Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick
You got me there... all ego. Never did a meaningful thing with wood.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Most stabilizers are two-part epoxies, such are commonly used in stabilizing knife handles, especially soft tropical woods, and some parts of musical instruments.

The technology comes from epoxy-impregnated wood strip canoe and kayak building.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's amazing what a discussion on sealing a gunstock can turn into, reminds me of politics. When you can't agrue on merits or facts start name calling. RickB, trash talking about someone's deceased father? What's your next fact to win the argument against Sitka Deer, trash talk his mother?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have you always had this reading comprehension problem?

Please point me to where I said anything at all about anyone's father, because I don't seem to recall that one.

Several of us have mentioned products used to seal and finish wood (that we have actually used) and so far I haven't seen anything from your hero except "cides" and his fantasy about being a "big fish in a little pond"... Whatever the hell that means! smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick
No reading comprehension problem on ccrifles' part... He simply realizes there is a lot more to this forum than one thread.

I have no need of any kind to argue with you nor describe a better way of finishing a stock. I have, repeatedly, and it is easy information to find.
Blissed art though.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Really?...well then perhaps you can point me to where I have EVER said ANYTHING that could be even remotely construed as "talking trash" about anyone's father...which is exactly what your little buddy accused me of.

"Better" is also a pretty subjective term that requires some explanation of the means used to arrive at that title...Obviously, something you feel is below your position as the "big fish" swimming around with all us " ignorant little fishies." smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow, a lot of information here. I think I'll just stick to what Gramp Garrison used on His Premier Fly Rods - Pratt & Lambert Spar Varnish.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Probably a very good idea since that stuff has been sealing and protecting wood longer than most of us have been around. smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah, and It's been quite a while since Garrison has been around, and His Rods are still, The Most Highly sought after. The Finish is part of That, just as in a Gunstock. Would Craftsman of Yesteryear be using modern potions? Probably. But what They were useing, is still very good stuff. Wes Jordan, of Orvis Fame, got credit for useing the first inpregnated Cane. It was a heat treatment that sucked in the finish. Wes did this back in the 60's, I think, could of been the 50's. any ways,another finishing process from the past, that has been well proven.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Makers of wood and laminated wood bows have also been using similar products and procedures for years and years...and many of those old bows are still being used today.

I'm all for trying out new stuff...but there is allot to be said for methods and products that have a proven track record for in some cases, centuries. smile

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taconic11
"Wow, a lot of information here. I think I'll just stick to what Gramp Garrison used on His Premier Fly Rods - Pratt & Lambert Spar Varnish."

Yeah, and I will bet the mixture has remained unchanged for all these years... Yeah, right!

Lab tests on spar varnishes show very mediocre results, BTW, in the areas of waterproofing and sealing... Trapping moisture behind a finish is a bad thing and when water will get behind a surface it must be able to escape... Spar varnishes perform their boat jobs well...
art

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/19/08. Reason: typo "bet"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You know...I'm still waiting to hear about an alternative product or process from you instead of just your incessant jabbering about how all of us "little fish" are so ill informed.

Scientists and labs have also told us that bumble bees can't fly and that global warming is going to have us all sprouting gills in a couple of years when the oceans rise and flood us. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick
Said nothing of little fish... Suggest you remove your head long enough to look around. I have posted hundreds of finishing comments over many years including detailed instructions for many.

You are too lazy to look them up and I am totally unconcerned for your edification.

Further, I admire honest men admitting they cannot unravel the mysteries of bumble bee flight. Far better that than ridiculing facts they cannot understand.
art

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That makes things allot easier. Why not just start all your posts with: "Please refer to all of my past posts"...and then just leave it at that. smile

Or better yet...why not come to the ACGG show in Reno and teach a class on stock finishing. I'm sure that the professional stock makers in the Guild could probably learn allot from someone like you. Several of them are friends of mine and I could set it up for you if you're interested.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sitka your pm box is full.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dempsey
My email is easy to find... It will take a major effort to gut my PMs down to a reasonable level after years of Rick letting me get away with murder wink
art

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.