Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Hey fellas, this may be a stupid question to some of yall, but I've never been to Africa and don't know so I'll ask. What's the best animal to eat from over there? Do you eat Cape Buffalo or what? Kudu? Impala? Just interested and I know some of yall have extinsive experience over there. Thanks.....GH

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have never been either but talking to people that live there I was told Eland is very good.<P>Just remember, AIDS is everywhere, be carefull what you eat. [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
I was in Namibia in mid to late March this year. I got to eat some of my gemsbok, which in MHO was as good as it gets for game meat. I also ate Kudu and Zebra which were also very tasty. I live in northern California where Blacktail deer is the most prevalent game animal. I would liken Gemsbok to them or Mule deer: very good if you like game meat with some flavor but not strong! Have a great adventure.<P>------------------<BR>TSN

TSN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"but I've never been to Africa and don't know so I'll ask. What's the best animal to eat from over there?"<P>Angus, rib eye, very rare. LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by If It Flies It Dies:<BR><B>"but I've never been to Africa and don't know so I'll ask. What's the best animal to eat from over there?"<P>Angus, rib eye, very rare. LOL </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you saying: Threaten it with heat? [Linked Image]<P>Don [Linked Image]<BR>

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kind of prefer the description of "wounded". LOL<P><BR>I like em cooked hot and fast on the outside to get that good grilled flavor and raw on the inside.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flies, I'v seen steers hurt worse than that get well!<BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
well here goes... As I consider myself something of a cook...<P>1) Eland, Chicken Fried for breakfast, with about 6 eggs, and 2 liters of OJ.<P>2) Kudu fillets, BBQ'd (easy does it)<P>3) Warthog roast, and BBQ's ribs<P>4) Cape Buffalo, fillets wrapped in bacon and BBQ'd Med-Well (I usually like MR but considering that it is wild game, a little extra cooking is called for)<P>5) Elephant Scraps, use some kind of breading and bake, with dipping sauce..<P>6) Sable/Eland biltong<P>7) Bushbuck roast was okay.<P>8) Fish-n-chips<P><P>------------------<BR>Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.

Those that would trade freedom for security, deserve neither freedom or security.
Steve<P>Why do you feel that wild game needs more cooking than domestic beef, do you feel wild game is more apt to make you sick?<P>Jason

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I loved buffalo steak sandwiches. Also liked warthog bacon with eggs and toast for breakfast. We ate like kings the whole trip.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
1. Fat Buffalo off green grass is my favorite, In the dry season I really prefer inner tube...<P>2. Eland or Kudu, its a toss<P>3. Impala, Springbok, warthog<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks for the post guys. Sounds like some good eatin', I never figured Buffalo would be any good. I guess I thought such a big tough animal would be tough to eat. Anyway, Steve, why do you cook wild game longer? That meat isn't contaminated like processed meat that's been ground and mixed together. Oh well, hopefully I can get over to Africa sometime and shoot some of these animals, then I can try them out for myself......GH<P>PS-I got a friend who's dad has been and I asked him and he says he likes Impala the most. To each his own.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With all due respect for StevePP--he's from TEXAS, if he says he can cook, I am duty bound to believe him--I have never found any wild game, bird or animal that is better past medium rare and usually is better leaning toward rare or rarer. Somewhat because there is more flavor in that stage of cooking, but mostly because wild game meat has much less fat in it and tends to dry out rapidly past MR. Now I am not talking about a rump roast or something that is so tough that you have to cook it for a while to be able to chew it, usually with some liquids added, but in general, for tender cuts, less is more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Greenhead...it's the heart of a buffalo that's tough.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Impala liver. Umm yum.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 11,733 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,250
Posts18,544,406
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.