Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
. . . I have a few units where the scope cost more than the rifle.
Betcha can't beat this: I have a ~$300 Leupold 2.5x28mm IER Scout Scope on a ~$70 Mosin-Nagant M38.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you're right Don.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMB
I hope you guys are right, but I don't see that happening. Increased prices of raw materials, and fule prices are driving the cost of everything up. I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.

Yep, I think you're right and at that price point, count me out. Too rich for my blood. Besides, a VX-II will do everything I need done in the field.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DMB
I hope you guys are right, but I don't see that happening. Increased prices of raw materials, and fule prices are driving the cost of everything up. I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.

I think that is part of Loopy's problem. The competitors are offering a lot of scope, for less money. I know I keep mentioning the Sightron Big Sky, but it is a lot of scope for $335. I know it is kind of an unknown brand, but once I tried it, I felt like the Loopy's were a ripoff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMB

I personally think that the prices will be in the $750 and up range.

There is a lot of guessing going on with only half the story told so far.

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold is lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

Leupold will have to come up with a scope that has the glare control and definition of a Conquest otherwise they are just another old name.

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Originally Posted by DMB

Yep, I think you're right and at that price point, count me out. Too rich for my blood. Besides, a VX-II will do everything I need done in the field.

I'm with you on the VX-II. It is a very fine scope, and I have two of them. Based on how good they are, I just can't get excited about buying a VX-III.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the 3.5-10x40 VX-III (I probably have 5 of them). That and the FX-III 6x42 are all my hunting rigs wear.

With that said, I don't think I've ever paid full retail for any of the 3.5-10s, and if the price goes up substantially, I can guarantee you I won't be buying a new one. Not when a VX-II 3-9x40 sells for under $300.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Personally, I prefer the VXIII to the VXII by a good bit (power ring, optics, aesthetics, options, 2.5-8X36 laugh , etc.). If anything they replace the VXIII with moves up more than ~10% in price, I will be using alot more Conquests, etc., down the road. I have a couple of Conquest 3-9's, and I think they are slightly better optically but aesthetics and weight advantages go to the VXIII 3.5-10 (I have a couple of these as well) IMHO. If the prices start to spread even further though, I will be leaning hard in other directions as $500 is kinda my breakpoint - too many good scopes below that point to get very excited about anything above that point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam
Personally, I prefer the VXIII to the VXII by a good bit (power ring, optics, aesthetics, options, 2.5-8X36 laugh , etc.). If anything they replace the VXIII with moves up more than ~10% in price, I will be using alot more Conquests, etc., down the road. I have a couple of Conquest 3-9's, and I think they are slightly better optically but aesthetics and weight advantages go to the VXIII 3.5-10 (I have a couple of these as well) IMHO. If the prices start to spread even further though, I will be leaning hard in other directions as $500 is kinda my breakpoint - too many good scopes below that point to get very excited about anything above that point.

Ditto!

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You guys have lost me. I've given up on keeping up with all the various Leupold numbers for their scopes. Here is what I want to see... scopes that DON'T have to have a coin to adjust. Weaver was doing that years ago with a simple dial. The very BEST glass that can be bought bar none. None of this 30mm tube crap. Keep the "forever" warranty. Stop saying "American" made since the glass is not from America. My guess is that I have about 15 to 20 Leupold scopes from 6.5 to 20 and all in between and even a couple of fixed 12x40's so I like the product. As many Leupolds as I have I can't remember all the numbers any more as I said before. Keep it simple Leupold!

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by DMB

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold will lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

Leupold will have to come up with a scope that has the glare control and definition of a Conquest otherwise they are just another old name.

GAWD .... and you guys bash E!!! .... Talk about the same old song over and over!!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by DMB

So here is my guess. I think that Leupold will lost without an answer to the Zeiss Conquest which currently eats their lunch performance and price wise.

GAWD .... and you guys bash E!!! .... Talk about the same old song over and over!!

George,

My take is that 99 hasn't ever looked through a Leupold VX-7, or anything better than a Conquest, let alone evaluated any of the BEST scopes compared the a Conquest. The VX-7 kicks ass, as do S&B's and Swaro's. Never looked thru a high end Zeiss, so no cmts about them.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indeed its the Conquest thats eating Leupolds VX3 lunch in my view.

So high end aside as thats not the VX3 price range nor are high end scopes a big market. Leupold needs to find a product that performs like a Conquest or better.

I have looked through a S&B and its fabulous and I have two high end Zeiss scopes besides a Unertl 15X Ultra Varmint.

My take is that Leupold kept up grading the same old Vari-x design and they need to drop it and copy Zeiss.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Conquest is heavier and has less eye relief. Might be OK for a guy like ole Savage who's rifles never see the field. Give me a Leupold any day.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I hope either this is a bad rumor, or that they change their minds, but methinks it's true, since it's been corroborated at the supply level.
Rick I respect and love ya by tha pound, but Leupold should get rid or discontinue the VXIII and VXL line ESPECIALLY the VXIII, reason? Is because they ain't worth a quarter.
I have a VXIII that is no clearer than my VariX-III and that is just a shame MAYBE I got a good VariX-III, but I have never seen a VXIII clearer, so hopefully Leupold will have a NEW line that will be worth buying as per the optics/glass because they aren't hitting on nothing with the VXIII... I take that back the warrenty is good... wink

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Right back atcha Popapi! wink

I'm a big fan of the 2.5-8x36. I hope that whatever comes next has a scope in that class. I'd hate to lose the overall utility of that scope for some new bells an whistles.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
put the newest glass/coatings in (what was) the VX-III line ... offer either low-profile or "pop-up" capped turrets as standard fare ... and (whatever this means) update the internal mechanics to make them even more true/repeatable ... and offer ANY/ALL reticle options available from Leupold ...

do that, and you'll truly have the best hunting scope ever made, if you ask me ...

but then again, what the hell do I know ... (grin)

-WGM-
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Right back atcha Popapi! wink

I'm a big fan of the 2.5-8x36. I hope that whatever comes next has a scope in that class. I'd hate to lose the overall utility of that scope for some new bells an whistles.

rb
They will or should I say I hope so, being that so many people like the 2.5-8x36 I think they(Leupold) would shoot themselves in the feet if they didn't...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Not a bad idea WDubya...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

rb

Plus one.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.