Print Thread
Hop To
H
HOSS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have a curiosity question and maybe some of the African PH's can shed some light on. I know that most of us set around and dream of taking our favorite African big game animal. Mine is the kudu. My question is, is do folks in say South Africa set around and dream of Rocky Mountain Elk, Bighorn sheep,bears,whitetail bucks etc..? Do we take our big game animals for grant-it? Like I say I am just curios. Good shooting. HOSS

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hi Hoss,<P>Personally speaking I have often thought that a hunt for Rocky Mountain sheep and a big bear would be a challenge; I like the idea of travelling up by horse and hunting these species in mountains; this, with some decent bass and flyfishing thrown in is stuff to dream of.<P>I often daydream about doing some tarpon fishing in the Florida Keys area, and after seeing all those waterfowl on ESPN I just drool about the idea of getting across there with my shottie ...you lucky devils.<P>Regards,<P>------------------<BR>Peter V<BR>Shafa Safaris<BR><A HREF="http://www.shafa.net/" TARGET=_blank>Shafa Safaris</A><p>[This message has been edited by Peter V (edited May 21, 2001).]

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a good question! Thanks, Peter V., for sharing one insight.<P>I have a different twist to add...<P>While I'm sure many of the PH's, and plain local RSA hunters may wish to hunt in the States, what about their clients from Europe and Asia?<P>Is the hunting here considered to primitive to the "safari jet set"? Too few amenities at the usual Elk camp?<P>Don't get me wrong! I can't wait to hunt Africa too! JJHack has already spelled out all the good things about wealthy hunters, and I'm not trying to insult them. Plus, I realize not everyone who hunts Africa is rich, just smart! [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

H
HOSS Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Peter V, funny you should mention the tarpon fishing. I am headed down there in about a month for some tarpon and flats fishing. I know that the sheep and big bears are a little "exotic" even to most of us here in the states but if you ever get a chance don't overlook the challenge of taking a MATURE whitetail buck! These things will leave you scratching your head wondering how he escaped without you knowing from a 10 acre woodlot. Good hunting and thanx for the response. HOSS

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
With a few exceptions such as Peter, I would say, on the whole, they do not..Most not even remotly interrested in hunting the US...nor can you blame them considering our pitifull game populations....Wouldn't you agree Peter??<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'd like to spend a LOT of time hunting pheasant and grouse.<P>I'd like to do some prairie dog whacking with a 22-250...<P>I would really like to hunt and fish Alaska.<P>Cheers<P>Pete<P>

Pete M<P>I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gentlemen, I have a friend who is an outfitter in Montana. Primarily he hunts for Elk, deer (Whitetail and Muley) and mountain lions. They also have antelope, black bear and some bird hunting along with unbelievable trout fishing in a 66 acre lake. Have not talked to him but am fairly certain he would be interested in swapping a hunt with someone over there. He only bow hunts so that would be a consideration. If any of you are interested, let me know and I will put you in touch with him. <P>I must admit I have an ulterior motive. If he comes, I will have a partner to hunt with and would have to come myself. :-) Seriously, he is a super guy if any of you decide you might be interested in hunting Montana. TM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reading my last post, I realized I might not have been clear on the bow hunting part. Doc only bowhunts himself but caters to both bow and gun hunters in his business. TM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ray (atkinson),<P>What do you mean by pitifull game population? There are more deer in PA (where I live) now then there was 100 years ago. Even though I am not a turkey hunter, those fugly thangs are everywhere. <P>Since we only have 1.2 million deer hunters in PA I guess we have very few deer, [Linked Image]<P>I hunted in SD for pheasants, I must of killed them all, none left, lol.<P>Ray, sorry, I had to tease a little [Linked Image]<P><BR>Peter V,<P>If you ever manage to get to the States and enjoy good trout fishing, give a yell. I live within 1 mile of one of the best trout streams in the northeast and I don't fish (anymore), go figure. <P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don,<BR>Speaking comparatively my man, ever see a Wildebeest miagration, or a normal day in the Selous where you will see probably 1000 head of plains game in a 4 hour drive...<P>I have never been able to get any of my PH to hunt while visiting...The just laugh at me and say "Man, I'm on vacation, I hunt 9 or 10 months of every year..."

IC B3

Gentleman,<BR>I can assure you that I dream of hunting in the USA but, it is to expensive for me. I have a very good friend that stay in Minneapolis and he came and hunt with me in the RSA. He returned the gesture and I went fishing with him at lake M'lacs(hope the spelling is OK). If I ever managed to scrape the necessary funds together, I can promise you I would like to do a US hunt. We sit around the campfire and we listen to all you US hunters here telling us about your great hunts and then I can just envey you guys.<BR>Have fun!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ray,<P>I know, I was teasing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>I have watched on TV where there were thousands of animals on their migration routes. Just think of the challenge here versus in Africa. It almost seems too easy in Africa. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>I must say the first time I hunted South Dakota for pheasants I didn't beleive there were as many pheasants as there were....it was too easy, like hunting in a chicken coop. <P>IF and thats a big IF, I could keep the other deer hunters out of the woods (locally) I could shoot a deer everyday of the season, providing I had tags. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
If your JOB is hunting you probably don't want to come to the states to hunt. If you are a hunter and even if your job is hunting then you are damn glad to go hunt anywhere.<BR>I am in the gun and hunting business. When I am not at work I am reading or dreaming about guns and hunting. <BR>There is a difference between a job and passion.<BR>Evidently those that Ray has invited but have declined must be working a JOB. I am not saying they are not good at it but it is just a way of making a living...they too may be stuck in a rut as many working people. <BR>Some people get up and go to work each day but then some people get up and go to an exciting career everyday. Thank God I am in the latter.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Harry,<P>"Some people get up and go to work each day but then some people get up and go to an<BR>exciting career everyday. Thank God I am in the latter."<P>You hit the nail square on the head with that statement. It is so sad that people "have" to do a job and don't enjoy it. <P>Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
A happy man is one who has decided what it is that he enjoys, then has found a way to get payed for that activity! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (1_deuce, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,634
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.