Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have a barrelled action in 6.5x284 that I have not shot yet, has anyone used this system and if so, what are your thoughts?

Any opinions on the system are encouraged.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A few years ago I put together a .270 Win. on a Columbian Mauser action using one of the much-maligned Adams & Bennett (reputed to be E.R. Shaw seconds)barrels. I found that this rifle would shoot groups of about 1 MOA or a bit under, but only after it had at least a dozen fouling shots down the bore following a thorough cleaning. Also, it showed a lot of jacket-metal fouling near the muzzle (the only part of the bore I could really inspect without a borescope).

I gave it the Tubbs treatment with the pre-coated abrasive, using a reduced load that should have given about 1200 fps (didn't chronograph it), and the results were as follows:
The grouping was no better than the best of the pre-treatment groups, but was now much more consistent and didn't require any fouling shots to perform well.
The metal fouling appeared to be unchanged from before, as far as I could tell, being able to eyeball only near the muzzle.

My theory of what happened is this: Originally there were some rough spots near the origin of the rifling which were gouging metal from bullet jackets as they passed. After some rounds went down the tube, jacket metal accumulation smoothed out the roughness enough to allow better grouping. The Tubb treatment knocked down those rough spots, and the good grouping then became usual. I don't believe that the honing effect lests long enough to smooth out any roughness near the muzzle, however, though that seems to be not much of a problem.

In your situation, I think I would wait until I had seen what the combination would do before using the Tubb treatment. Only if there were fouling related problems such as mentioned above would I go that route.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My personal opinion, it's OK to use as a last ditch effort to save a barrel from becoming a tomato stake / tent peg

I'd rather pee down my barrels and let them rust that blast a rock covered bullet down them, and would probably do less harm to the bore.

Ever notice that the manfacture of Tubbs barrels says about using abrasives in one of their barrels?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Custom barrel manufacturers don't recommend abrasives because custom barrels are lapped before you buy them. A barrel from on a factory gun or an after-market that is only deep-hole drilled and rifled may benefit from some form of fire lapping whether abrasive bullets or filler compound. I have used Tubb bullets on factory barrels I intended to pull anyway just to see how well they work. My success was similar to bob_a's. I don't shoot them down my good barrels because it is not necessary but they can make a rough barrel a bit better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 40 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,334
Posts18,505,991
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.