Print Thread
Hop To
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Where all the guys who were saying this will never happen... Let me go back and check those post where all you wolve lovers were saying that they are delisted all is good. I said all it would take is one judge. hey Dpole how about you think the goverment works fairly where is the Elk foundation now since they supported this.....

Federal judge restores protection for northern Rockies wolves

Fil

* Read the judge's ruling.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

o Idaho officials, wolf advocates react to ruling
o Delisting sets new hurdles for initiative calling for removal of wolves in Idaho
o Wolves on schedule to leave the endangered list Friday
o Hunters could bag a wolf as early as fall
o Will wildlife officials delist wolves?
o 13 years on, wolves have changed friends and foes alike
o A look back: Wolves in the news in 2007
o F&G management plan gets biologists' support
o Elk, deer survival high despite prowling wolves
o Meeting in Boise generates no howling over F&G wolf management plan
o Idaho ranchers learn to live with wolves
o Idaho supports proposal aimed at making it easier to kill wolves

ELSEWHERE

* Interactive: The habitat, behavior and history of wolves in Idaho
* Sign up for our Breaking News newsletter delivered straight to your e-mail inbox to be among the first to know about major news when it happens.

By Rocky Barker - rbarkeridahostatesman.com
Edition Date: 07/18/08

U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy granted a preliminary injunction late Friday that returns wolves in the Northern Rockies to endangered species protection.

The Natural Resources Defense Council and 11 other wolf advocacy groups demonstrated they would likely win the case on the merits of their arguments, Molloy said. His decision means the federal government will take over wolf management again and there will be no wolf hunting seasons in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

Molloy made his decision based on the wolf advocates� claim that wolves in Yellowstone were not genetically mixing with other wolf populations in the region, as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said was necessary. He also criticized the Wyoming plan that had 90 percent of the state open for wolf killing year around.

But Molloy said both Montana and Idaho wolf plans were good enough to protect wolves at least as well as the federal rules in place when the wolves were delisted.

�Idaho law is sufficiently similar to the (federal) regulations to provide assurance that Idaho�s depredation control law will not likely threaten the continued existence of the wolf in Idaho,� Molloy wrote.

Still the decision means that Idaho won�t have a hunting season this fall, a disappointment to Steve Nadeau, the large carnivore manager for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

�It�s unfortunate,� Nadeau said. �We certainly don�t agree with the judge.�

The NRDC said 106 wolves have been killed in the past 118 days since wolves were removed from the protection of the federal Endangered Species Act. More than 2,000 wolves are estimated to live in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and the small parts of Oregon, Washington and Utah included in the area.

�The federal court just offered a badly needed lifeline to wolves in the Northern Rockies,� said Louisa Willcox , NRDC Action Fund Wildlife Campaign Director. �Today�s ruling means the slaughter must stop.�

Idaho estimated it would have a spring population of 1,063 and authorized a hunting season that would have allowed the killing of up to 428 wolves. But Molloy noted that the state plan had limits in place that would stop the statewide season once the overall mortality limit had been met.

Nadeau while disappointed about the decision was pleased that Idaho�s plan passed the judge�s muster.

�All of our hard work to meet the high bar for delisting was fruitful,� he said.

Wolves were reintroduced in Idaho and Yellowstone National Park in 1995 and 1996 under relaxed ruled designed for �experimental, nonessential� populations. The ruled were relaxed further this year and they also under challenge from the environmentalists.

But these rules, which allow ranchers to kill wolves when they attack livestock, are now back in effect.
Comments

Last edited by ehunter; 07/18/08.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
do they track each and every wolf so closely that they'd know if a few went "missing"?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Northern Minnesota has more packs than the Rocky packs combined.
Ravens,Crows,Magpies and bugs gotta eat.
The numbers run 3300-3700+ wolves just in Minnesota.
The Rocky "Tri-State" packs number 2000+.

Mike

Last edited by Balvarik; 07/20/08.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe the good folks in Minnesota should get them de-listed and put management into the State's hands. If they aren't willing to handle the situation at home, then maybe they should stay out of the wolf problems in other states. Let the locals manage them as they see fit. ymmv, Tim.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They are in The Hands of The State Of Minnesota!
Old news.

Wolf management
Line drawing of a timber wolf.

Minnesota's gray wolf population has been officially removed from the federal endangered species list and will be managed by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Federal rules removing the Great Lakes population of gray wolves from the endangered species list took effect in Wisconsin and Michigan as well. Wolves will be managed in Minnesota by state statute, rule and under a wolf management plan. Read the Delisting FAQ.

How will wolves be managed under the state plan?

The state wolf plan is designed to protect wolves and monitor their population while giving owners of livestock and domestic pets more protection from wolf depredation. It splits the state into two management zones with more protective regulations in the northern third, considered the wolf�s core range.

Similar to federal regulations, the state plan allows anyone to take a wolf to defend human life. Any wolves taken must be reported to a DNR conservation officer within 48 hours, and the person who took the wolf must protect all evidence.
What has changed under the state plan?

State regulations allow harassment of wolves that are within 500 yards of people, buildings, livestock or domestic pets, to discourage wolves from contacting people and domestic animals. Wolves cannot be attracted or searched out for purposes of harassment, and cannot be physically harmed.

Can I shoot a wolf to protect my livestock or pet?

Owners of livestock, guard animals, or domestic animals may shoot or destroy wolves that pose an immediate threat to their animals, on property they own or lease in accordance with local statutes. �Immediate threat� means the observed behavior of a wolf in the act of stalking, attacking, or killing livestock, a guard animal, or a domestic pet under the supervision of the owner.

Additionally, the owner of a domestic pet may shoot or destroy a wolf posing an immediate threat on any property, as long as the owner is supervising the pet.

In all cases, a person shooting or destroying a wolf under these provisions must protect all evidence, and report the taking to a DNR conservation officer within 48 hours. The wolf carcass will be surrendered to the conservation officer.

The state wolf plan is designed to protect wolves and monitor their population while giving owners of livestock and domestic pets more protection from wolf depredation. It splits the state into two management zones with more protective regulations in the northern third, considered the wolf's core range.

The plan establishes a minimum population of 1,600 wolves to ensure the long-term survival of the wolf in Minnesota. The state's wolf population, estimated at fewer than 750 animals in the 1950s, has grown to its current estimate of 3,020. There will be no public hunting or trapping seasons for wolves for at least five years. The endangered species act requires the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to monitor wolves in Minnesota for five years after delisting to ensure that recovery continues.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/wolves/mgmt.html

Mike

Last edited by Balvarik; 07/19/08.
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our wolves have always been here.
Record wolf numbers and record whitetail numbers at the same time.

Let common sense prevail.
SSS

Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
Where all the guys who were saying this will never happen... Let me go back and check those post where all you wolve lovers were saying that they are delisted all is good. I said all it would take is one judge. hey Dpole how about you think the goverment works fairly where is the Elk foundation now since they supported this.....

Yes, do find the posts.

There are many copies.
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Dpole I was wrong it was not you it was alpinecrik

"Everybody knew that there would be lawsuit(s) opposing delisting--we discussed it ad nauseum here on the Campfire--and everybody has known it for quite some time--like the past 3-4 years......

"Most likely not much will come of it--I got a box of bullets bet with a Campfire member that Montana will be holding its wolf season this fall.

"Now that VarmintGuy has popped outta the woodwork, all we need is Walkingman to appear and complete the propaganda.........

The fun part will be to watch the wolf-haters come to the realization that the states are going to manage wolves to maintain a fair size population--then we will get to read a whole new round of propaganda from the VarmintGuy's and Walkingman's.

Casey"

Last edited by ehunter; 07/20/08.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ehunter
Dpole I was wrong it was not you

There is hope? shocked

There are many copies.
E
ehunter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Maybe a little hope grin I apologize for miss quoting you.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any guesses as to whether we'll have a Minnesota season once the waiting period is up?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bucktail
Any guesses as to whether we'll have a Minnesota season once the waiting period is up?

I ain't guessing; ehunter will poke me with hot sticks if I'm wrong. But, there is/was a lawsuit against MN and the feds to put wolves back on the ESA list here too. Something about wolves are not recovered because they are not recovered over their entire historical range and the feds should not treat the three midwestern states' wolves as a separate population. Its my understanding that Defenders of Wildlife did not join this suit, as they felt the pop had recovered enough for delisting. Most think/thought the suit would not go anywhere, but who knows? Whether MN citizens will allow a season is anybody's guess too. We are pretty darn left wing in this state. My republican votes are generally futile.

In the meantime, Balvarik will keep thinning them out, the dirty rat. I wish I could BS my way into a tag from the tribes with my 1/16th blood. whistle

There are many copies.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully we will soon stop this bunnyhuggin, greepeace, disney mentality crap and RID ourselves here in the intermountain west of the fantasy idea that this wolf vermin is a good thing train of thought, and once again eliminate them!

Last edited by 700LH; 07/22/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 31 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.