Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Just saw it the other day, for like the tenth time. One of Eastwood's best westerns.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by deerfearme
Originally Posted by Hubert
I have said this before and here it is again for those knotheads that diden't understand the first time.

Pit bulls are bred to fight and kill it is in their genes and all the training in the world will not take that away from them.
anyone that thinks differently is just plain stupid.

IT IS WHAT THEY ARE BRED FOR GET IT?

Can I rephrase your quote?

Guns are made to kill, and nothing in the world will take that away from them. Anybody that thinks differently is just plain stupid.

IT IS WHAT THEY ARE MADE FOR GET IT?

That sounds a lot like an anti-gun type argument that isn't based on logic, reason, or facts. Perhaps you could find some information on this to give yourself a leg to stand on.

I would be really interested to see the raw numbers of people injured or killed by pit bulls vs. other breeds. I really believe that this is something that is exagerrated by the media.

It would also be interesting to read that a gun acted on its own, and killed someone.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
It would also be interesting to read that a gun acted on its own, and killed someone.
No, but gun owners sure can and, as we all know, gun control is really people control, just like banning breeds of dog is people control. The reason leftists outlaw guns is because they don't trust people to behave responsibly with firearms. They might just, one day, go nuts and kill people. That's what they use as their justification for outlawing certain breeds, too, regardless of the fact that any particular dog might be as sweet and gentle as you'd ever want to know, and the owner perfectly responsible in care and maintenance. And regardless of the fact that the vast majority of any particular breed never cause any problems, and have no tendency to do so. It's all part of the liberal way of thinking.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Wait a minute....."blunt trauma." So the two dogs beat her to death while the cocker watched? Something ain't right. I smell a frame-up.

I smell something too. Something very suspicious about this. Blunt trauma and no mention of bites? Lat time I heard, dogs bite. They don't beat people to death with clubs.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
No, ...blah, blah, blah...

Yes.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That is just a plain stupid statement YOU sound like a anti gun nut when you compare a living creature to a piece of metal .

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like seeing the docile pits.
Makes an easier shot!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Miketwo
I like seeing the docile pits.
Makes an easier shot!
I guess you feel you've lived long enough, then?

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am not comparing pit bulls to guns, but I am comparing the arguments against pit bulls to those used against guns. They are very similar, and lack any basis in logic. I was lumping the arguments together and basically taking them out with the trash.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Thanks Hawkeye. Very interesting information. That answers which breeds tend to bite the most and the most severely. Do you have any sources on the raw unranked numbers (as in 44 people were hospitalized with bad bites from domestic short haired cats)?

TRH has a dog in this fight so to speak. Stats overwhelming show a problem with pit bull attacks, but then TRH digs out one survey out of hundreds (in true Al Gore fashion) and points to it as proof.

Here you go, have a gander at this PDF stat sheet.

Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada 1982-2006

Then we take another tact, we will blame the owners. Since it can't be the dogs, it has to be irresponsible ownership. Funny thing though, in the same breath he chastises some for stereotyping pit bulls as having the potential to snap & attack, he has no problem stereotyping owners of the dogs (who attack or kill) as being the root cause of the dog's behavior, knowing nothing about them.

This topic is so old, I usually ignore it now days, but I have to say I was a bit surprised that TRH has taken the offensive with this post as opposed to defending the dogs he has an affection for.

In the face of heavy statistical surveys I'm just not buying that pits are no different. I have always sided with the notion that if one still wishes to own a pit, special care above and beyond should be practiced, but I don't condone outlawing the breed. Still, that being said, I can't get over those who make the argument that there is not additional risk involved..

Ok, I see that pit bulls and rottweilers, according to this information, are the most likely to be responsible for killings and maulings, all else aside.

However, I see that over that period, pit bulls accounted for 1110 killins and maulings. This being over a 24 year period, that means that pit bulls, in all of the United States and Canada, were responsible for one killing or mauling every 8 days (or thereabouts. That means in an average year, pit bulls maul or kill 46 people in those two respective countries combined. I don't think that's a really convincing argument for banning them.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Ok, I see that pit bulls and rottweilers, according to this information, are the most likely to be responsible for killings and maulings, all else aside.

However, I see that over that period, pit bulls accounted for 1110 killins and maulings. This being over a 24 year period, that means that pit bulls, in all of the United States and Canada, were responsible for one killing or mauling every 8 days (or thereabouts. That means in an average year, pit bulls maul or kill 46 people in those two respective countries combined. I don't think that's a really convincing argument for banning them.
Especially when you factor in the fact that the Pitbull is the number one most abused and neglected of any pure breed of dog. No other breed comes even close. They are also, by far, the most likely to be abandoned on the street by its owner (which also has to do with the kind of person who tends to acquire them). Take a look at any big city pound. Upwards of 30% or more of all the dogs in there are typically Pitbulls. Were anything like the case true of, say, the Boxer, their serious bite and killing rates would be indistinguishable.

The number one factor in predicting whether a member of a breed of dog is likely to bite is who tends to own that breed. With the Pitbull, only a minority of them are actually raised in what most would consider a normal house pet environment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I READ, so I don't know it firsthand, that the British have banned them (Pitbulls). But they don't have guns in the hands of citizens like we do, so they can't shoot them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 10 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.