Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
often you would hit one with the 06 and they were down, only to shoot at a couple others and realize the first one was back up again, you shot as needed.

A good lesson right there.

Shoot one shot at a time. Shoot as often as needed.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
If you are going to buy one weapon to issue your troops, it's hard to beat the versatility of the M16 with quality ammo (mk262)...

AK - less accurate, heavier ammo, shorter effective range, no optic

FAL - heavier ammo, optic mounting issues

M16 / Grendel - heavier ammo, lower mag capacity, reliability issues?

M14 - heavier ammo, shorter effective range (aimed fire), lower mag capacity, optic mounting issue

Last edited by medicjim; 07/15/08.
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I got this one (a 308). It be my truck gun.

[Linked Image]

Solves lots of problems.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of the "M4" type AR10's coming out, like the one BMT just bought, have got to be interesting in this context.

Accurate.

Reliable (Mine was anyway)

Easy to mount optics.

How's the blast and recoil, BMT? Let's go find out. We'll do a direct comparo of short M14's and short AR10's. :-)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No problem with blast and recoil.

I am shooting 147 grainers over 45 grains of R-15.

BMT

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well it and it's ammo are heavier than an M16, it's louder, it has more muzzle blast and it it recoils more. It solves some but not all of the M14's issues. The Army at least has adopted a large M16 type weapon in 7.62x51 as a semi auto sniper rifle.

One of the great things about the M16 family is how easy they are to shoot well for anyone of any skill level. That's ergonomics, recoil and weight all rolled into one.

Last edited by Planemech; 07/15/08.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jimmypgeorgia
Originally Posted by TacticalSquirrel
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by medicjim
I've treated a few folks shot with .223 (m193). I will simply state that the wounds were catastrophic and made my job as a medic irrelevent. The weapon system is capable of very, very lethal effects on humans.

AGREED. The topic really centers on the issue is Stopping a threat immeidately, not killing eventually. Much like a dangerous game rifle.

Very little matters more than shot placement.

Tough issue, really.

BMT

What really matters is not just shot placement, but shooting and shooting and hitting and hitting, forcing the body to shut down. Don't stop until the threat is down, be it a 22LR, 5.56mm, 7.62, or 460 Rigby. Shoot until its done, and move on to the next one.

how many firefights have you been in Tacticalsquirrel?

Urgent Fury
Just Cause
Desert Storm

Rangers Lead The Way

Mike

Attached Images
10438-CIB-3.png (10.73 KB, 222 downloads)
10439-Image812.gif (5.33 KB, 225 downloads)
10440-1st_rgrbn_small.gif (7.88 KB, 222 downloads)
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Planemech
Well it and it's ammo are heavier than an M16, it's louder, it has more muzzle blast and it it recoils more. It solves some but not all of the M14's issues. The Army at least has adopted a large M16 type weapon in 7.62x51 as a semi auto sniper rifle.

Many valid points, but as we knwo everything is a compromise.

Power is better, but more power increases weight of the ammo and weapon.

If I recall correctly, the standard issue ammunition supply is 9 thirty round magazines of 5.56 (270 rounds). Assuming that a Loaded round weighs 170 grains that equals 6.55 pounds of ammo.(270 x 170 / 7000 = 6.55)

Again, If I recall correctly, the M-14 ammunition supply was 10 twenty round magazines (200 rounds). Assuming that a Loaded round weighs 375 grains that equals 10.7 pounds of ammo (200 x 375 / 7000 = 10.7 pounds).

The difference in ammo weight is a little over 3 pounds. My rifle (pictured above) weighs little under 1.5 pounds more than a standard M-4. Total cost in weight is about 4.5 pounds (ignoring differences in the weight of 223 vs. 308 magazines--I did not weigh those).

An average infantryman carries about 65 pounds of gear. So, the switch to the 308 DISPLACES 4.5 pounds of gear. (The 65 pound figure has been remarkably constant over the centuries -- technology has enabled us to get more/better stuff into the 65 pounds).

In general, I prefer the power over "gadgets". But I am in the minority in this matter. Our army LOVES gadgets, and it is a very fine army, so I cannot complain.

For my uses, the 308 gets the nod, and I let go of the "gadgets".

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/15/08.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Balvarik

Urgent Fury
Just Cause
Desert Storm

Rangers Lead The Way

Mike

Thank you for your service.

But, Rangers don't lead. They drop in, sneak around, report the intel, and watch as the Marines get all shot up. . . . . whistle

At least that is what the Marines tell me . . . . grin

BMT

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=jimmypgeorgia how many firefights have you been in Tacticalsquirrel? [/quote]

My paycheck comes from carrying a firearm as a LEO. I was assigned SWAT duties for the part-time team of one agency I worked for. I have not fired lethal shots thankfully, however I have been in numerous situations involving lethal force. I was a mere fraction of an inch of completeing my trigger pull on a youth with a gun who's actions stopped before I fired. I had another where I was on a scene providing cover while the callout was getting organized. My duties also were Less Lethal and the situation developed where I had to let the long gun down on the sling and begin pulling the trigger on beanbags. His actions were not stopped by my 1st shot and escalated and needed lethal force at the same time I fired another bean bag. I can recount more, but the fact is that I have been in enough entries and situations and have had extensive training in my field in areas of the patrol rifle, SWAT, and others.

Hope this explains the background from where I develop my positions. Anything I type I can back up, and I tend not to post much except in areas I do have the ability to show sources to back up what I say. As you may have noticed, the patrol rifle is an area I have a lot of passion for and try to clear up any inaccurate info that floats around the web when its worth the time to correct.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BMT

Urgent Fury
Just Cause
Desert Storm

Rangers Lead The Way

Mike

But, Rangers don't lead. They drop in, sneak around, report the intel, and watch as the Marines get all shot up. . . . . whistle

BMT

Only Marines I saw in Grenada were flying Cobra's and fast-movers! wink
Each of those Gold Stars in my jump-wings come from being the tip of the spear!
We were first into the thick of it.
Now DS was where I truly came to appreciate my Marine Brethren!!
I've been on hand for M193 5.56mm hits from 5-feet to 335-meters(my spotter taking up slack as I reloaded 25Oct1983).
Mike

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
IIRC, the basic load is 210 rounds of 5.56. Been a while and memory is a bit foggy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Every single time I went into a combat zone,my ruck was loaded with a wee bit more but every single troop in my squad had his seven 30-round mags and at least eight to ten bandoleer's in their rucks.

Mike

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TacticalSquirrel
[quote=jimmypgeorgia how many firefights have you been in Tacticalsquirrel?

My paycheck comes from carrying a firearm as a LEO. I was assigned SWAT duties for the part-time team of one agency I worked for. I have not fired lethal shots thankfully, however I have been in numerous situations involving lethal force. I was a mere fraction of an inch of completeing my trigger pull on a youth with a gun who's actions stopped before I fired. I had another where I was on a scene providing cover while the callout was getting organized. My duties also were Less Lethal and the situation developed where I had to let the long gun down on the sling and begin pulling the trigger on beanbags. His actions were not stopped by my 1st shot and escalated and needed lethal force at the same time I fired another bean bag. I can recount more, but the fact is that I have been in enough entries and situations and have had extensive training in my field in areas of the patrol rifle, SWAT, and others.

Hope this explains the background from where I develop my positions. Anything I type I can back up, and I tend not to post much except in areas I do have the ability to show sources to back up what I say. As you may have noticed, the patrol rifle is an area I have a lot of passion for and try to clear up any inaccurate info that floats around the web when its worth the time to correct. [/quote]

then the answer is that Balvarik is more knowledgable on this subject.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Right... so basic load was in fact 210 rounds. Combat load was dependent on mission. IIRC, they teach that in either PLDC or BNCOC. Point was that BMT's weight figure would be off by about 1.5 pounds based on the incorrect basic load of 5.56 in his comparison.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
wink
Now toss in that AT-4(LAW's in my day or 90mm RCL rounds),demo-charges,spare barrel for the 240,ammo for the 7.62 and any other mission critical gear!
Why do you think that we had each of our squad never have less than 50lbs in their ruck when we had rucksack runs!

Travel-Light Freeze at night!

Mike

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yep I understand all of that including the ruck runs, force marches and the LAW's too. Ran many a squad and couple of PLT's. We probably got to the gulf around the same time.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BMT

Urgent Fury
Just Cause
Desert Storm

Rangers Lead The Way

Mike

BMT

Only Marines I saw in Grenada were flying Cobra's and fast-movers! wink
Each of those Gold Stars in my jump-wings come from being the tip of the spear!
We were first into the thick of it.
Now DS was where I truly came to appreciate my Marine Brethren!!
I've been on hand for M193 5.56mm hits from 5-feet to 335-meters(my spotter taking up slack as I reloaded 25Oct1983).
Mike

Thank you also for your service.

Yes, a buddy of mine from College also saw Grenada ("We just dropped in for a visit" he would say--but not much else).

But I don't see how that excuses you from good natured ribbing . . . . wink

My military career was highlighted by three attempts at volunteering and a fatal wound suffered at Oakland MEPS.

My football injuries were enough to keep me out after Gramm-Rudman passed in 1986.

Today, they'd pay me a bonus to join. . . . . sick

Timing is everything they say, eh?

BMT

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
TWR

Let me be clear. External cartridge dimensions of the .223 and the 5.56 are the same. My handiest reference on that is Nosler #6. Thickness and malleability of brass can vary, as with any cartridge from diferent manufacturers.

If you have cartridge descriptions with different external dimensions between the two designations, we'd all like to see them, I'm sure.

In general I defer to rost495 in matters of 5.56 who has much more technical experience than I, but I agree leade has nothing to do with standard cartridge dimensions

This just goes to show how solidly imbedded some of these beliefs are, when they have no basis in fact.

Anyway, I'm just trying to help make sense of this. It won't hurt my feelers if someone can show that I'm wrong.

stumbled across this and there is plenty of info out there for those who will do the research and choose to beleive what they find by testing things out for themselves and using some common sense.
[Linked Image]
"This just goes to show how solidly imbedded some of these beliefs are, when they have no basis in fact."

That's funny right there.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hound_va
IIRC, the basic load is 210 rounds of 5.56. Been a while and memory is a bit foggy.

Dang it. I knew that. blush

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/15/08.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,251 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.