Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Seriously, does using a decocker on a auto pistol relieve all of the chance of a accidental discharge or is the main spring still loaded?

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

My de-cocking handguns "seem" to do just that. Some leave the hammer on a safety notch so it is not resting on the firing pin.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Seriously, does using a decocker on a auto pistol relieve all of the chance of a accidental discharge or is the main spring still loaded?
Generally speaking, on a conventional double action auto, the decocker merely decocks, and does not apply a safety. So, after decocking, you may firing it in the double action mode. It's just as save to carry a decocked (true) double action auto as it is to carry a double action revolver uncocked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas - While it depends on the firearm in question, for the most part, I think most anyone would tell you a decocker is the safest way to lower a hammer. Some do remove all chances of an unintentional discharge and some don't; again, it all depends on the design of the gun. I think it's safe to say that most pistols made in the last 20 years have very safe decocking systems.

I grew up in an era of lowering a hammer by hand, and I have mastered that skill. I can remember having a hammer slip from my thumb when I was about 8 years old. My grandfather would set me in front of the TV with my Winchester 1890 and practice cocking, lowering and then setting the hammer to half cock. I did that for the better part of a year with the 1890, a Winchester 1894, a Stevens 1929 single shot shotgun and finally, the Remington 1889 double gun, which has the stiffest rebounding hammers you've ever pulled.

Anyhow, I remember the evening I let that hammer slip because I was paying more attention to the TV than I was to the gun. SNAP - I immediately looked up to see my grandfather glaring at me, and noticed his eyes divert to the muzzle of my rifle, which was, yeah you guessed it, pointing right at him. Man, talk about busted! I received a first class tongue lashing for that.

I honestly can't remember another hammer slipping from my thumb since then. It could have happened, but I really can't remember it.

With that said; if a gun has a decocker, I use it.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all the input guys.

Any of you ever use a external safety on a Glock? I've seen one the my Brownells catatlog but know nothing of it.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
depends on the type of firearm, which one were you specifically thinking about?

Bleeaaaaaa!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 10 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.