Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
tbear....yep, have climbed a few. The link Hawkeye posted gives the release date on the lead in of part 1 of 3. 1962. Whew! Sign of the times theres no way any producers would put that on prime time anymore.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One more thing and I'll stop posting. Dogs KNOW. Don't ask me how or what, they just KNOW. Maybe they don't have a spirit; maybe they have something else God just didn't tell us about or name, but they KNOW. My mother, God resting her soul as we speak, passed away early one morning before daylight with my sister, a niece and me at bedside. She was loved in the neighborhood by one and all and viewed pretty much as Grandmaw. When the hearse came to take her we three and others watched from her front porch as she made her last trip down the street. It was just dawn and as the hearse passed the houses one by one, if there was a dog there it began a mournful howl. You could shut your eyes and tell where she was by listening. As she was carried out of our sight every dog on the street was still speaking that howl, and I'm convinced, mourning her passing. When the hearse was finally gone they stopped together. I've never before or since witnessed anything remotely like this and I'm still not quite sure it's full meaning. But dogs KNOW.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The little gray girl in my avatar loved the black one with a love I've never seen before.
When he died one Sunday afternoon, I put him in the back of my vehicle, planning to take him to be cremated on Monday morning.
I could not get her to stay in the house, she spent the entire time laying beside him.
She actually cried like a kid when I tried to force her away from him
Next morning she went with me to the place, walked along side the gurney we placed him on to go inside, and waited while I wrote a check.
Time to go, she lifted her head, licked his nose, and it was over.
She mourned so bad for the next week I thought she would die. I had to go get the largest dog I could find at the pound, she kicked his butt in the first half mile going home, and ruled the house for another 7 years.
Their ashes are mixed atop a 10,000 ft ridge. just inside the treeline, and sharp dropoff to a pretty little valley that has lots of Deer and Elk.
I'll never hunt that valley.

Last edited by Tracks; 07/15/08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, dogs KNOW - somehow, someway, they just KNOW.

I received a phone call from my sister one afternoon, just over a year ago, informing me that our father had died, obviously unexpectedly. The conversation was short and I didn't say a whole lot. Before I could even react and begin crying, our Border Collie/Lab mix came over and laid his head on my lap and looked at me as if to say "I am so sorry for your loss, when you hurt, I hurt". Then he sat there motionless looking at me with sadness in his big brown eyes while I lost it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I can't believe you guys don't know where dogs go when they die.

Time to lighten this up.

It's a really cool place, let me tell you about it.

Dog heaven is a place where a dog can go & eat a big pile of baby diapers and then go lick a guy on the face.

In dog heaven there are 1/4 mile drag strips lined with shag carpet, dogs go there to race dragging there a$$ across the entire 1/4 mile stretch of shag. (everyone's a winner)

In dog heaven they get to smell like they want to, for this reason dog heaven is well stocked with skunks, cow manure, rotting fish gut piles, dead woodchucks and rotten eggs.

In dog heaven there are no consequences for poor judgment. There are porcupines in dog heaven, and dogs can bite them all day long without consequence, not a single quill.

Dogs eat people food in dog heaven.

Barking very loudly for no apparent reason is encouraged & rewarded.

Leather couches, expensive hunting boots, motorcycle/atv and snowmobile seats are all chew toys.

Are you pickin up what I'm putt'n down brudda?

anyone care to add to the list? it's easy...

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm with ya on that. I for one know my dog won't just wait patiently for me to show up. She's gonna tear the crap outa anything she comes across, dig holes in the flowers, & be perpetually covered in cow poo.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shootem
Hey Hawkeye, thanks for the link. Just emailed all 3 parts to myself. My kids and wife have never seen that episode and now they can. Gonna make sure the lights are down and the kleenex are close.
Yeah, I know what you mean. And, yes, from that site you can watch the entire episode in three parts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

They indeed go to Heaven. A dog is a heavenly reminder of just what love is and should be. Unconditional love, regardless of our wealth, looks or health, giving back 10 times the love they are given.

I lost my Lucy last year. I wrote this the night I returned, alone, from the vet.

The Last Ride

Tonight the book slowly closed on another life in this world. To most people it will be an insignificant event. It will be nothing that changes what they do tomorrow or how they live the rest of their lives.

To others, it would seem meaningless to mourn this passing. And still others would silently scoff at any emotional reaction to the turn of a final page.

Her name was Lucy. She was 10 and a half years old. She holds a place in my heart no other has held nor can take. Lucy added to this world in a way few can. She made every day, no matter how distressing, depressing or seemingly hopeless, a better day. Few who have ever walked this Earth can hold acclaim to that lofty standard.

Lucy had no vices. No faults, really. She was never critical. Never judgmental. Never disappointed in what I did not or could not achieve. She was there. always, to show me God's greatest gift - love.

She loved unconditionally. And she was loved unconditionally.

Lucy was my best friend. Ten and a half years of being there for every down life had to offer. She was always there to show me that there is a higher purpose to this world, and that the downs in life matter little beyond this world.

Lucy could not talk, but she communicated. Better than most people ever will. She sensed sorrow and offered comfort, sensed pain and offered relief. Sensed worry and offered calm. Sensed disappointment and offered joy. She always knew just what to do, even though she could not express her feelings with words.

My best friend was what some would label a "dog". But to those that would open their eyes and hearts and see Lucy for what she truly was, that label was not fitting of her loving glow.

One of her greatest joys in life was taking a ride in a car. Not just any car, but "Lucy's car". And it is probably only fitting that Lucy passed from us while riding in her car. It as is if she sensed her end was upon her, and that she would rather take her last breath in one of her favorite surroundings rather than expire on a cold table under the glare of bright lights.

I cannot say for certain when the time was. I continued to check on her frequently, and told her over and over that it would be all right. I could hear her breathing as if to tell me that she knew it would be all right. It was not until we tried to get her out of "her" car that I realized she was gone. No CPR or drug was going to bring her back home with me.

And now I sit, her collar in my hand, wondering why she is not here and wishing silently that this is all a dream. But it is not a dream, and her collar, her "pretty necklace" slides slowly from one hand to the other. Thinking of Lucy. Trying to wish her back to me.

Lucy is at peace now. Lucy has gone home to wait for me. Some think that animals do not have a soul. But they are God's creatures. And anything that has that amount of love within them is certainly something that God would never forsake. I will see her again one day. Until then I will find some way to cope with her loss. I will, for her. And I will remember forever the power of God's love that was reflected in those large brown eyes.

Goodbye, Lucy. I will carry you always in my heart. And I will miss you terribly until my final hour.

I believe that she'll be there when I round the corner. Something that has such a profound effect on a man's life would not be denied to him in the next world.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by shootem
One more thing and I'll stop posting. Dogs KNOW. Don't ask me how or what, they just KNOW. Maybe they don't have a spirit; maybe they have something else God just didn't tell us about or name, but they KNOW. My mother, God resting her soul as we speak, passed away early one morning before daylight with my sister, a niece and me at bedside. She was loved in the neighborhood by one and all and viewed pretty much as Grandmaw. When the hearse came to take her we three and others watched from her front porch as she made her last trip down the street. It was just dawn and as the hearse passed the houses one by one, if there was a dog there it began a mournful howl. You could shut your eyes and tell where she was by listening. As she was carried out of our sight every dog on the street was still speaking that howl, and I'm convinced, mourning her passing. When the hearse was finally gone they stopped together. I've never before or since witnessed anything remotely like this and I'm still not quite sure it's full meaning. But dogs KNOW.
Yes, they do. My current dog, Colby the Pitbull, was practically raised from a pup by my previous dog, Caesar the Doberman. Caesar taught him, basically, how to be a dog, and how to play like a dog. Colby worshipped Caesar, but was always possessive of his toys. On the day Caesar had to be put down (he had slipped into perpetual unconsciousness at age 12), Colby seemed to sense that we were getting ready to take Caesar to the vet for the last time. He went and got his favorite toy and gently placed it down by Caesar's face, took a couple of steps backwards, and just looked at him forlornly. He'd never before given another dog one of his toys. I'm choking up thinking about it. Here they are when Caesar was about ten and a half years old playing with Colby who's about a year and a half old in this picture.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
10437-Colby&Caesar.JPG (62.26 KB, 35 downloads)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hard and soft thread at the same time.

On the lighter side a tip my grandfather gave me if you want a pup to bond with you. When the time comes that they are beginning to attach themself to you, hold their head and spit into their mouth while looking him or her in the eye.

Also give him one of your socks to play with and he will find you if at all possible.

Treat that dog right and from then on he will be primarily yours alone.

Granddad was from the hard coal country of Pa. in an area and time when superstitions had a strong hold on people, but I've found much of what he believed to be more truth than old wives tale.

Battue

Last edited by battue; 07/15/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
aint that the truth wuzza.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And every car they chase they catch. Then pee on a tire and let it go. LOL Dave. I'm copying & saving that one.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There aint no dog shampoo up there either, no cutsie dog sweaters or dog shirts....

No collers of any kind.

Lotsa squirrels though, endless supply of squirrels to chase, and they catch em.

and they can eat chocolate... finally!!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In dog heaven, we will recognize that they were always as good as we remember them, and that the human failings of self-absorption and impatience are what got in the way of our seeing it the first time around. My hope would be that if I ever get together with my dogs again that I would be able to actually live up to the opinion they held of me all along.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fences everywhere just to be dug under.

Fire hydrants every 10 feet with Chuck Schumer & Bill Clinton pictures on the side.

Screen doors they can tear through to get to the cat food.

Trucks they can DRIVE while their master sits on the passenger side with his head out the window.

Veterinarians that are dogs too and never give shots.

To be continued......

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
And the boy dogs that were fixed down here on earth....

Well, they get there jinglies back.

The jublies, the berries... They grow back. grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
cropped ears & snipped tails grow back too so you might not recognize them at first when you see them again grin

Something clever here.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have jumped over a few posts, so forgive me if it has been said...

Has anybody said that in dog heaven the toilet seat is always up to allow convenient drinking (prior to licking the master's face of course)? smile

Would make my old beagle happy anyway!

John

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good one....and there's never a t--d in the toilet. Only BabyRuth bars.(Back to that eating chocolate thing by Dave)

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The skin on the tennis balls, baseballs, softballs are self healing. The skin grows back after the dog peels it clean, so they can get right after it again.

Something clever here.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.