Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll throw in a little praise for the Tundra's. I got mine about 2 months ago. 5.7L, 4x4, double cab. First time I checked the mileage it was exactly 20 mpg while driving 75 and crossing 2 mountains. Pulling a 23 foot camper I'm getting around 12.5.

When I bought mine, the dealership really came down on the price. I mean a lot. Right now is a pretty good time to buy. All the dealers, regardless of make/model, seem to be having trouble moving trucks.

JCM

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark I almost suggested the Titan but have heard they have had problems, you might want to do a little research on that.

Anyone else hear that?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dober I dont know anything about the Ridgelines but it sure sounds like a Crewmax Tundra would suit you well, an dstill be able to haul hunting camp anywhere you'd like. What I would suggest you do is check your local classifieds for a used one. Theres folks all over selling their pickups for cars and taking huge losses, even in Alaska (which isn't very populated ) Craigs list has several for sale at a much lower price than new. Just a thought, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Tundra with 10,000 miles on it anymore than a new one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Part-I haven't heard that and a couple of guys from my office drive them, one of the fellas runs his fairly hard.

I kind of be leaning Tundra and or Titan, although one of the 4 door Tacoma's would do me just fine as well. Problem being that I don't feel you'll pick up enough more mileage over the Tundra to make it worth going with the smaller size.

Thoughts?

And thanks for all your help guys

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Partagas
Mark I almost suggested the Titan but have heard they have had problems, you might want to do a little research on that.

Anyone else hear that?

I had heard the early ones has electrical issues. Nothing more frustrating to a mechanic which usually means it take extra time to figure out. Most shops above 80 bucks an hour - that adds up.

Me

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4x4, Hemi, auto tranny, 3:92 gears. My truck has been great so far. I've towed our 6,700 lbs. camper trailer back and forth to hunting camp last season with ease. I tow my four place ATV trailer which weighs about 4,000 lbs. all the time.

You can have trouble with any brand. A guy that owns a small engine repair shop (mowers, snow blower and such) that we do business with had a 2007 Tundra 4 door, 4x4 tow package ect. He had camshaft problems and had to have a transmission put in it. Both before he put 5,000 mile on the truck. He never towed over 4,000 lbs. with it. He ended up trading it in on a GMC. I know another guy that had transmission trouble with his 2007 Tundra. Had it fixed and has had any trouble since. I know guys that had the same problems with Fords, Dodges and Chevy/GMC's. Don't know anyone that's owned a Titan.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, every brand has his problems -- though the Dodges seem to be ok. lately. Then again, my diesel mechanic bought a 2008 CTD, and they can't keep it out of the dealership -- keeps trying to run the regen cycle. Driving everyone nuts. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I've heard a few guys say they have had clutch issues with the 6 speed manuals in 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges with the CTD the last few years. Others have put over 100K on their original clutches and never had any problems at all. I know a bunch of guys that have flat out smoked their Allison transmissions in 3/4 and 1 ton Chevy and GMC's just from plowing snow. I know a lot of guys with Ford diesels that haven't been happy since the days of the tried and true 7.3L Power Stroke.

Half ton trucks, get whatever brand you feel the most comfortable with. Take care of it and you should be fine. If you need a heavier truck...buy one from the get go. A lot of people buy half ton trucks and use them like they were 3/4 or 1 tons then end up having problems down the road.

At any rate they all have their pros and cons.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If I were in the market for a half ton pickup I'd pick the new Tundra. However, dodge makes a much underrated pickup and between the big three I'd pick a dodge over ford or chevy. My 98 dodge diesel has 340,000 hard miles on it and I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it tommorow for a cross country trip. Whenever someone starts talking crap about dodge I just ask them how many miles their truck has on it, that usually shuts them up pretty quick.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Crowhunter.My 98 Dodge Cummins has 86K on it. It is on it's 3rd lift pump and 3rd Injection pump. At 85K I had to put on new rotors, calipers and front pads.

All through warranty they worked on the front end because it dived to the right every time it was warmand you hit the brakes.They put shims on the right wheel ,but it didn't fix the problem They put new brakes on it ,but it didn't fix the problem.They diddled with it until the warranty ran out and then told me it was my problem. It still has the diving problem.
Over all,thoug it is still better thanthe last Ford I had

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Dober,
I have a '99 Dodge 2500 diesel, with 90K miles on it. The only things ever done to this truck are tires, a high performance torque converter and valve body, and a chip.

This is the first Dodge I have owned, after 4 Fords and one Chevy in the last 30 years. My next truck will most definitely be a Dodge.

I'm holding out for a 2009, which has some new body and interior changes, and the Hemi in 380 hp. I'm going gas the next time, due to the high initial cost for the Cummins option, and the fact that diesel fuel continues to sell for 70c/gal. more than gas around here.

Besides- hard to beat the sound of that Hemi!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2008 Tundra with 4000 miles on it so far. Best mileage has been 19.5 and worst has been 16.5. This driving is all at 6000 feet altitude and above so not sure how that effects mileage. For the mileage over the Tacomas, it is a no brainer for what I wanted. Course I'm 6'7" and the Tacos were a bit tight. I did not get the crewmax and I can still get 6 footers in the back seat with comfort. The Tundra rocks. Matching Snugtop shell is due in late this week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I'm holding out for a 2009,, and the Hemi in 380 hp. I'm going gas the next time, due to the high initial cost for the Cummins option, and the fact that diesel fuel continues to sell for 70c/gal. more than gas around here.

Besides- hard to beat the sound of that Hemi!!

Cant see the new Hemi not having worse fuel mileage than the current as they have suped it up in 09 to match the new Tundra's HP. The current Hemis get pretty poor mileage, cant see the new ones being a good investment with the new age of oil prices.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not getting it for the fuel mileage- laugh

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh........ then you must be getting it to get a better close up look at the taillights of the new Tundras then....grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=AlaskaCubCant see the new Hemi not having worse fuel mileage than the current as they have suped it up in 09 to match the new Tundra's HP. The current Hemis get pretty poor mileage, cant see the new ones being a good investment with the new age of oil prices. [/quote]

That's your probem- you can't see past the Toyota fog.... wink

YES the new Hemi wil get better MPG due to several advancements but I would be wasting my breath with you to explain.

Hemi

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an 01 Ram 1500 with the 360. Loaded or unloaded I get 13 mpg all day every day. I also have an 07 Tundra Double Cab with the 4.7 V8.

I use the Ram as a Hunting truck. It does everything I need it to as a hunting rig, I have no qualms about taking it anywhere, it has been nothing but reliable, only having to replace the tires and oil changes.

However, the Tundra is in a class of its own. I get about 20mpg highway and around 17 in the city on 85 octane. The Ram NEEDS 91 or else is sounds horrible. With the Double Cab I can sit back there with ease (I am 6'1"). The comfort on long trips is quite a bit better than any of the other trucks I tried before buying the Tundra which included the RAM, F-150, and Silverado. I bought the 4.7 as I know myself too well, and I would have gotten myself in trouble with the local law enforcement and speeding if I had the larger engine; and I have never felt underpowered with the smaller engine.

I would get another Tundra in a heartbeat, and am in fact looking at the Sequoia for my wife.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hemi

YES the new Hemi wil get better MPG due to several advancements but I would be wasting my breath with you to explain.

Hemi

You are correct it would be a waste of your breath, been there (Dodge) done that, even worked for em for a while.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have yet to hear of ANY of the Dodge HEMI (sic) trucks even sniffing 20mpg.

Me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yea but Dodge has managed to make thier trucks look good.

Something the Tundra department is seriously lacking. grin

Last edited by mud_bogger; 07/19/08.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 406_SBC, 17CalFan, 19 invisible), 2,802 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,536,004
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.