But back to the law...he was justified under TX law.
Fair enough, but what if it hadn't been in the back? What if the situation were identical, except that he clearly shot them when they tried to rush him? Would you still consider it a bad self-defense claim merely because he went outside, and didn't cower inside his house while his neighbor was being victimized by felons?

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,927
Posts18,498,596
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.