Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders
My family is going to join the AFA boycott.

+ 1

And McDonald's can boycott me in return if they want. I rarely join such boycotts but this one is a clear cut corporate push for the homosexual agenda, not merely business as usual in a plural society.

With a boodle of grandkids who love to have birthday parties at McD's, we will cost them business. Their choice, and they made it. I'll do the same, and let them know why.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Tod
It's funny when you think about it. Boycott McDonalds because they aren't, from a conservative standpoint, politically correct.

More and more the right seems to be adopting the tools of the left.

If you don't like it, don't spend you money there. But trying to organize a boycott? Leave that to the lefties.
How is a boycott a leftist thing? I don't get it. Isn't boycotting just using one's power in the market place to support, or withhold support from, whomever you wish? Sounds like the free market to me. The lefist approach would be to lobby Congress to pass a law preventing fast food franchises from financially supporting whomever they'd like to support.

It's forcing your moral values on someone else. Since I'm not a stockholder, AFAIC it's none of my business what they do. You of course are free to organize a boycott. It is absolutely your right in the market.

But it does boil down to the idea of 'political correctness', in this case, political correctness of the right, rather than the left.

Frankly, I have too much respect for my body to eat there more than once in a couple of years or so.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The argument that a boycott is a leftist thing, is, in my opinion, primarily the same as the "lets not stoop to the level of the left when they dig up personal dirt on champions on the right, by enlightening the populous of their dirty laundry also" rational. Sort of like being in a bar room fight and being the only one fighting fair, it may make you feel ethically superior, but it's a great recipe for disaster and defeat.

Jim Berry

Last edited by freestate101; 07/06/08.

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tod
It's forcing your moral values on someone else. Since I'm not a stockholder, AFAIC it's none of my business what they do. You of course are free to organize a boycott. It is absolutely your right in the market.

But it does boil down to the idea of 'political correctness', in this case, political correctness of the right, rather than the left.
Nonsense. If a Nazi came to town and opened up a donut shop with a Nazi flag hanging behind his register, I'd be the first to oppose a law preventing him from doing so, but I'd be damned if I'd ever buy a donut in there, and I'd make darn sure my neighbors knew that the guy was in fact a Nazi, and not just a WWII buff, so they could make an informed decision on whether or not they wished to support him with their business. The principle here is identical. Nothing leftist about informed decisions in a free market. .
Frankly, I have too much respect for my body to eat there more than once in a couple of years or so.
Same here. Other than an occasional coffee and/or breakfast while traveling long distances, I very rarely eat there myself. And I won't even do that anymore, unless they change their policy supporting the gay agenda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still boycotting Bordens, might as well add McDonalds to the list for cause.

Better reason to boycott McDonalds is to live longer. That chit plugs yer pipes :-)

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tod

If I decide not to buy something that is "forcing" my morals on the seller????

That logic leads to the next round of laws beyond hate speech, where we would have to prove that our MOTIVATION for NOT buying something is NOT due to moral, sexual, racial or other discrimation toward the seller. How ludicrous can we get?

No, not buying McD is merely enforcing my morals on me. The seller can continue to do whatever he wants. If enough customers don't care for his business practices, for whatever reason, he will either change them or go out of business. If he is committed to that way of business enough to refuse to change even if it costs him money or the entire business, I admire him for taking a stand, but I don't have to buy if I don't agree with his stand.

This is basic basic human and market interaction, not rocket science. You gotta please enough customers to stay in business, and I'm a customer. Most of us avoid a few stores we don't like for various reasons. If we talk about it or post our opinion of the seller here, such as a bad service experience, or an anti-gun attitude, does that make it a "boycott" forcing our will on the seller? Actually, yes, and only slightly less formal. It is what customers and markets do, unless a government interferes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll side with TRH on this one.

I'm not a very frequent McD's customer, those few visits being at a kid's heartfelt request or due to a shear lack of time while on the road.

Those that say they'd never eat there have probably never been hungry - as in "real" hunger. Yes, you would.

I'll lump McD's in the same category I did the United Way many years ago when they pulled funding from the San Francisco Bay Area Boy Scout Council because they refused to accept openly gay scout leaders. The United Way will never see another penny of mine.
If McD's choses to endorse and fund the glorification and sensationalism of homosexuality then they don't get any of my piddly few pennies, either.
Unless I'm really hungry and in a real big hurry.....

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My point is simply that they have a right to support or not support anybody they choose. It's their money.

So do we. Until and unless we give it to them, it's OUR money.

I merely ask if we also consider it righteous and proper if a company were to withhold its money from us because of something we support. How do we feel if they "boycott" us? If it's fine for them to do so, why the big clamor here about ebay? If it's not fine for them, but is fine for us, why the difference?

Rocky, In God's eyes what McDonalds is supporting is an abomination. That's reason enough for me to make different choices at meal time.
g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
uh oh here comes the religious arguments, it's all down hill from here.

Bleeaaaaaa!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"uh oh here comes the religious arguments, it's all down hill from here."

LOL!

Even outside of Christian belief it's more personal for me. I don't appreciate this "all up in your face" homosexuality that has become so prevelant.

BACK IN THE CLOSET!!!!! Wht-tsh, wht-tsh. (sound of cracking a whip)

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I boycotted bad food a long time ago so I guess I'll miss it this time.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have no problem boycotting Mcdonald's.....it's my 9 year old I gotta' convince cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am not gay so I don't worry about it, If you think about it them giving money to these organizations doesn't affect anyone that isn't gay. People aren't going to become gay just because MCD gave some stupid org $20,000.

I eat at restraunts that have good food and MCD is not one of them. In my town Hardees is right across the street and has much much better food.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boycott McD's? I'll have to think on it some, as I'm still hoping hard for one of their pimply-faced employees to serve me one of these bad boys. Mmm, fresh McNoggin: I'm LOVIN' it! smile

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Setting aside the political question being debated, I'm curious about something. For you gourmets who hate McDonald's food, where do you eat when you're on a typical road trip? I ask because when we travel it's typically through various small towns where the only places to grab a quick bite are McDonald's or one of its competitors, or a convenience store. Or when I travel with my shooting buds to matches, we are usually in small towns where about the only place open for a quick and early breakfast will be Mickey D's. One appeal of franchise places like McDonald's is that they are fairly predicatable, so you have a pretty good idea what you're going to get wherever you may be.

McDonald's is what it is, and it's certainly been successful and a pioneer in its niche. Like Hubert said, they've sold burgers by the billions, so I doubt they're worried about the few people who won't patronize them.

Now if I'd had some foresight when you could buy a McD's franchise for $25,000..., but that's been the story of my life.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
Now if I'd had some foresight when you could buy a McD's franchise for $25,000..., but that's been the story of my life.
I literally remember my bus driver, when he was driving me to nursery school in 1965, pointing to a McDonalds that was just being erected in my town (the first) and telling me and the other kids to remember this day and what he's telling us, because one day we'll be seeing those going up all over the country. For some reason that memory stuck in my head.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't care what McD's policy is Re: gays as long as they do not flaunt it inside or outside in the parking lot. We may not like the gay lifestyle, but its been around for forever and that is not going to change. Just the way it is.

What do you think the NRA would do if a potential new member said "I'm gay, can I join?" Bet he would be filling out the application right there. You going to boycott the NRA?

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan

If I decide not to buy something that is "forcing" my morals on the seller????

That logic leads to the next round of laws beyond hate speech, where we would have to prove that our MOTIVATION for NOT buying something is NOT due to moral, sexual, racial or other discrimation toward the seller. How ludicrous can we get?

No, not buying McD is merely enforcing my morals on me. The seller can continue to do whatever he wants. If enough customers don't care for his business practices, for whatever reason, he will either change them or go out of business. If he is committed to that way of business enough to refuse to change even if it costs him money or the entire business, I admire him for taking a stand, but I don't have to buy if I don't agree with his stand.

This is basic basic human and market interaction, not rocket science. You gotta please enough customers to stay in business, and I'm a customer. Most of us avoid a few stores we don't like for various reasons. If we talk about it or post our opinion of the seller here, such as a bad service experience, or an anti-gun attitude, does that make it a "boycott" forcing our will on the seller? Actually, yes, and only slightly less formal. It is what customers and markets do, unless a government interferes.

+1

If its my ball and my field, I can make my own rules. If my rules piss everybody off and nobody wants to play with me, I can either play by myself, or I can change my rules.

The same for the ebay situation. They don't want guns on their site. That pissed a lot of people off, but not enough that it hurt ebays business. They didn't have to change their rules, while us gun nuts didn't have to play on their site.

Its perfectly legal and acceptable to let your voice be heard, as well as to spend your money at business' you agree with.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The_Real_Hawkeye]
battue battue
Campfire Regular

Loc: pa

I don't care what McD's policy is Re: gays as long as they do not flaunt it inside or outside in the parking lot. We may not like the gay lifestyle, but its been around for forever and that is not going to change. Just the way it is.

What do you think the NRA would do if a potential new member said "I'm gay, can I join?" Bet he would be filling out the application right there. You going to boycott the NRA?

Battue

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

If the NRA created a Corporate position for a "Diversity Chairman", contributed $20K to the LGBT Chamber of Commerce for a seat on their board, and then refused to consider the requests of a significant number of their members.

Would I support a boycott of the NRA?

You bet I would! This isn't just about supporting the Gay agenda, this is another slippery slope that will result in legislation similar to that being considered in the Congress, that if passed, will prohibit any business or agency from prohibiting trans-genders or cross-dressers from using the ladies restrooms at workplaces and schools. I don't have any kids in school, but I would pull them out if and when this Bill becomes law.

We have a thread here today on the two English school boys who were punished for refusing to bow down and worship Allah. If you think that in the near future, some nit-wit teacher won't attempt to have our children dress as the opposite sex, kiss members of the same sex, and simulate Gay sex, you are naive.

Jim Berry

Last edited by freestate101; 07/07/08.

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by battue

Battue
I think you must have missed the point of this thread. It's not a matter of wanting McDonald's to quit hiring or serving gays. They are actively promoting the gay legal/social agenda, which goes well beyond live and let live. They are actively pursuing 1) the destruction of the institution of marriage, 2) gay adoption, 3) instruction of children at public schools that being gay is no different from any other "life-style choice," etc. I don't think I want to participate in that agenda with my monetary support, and probably lots of others, once informed, would feel the same way.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.