Hop To
257_Roy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jackson arrested after police chase
By Kevin Iole and Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports
2 hours, 15 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintFormer UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton �Rampage� Jackson was arrested and held on $25,000 bail following a traffic accident Tuesday afternoon in Costa Mesa, Calif.

According to Costa Mesa police Lt. Paul Dondero, an officer observed the 30-year old Jackson driving with a flat tire on his 2008 Ford F-350 pickup truck and talking on his cell phone (which recently became illegal while driving in Calif.) and attempted to pull him over.

Dondero said Jackson, a resident of Irvine, Calif., ignored the officer and continued driving with the officer in pursuit.

Police had received a report of a vehicle involved in a collision on the 55 Freeway in Costa Mesa, which struck other vehicles and fled the scene, Dondero said.

The chase continued with the vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, including at one point driving on the wrong side of the road and even on a sidewalk, scaring pedestrians.

Dondero said Jackson hit two cars at 19th Street and Newport Boulevard at 1:13 p.m., but failed to stop. He said a Costa Mesa police officer saw the truck near 17th Street and attempted to pull it over.

Jackson fled and hit at least one more car before the five-minute chase ended with his arrest, the lieutenant said.

The officer saw the vehicle in a second collision. It is believed nobody was injured.

The car continued to Newport Beach, where the tire blew out and came off the rim and he was taken into the Orange County Central jail, where he is being held on $25,000 bail. The fighter was charged with hit-and-run driving, felony evading and reckless driving.

UFC president Dana White flew to Orange County upon learning of the arrest and said he was driving to the county jail to post bail for Jackson.

The story was initially reported by the website TMZ.com, which has photos of Jackson lying face down on the street behind his truck, a 2008 Ford F-350 turbo diesel, as a police officer has his gun drawn and is pointing it at him.

Jackson won the UFC light heavyweight title by knocking out Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 on May 26, 2007. After a successful defense against Dan Henderson on Sept. 5, Jackson lost the belt to Forrest Griffin on a controversial decision at UFC 86 on July 5 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Jackson�s manager/trainer, Juanito Ibarra, did not immediately return phone calls.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the feeling this just cost him his automatic rematch with Forrest Griffin.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Confirms my feelings all along - he really is an idiot.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Was glad to see Forrest beat him. Forrest should have ended the fight after that big leg kick. I love it when Jackson gets his ass kicked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The two kicks Forrest landed at the start of round 2 were about as nasty as any I've ever seen.Supposedly Jackson's knee is alright,but he's got some really deep bone bruises.

Jackson's trainer said all he'd teach him to do differently in the rematch would be "throw more punches".Why don't you teach him to check a friggin low kick?

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I know is that mofo must have one strong neck wearing that damn chain around all the time. Wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley, can see why the fuzz had his gun drawn. Oh yeah, I like Griffin, too, real hard nosed fella.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DOH...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buzz,
"At least we gave you round one"-CLASSIC!!!!!!!

Scorpion,
I don't think you'd have to worry about meeting Jackson in a dark alley.He's a nice guy and a born again Christian.Whatever happened this morning is very out of character for him.I have a feeling he just had a really,really bad day.

I feel sorry for his family-he's got a wife and four kids IIRC,one of whom is albino.

WB.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"UFC president Dana White flew to Orange County upon learning of the arrest and said he was driving to the county jail to post bail for Jackson"

Is it odd that the UFC President has to fly in to post bail? I mean seriously, that's $2,500 bucks (or the equivalent of one set of those mud bogger tires he's got on that truck)!

Okay, silly me, I didn't see that GIANT advertisement for Toyo tires on the side of his truck!!!

Last edited by Duffman; 07/15/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quinton or his wife or trainer could have bailed him out-hell,he just made $225,000 a little over a week ago.

I have the feeling Dana White just wants to see WTF is wrong with him.He did a simmilar thing when Chuck Liddell nodded off in the middle of a TV interview a year or so back.

WB.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like things just keep getting worse for the former champ.

Jackson Under Mental Evaluation
Thursday, July 17, 2008
by Loretta Hunt (lhuntsherdog.com)

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson (Pictures) was hospitalized Wednesday for mental evaluation less than 24 hours following his arrest on hit-and-run, reckless driving, and felony evading charges after a high-speed pursuit with officers through the California suburbs from Costa Mesa to Newport Beach.

Jackson had been released Tuesday evening from the Costa Mesa jail after posting the 25,000 dollar bail. He was detained by Irvine authorities at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday and was directly transported to an undisclosed area hospital for observation.

�A couple of friends flagged down officers in front of the Jackson home,� said Lt. Rick Handfield, of the Irvine police dept. �An acquaintance asked the officer to help because they felt Mr. Jackson might be a threat to himself or others.�

Handfield said the 30-year old fighter spoke with an officer outside his Irvine residence and was cooperative with their requests. Handfield would not disclose any further description of Jackson�s state.

A friend close to Jackson said the fighter had slept and ate little in the last few days.

It is believed that Jackson is being held for 72-hour observation under standard protocol for �5150� detainees, which is law enforcement vernacular for a �mentally unstable� individual. During the three-day period, the patient is not able to check himself out of medical custody while an evaluation is made. Medical officials could extend that period if they deem the patient is mentally unfit.

The light heavyweight kingpin known for his dynamic slams and power punches relinquished his crown over a week ago at UFC 86 �Jackson vs. Griffin� on July 5 in Las Vegas. A heavy favorite in the championship bout, Jackson (27-8) sustained a leg injury in an earlier round, but continued to stand and trade with challenger Forrest Griffin (Pictures). Griffin, a rival coach to Jackson on Spike TV�s �The Ultimate Fighter 7� this past spring, was awarded the unanimous decision and the title after five rounds.

One of the UFC�s most colorful personalities, Jackson had been tapped in March for a Nike commercial that also included NBA standout LeBron James, as well as other standout athletes.

According to a Costa Mesa police dept. press release Tuesday, Jackson was observed weaving his Ford pick-up truck in and out of traffic on a flat front tire while talking on his cell phone. When an officer on motorcycle attempted to pull Jackson over, the fighter continued driving, barreling through red lights and onto sidewalks on multiple occasions, �causing pedestrians to flee in terror.� Jackson collided with one vehicle during the pursuit and was later linked to two more collisions on the southbound 55 Freeway prior to the chase.

Jackson eventually gave himself up to police, who had their weapons drawn, outside a friend's home in Newport Beach.

Though authorities had originally stated that no one had been injured, the OC Register reported that a pregnant Huntington Beach woman was hospitalized after her car was sideswiped on the freeway.

Multiple attempts to reach Jackson�s manager, Juanito Ibarra, have been unsuccessful.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 07/17/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 985 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.