Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tray,

If you like the Weatherby look and want to reduce the cost, by a Howa 1500 barreled action in 7mm Rem Mag stainless or blue (plus or minus $325.00). Order a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock inletted for a Weatherby Vanguard LA ($215.00 Several color options exist).

Low and behold, you now have a cloned 7mm Mag Weatherby.

Good Luck
rossi

GB1

T
TRAY Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Big Stick & rossi: The initial cost for the rifle is not an issue. I mentioned to some others that I could actually go buy both, however, that's not necessary. My concern was the ammo since I'm not presently set up at home to re-load my own. I do like to shoot and feeding that habit with WBY. ammo can add up rahter quickly.

Here's another thought that crossed my mind after receiving goood input from another forum member. Buy the WBY. in 7mm Rem Mag. I get the Wby. style, accuracy, and quality in Rem. Mag. caliber.

Great idea that made me think.

...T. Ray
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the latest issue of SCI magazine, Craig Boddington writes about his favorite calibers. One of them is the 7 Wby mag which according to him "is considerably faster" than the 7 RM. In his book, American Hunting Rifles, he states that "Federal's 160gr Nos;er Partition load for the 7RM features an impressive MV of 2,950 fps. On the next page, he states the 7 WBY with the same bullet clocks at 3200 fps, but taking into account the 26" Wby barrel vs. the 24" of most & Rms the difference is less. When you do the math, it comes out to about 200 fps difference. I said 150 fps, it's really closer to 200 according to Boddington. The reloading books make them even closer. Anybody out there done any head-to-head testing of these two? Even if Boddington's figure hold, I still say the 7RM is the way to go. You can buy ammo for it anywhere and I don't think the animals will tell the difference. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 7mm Wby in a Sucks Classic. I prefer the Wby to the Remington 7mm mag. because it gets a bit higher velocity at maximum loading. I also think the longer case neck on the Wby makes the cartridge look sexier than the Remington. Sex sells ! Also, one final vanity thing. Not everybody has a 7mm Wby. while nearly everybody has a 7mm Remington. I like the exclusivness of having something not everyone else does.

Rolly
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a copy of Shotgun News that has an advertisement from CDNNinvestments. They have listed a Mark V Weatherby avaliable in many of Weatherby's chambereings and also the 7mm Rem Mag, and I think, the 300 Win Mag. The cost is about 550.00 (give or take 25.00, I don't have the ad in front of me right now.)

IC B2

T
TRAY Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well, here's my update. I went out to the local Gun Shop on Sunday and did the touchy-feely thing. Handled a WBY Mark 5, Rem. Sendero, and a WBY SBGM. Both the Rem & Mark V. weigh in at 8-1/2 & 8-3/4 pounds respectively (26" heavier barrel). The SBGM weighs in at 6-3/4 pounds (24" lighter barrel). I really liked the SBGM weight and balance. I also looked at the Savage 116FSS and another Remmy 700 BDL.

I'll remain with the 7mm Rem. Mag., but still weighing other issues. I have settled on the lighter weight. I'm not interested in toting around 10-11+ pounds all day. Been down this road with other guns.

I'm getting closer to a decision each day and getting excited about it.

...T. Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the 7 Rem and 7 Wby are loaded to identical pressures out of a 26 inch barrel, one gets the same results. The Wby can get a bit more velocity from the companies proprietary powders and loadings via it's freebore and it's ability to take a higher pressure load. The trade off for that tiny extra is throat cutting and erosion along with a shorter barrel life and more frequent bore scrubbings.

A game animal will never know the difference of an extra 40 fps velocity nor an additional 50-ft-lbs of energy at extended ranges.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My 700 classic in 7mm Weath. is a dream to load for. The 7mm Rem . mag on the other hand has a very bad reputation for pressure spikes of unknown reasons. I don't think I'd want to go there if I were going to reload. 7MM WM all the way! I'm right at 3000fps with a Nos. 175 Part. and 71 grns of H4831 ,Fed 215 sparks and Rem cases and all looks good.Of course you must reduce by 10 % and start your own loads. Mark.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.