Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Right... so basic load was in fact 210 rounds. Combat load was dependent on mission. IIRC, they teach that in either PLDC or BNCOC. Point was that BMT's weight figure would be off by about 1.5 pounds based on the incorrect basic load of 5.56 in his comparison.

AGREED, I the amo weight for 210 rounds is 5.1 pounds or so.

Makes the 308 based AR a 6 pound heavier weapon system (displacing 6 pounds of other gear).

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/15/08.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=jimmypgeorgia

then the answer is that Balvarik is more knowledgable on this subject. [/quote]

Answer? To what? How have Balvarik and I or even you and I conflicted here? You seemed perturbed about something.

What basis do you have to determine what knowledge I do or don't hold? How many shootings have you witnessed? I've seen results of plenty of shootings and death investigations in my career. As in still smelling the blood in the air and tracing what the bullet did. Your question of firefights is very narrow in scope. Your tone implies that any person that has not actually gotten to pull a trigger in combat does not have a say in this discussion. By your standards how do you rate to be able to post in it?

What military or LEO training and experience do you have? How do you think I'm out of line on ANY of my information, and then back it up sir.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 5.56 with the proper ammo does just fine. BTDT.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
TWR

Let me be clear. External cartridge dimensions of the .223 and the 5.56 are the same. My handiest reference on that is Nosler #6. Thickness and malleability of brass can vary, as with any cartridge from diferent manufacturers.

If you have cartridge descriptions with different external dimensions between the two designations, we'd all like to see them, I'm sure.

In general I defer to rost495 in matters of 5.56 who has much more technical experience than I, but I agree leade has nothing to do with standard cartridge dimensions

This just goes to show how solidly imbedded some of these beliefs are, when they have no basis in fact.

Anyway, I'm just trying to help make sense of this. It won't hurt my feelers if someone can show that I'm wrong.

stumbled across this and there is plenty of info out there for those who will do the research and choose to beleive what they find by testing things out for themselves and using some common sense.
[Linked Image]
"This just goes to show how solidly imbedded some of these beliefs are, when they have no basis in fact."

That's funny right there.

Throat is not a cartridge dimension. It is a chamber dimension. Try to pay attention.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
But it affects pressure and if SAAMI says not to interchange them due to possible pressure problems then I'd... oh nevermind do what you want to do.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
"The point being there is no consistent variation between ,223 and 5.56. Higher pressure results only from improper reloading." toltecgriz

Maybe I'm misreading what you wrote but the 5.56 has a longer leade and is warned against firing in .223 Rem chambers for a reason. They are not one and the same.

This has been a problem with some AR's that have 223 chambers, they have been popping primers due to pressure. Ned Christiansen has made a reamer that corrects this problem removing metal only from the leade area. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Don't see the issue of my AR isn't big enough so I won't even go there but I wanted to clarify the above.

BTW, I did pay attention, my first response was about chambers not cartridges and pressure problems that can result.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by TacticalSquirrel
[quote=jimmypgeorgia

then the answer is that Balvarik is more knowledgable on this subject.

Answer? To what? How have Balvarik and I or even you and I conflicted here? You seemed perturbed about something.

What basis do you have to determine what knowledge I do or don't hold? How many shootings have you witnessed? I've seen results of plenty of shootings and death investigations in my career. As in still smelling the blood in the air and tracing what the bullet did. Your question of firefights is very narrow in scope. Your tone implies that any person that has not actually gotten to pull a trigger in combat does not have a say in this discussion. By your standards how do you rate to be able to post in it?

What military or LEO training and experience do you have? How do you think I'm out of line on ANY of my information, and then back it up sir. [/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
LEO have the great advantage of "post-mortum" forensics after a shooting.
Military needs it out of action now and on to the next group of targets.

The advantage of use of different types of bullets lies with LEO.
Military are governed by what the JAG lawyers interpret and leave us with a very limited selection.

I've been witness to hits with M193 and M855 5.56mm on combatants.
To me it seemed that the old M16A1 with M193 was a better at incapacitating than the M16A2 with M855.
Also the M9 needed four to six torso hits to obtain what the M1911A1 would do with one!

Mike

Last edited by Balvarik; 07/16/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Although I have used 5.56 to take out a couple toyota pickups, I will admit that it lacked the punch /knockdown that the TOW missile did when it hit the truck.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Roger That!
Best stop ever was by a M551 from the 3rd/73rd!
152mm HE.
Nuff said.
Mike

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
TWR, do you also read manufacturers instructions? The saami thing is a CYA. Many manufacturers say you can't shoot reloads in their guns either.

The difference in the chambers is no different than the chamber cuts of the same 30-06 but by different makers... Throat length or freebore itself can increase or decrease pressures quite a bit. Thats never really paid attention too by many either.

Bottom line we are arguing about chamber dimensions when the real question is knockdown.... I stand by the fact that if folks get up from a 06 hit, then there are other factors at work some times.

I would not want to be center punched by any of the mentioned rounds.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A good friend of mine told a story from 'Nam about a firefight... he was carrying an M14... the bad guys were hopped up on something (or at least the one in question was) and my friend said he was literally blowing parts off this guy's body but he just kept coming, wouldn't go down, so my friend jumped out of his foxhole and basically dismembered him with a bayonet.

They sent him to the rear for a while after that...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you had a repeatable static target discussions like this would be easier.

In hunting I choose to err on the side of large, just in case. But thats not combat type scenario, where I"d rather have the choice of using more ammo the way I want to. IE center punch a normal target and they could go down, I"ve still got (weight wise) a round left over compared to a larger round. Now if I have to I can double tap or worse. BUt if the first one puts em down, I have spare ammo left... comparatively speaking.

For the other end of the spectrum... well same thing I heard in Korea except it was the 06 not the 308... if the 06 can't take em down on the first shot.... a newer round between the power of the 223 and 308 isn't going to be of value either. Much like your story.

There is the value of a standard round in combat too.. if we are the only country to have 6.8 spc.....

340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
cool

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Spunky, I'd say. She also had enough sense to keep the firearm pointed essentially in the same direction as she started off shooting, not easy when you're doing the "I'm AM going to fall on my azz" dance.

She gets and "E" for effort...............

Last edited by magnumb; 07/17/08.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was told this from a reputable Marine a few years back that the reason the USA chose the 5.56 MM or 223 Rem is because it doesnt kill well and therefore every time you wound an enemy you just tied up many more of them to deal with the wounded,ive killed many coyotes with a 223 Rem. most dead in their tracks but Ive also had a couple that I thought I put a good hit on them and they vanished never to be seen again.............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A common story and indeed some people in the sevices have stated that. I heard it in the Army in the 80's.

We do Rost it's called ballistic gelatin-lol. We have a bunch of representative "wounds" in ballistic gelatin from 5.56 M193 and M855, M80 7.62, Mk262 mod 2 5.56, 6.5 Grendal and 6.8 SPC.

We also have stories of coyotes taking .223 hits and running off, deer taking .308 hitsd a disappearing, people taking 5.56, 7.62 and even .30-06 hits and keeping their feet. It's good fodder for an argument.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
All these folks that fail to die when shot with 5.56

Where are they? Do the black helos pick them all up for experiments? <g>

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Most of the BS is propogated by internet heros. I am willing to bet that better than 99% of whom have never been in a firefight. The same can be said for the average soldier who never leaves a base but comes back all salty about their time in Iraq or Afghanistan. Here is a news flash, only a very small minority of regular military ever sees combat. They may hear a mortar round or two while on their monsterous bases, thats it. 90% will never leave a FOB or even hear a small arms shot fired in anger, let alone be involved. Yet these are the same kids that come back and tell all these wild stories about the 5.56 not working.

The subject of the 5.56 comes up a lot. I can tell you from first hand experience that it works. The ball ammo is not great but it still balls dudes up. We do not need a different cartridge. We need something other than ball ammo. The 77gr MK262 open tip match is a great bullet and works well. It or some other open tip projectile needs to be standard issue.

The same bullcrap about how poorly the 5.56 is as a combat round is shoveled by the same retards who say the gas system on the M4 is bad.
When you have incompetent and poorly trained people who treat all their gear like crap and are more concerned with their Ipods and Gameboys instead of the rifles and radios and other gear you have problems with all the gear. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard some troop complaining about how messed up this or that is. Usually these same troops look like a bag of crap with their uniforms and gear all jacked up.

Proffesional soldiers and operators don't seem to have nearly as many problems with the exact same gear.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.