Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 51 of 1,842 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag,I'm it.I just happened by at a fortuitous time.

Stan

Last edited by Stan_in_SC; 07/19/08.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Deer, deer everywhere. I was on my way home from a cookout and saw the freaking deer every were. They are haunting me, teasing me, probably whispering things about me. I can't get them off my mind and then they keep popping up everywhere. That is until the opener, then I won't see crap.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There is only one gun that will handle ol forky toes...

It's Betty Lou, she is the one, an AK57 laser, radar guided, tripple barreled, heat seeking shot gun. grin

Tom

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Gotta love the Thirty point buck!

There he was....

GONE!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
how perfect, thank you stan for leading us into the towsands.

smile

Tom, the deer. they are talking about you. they are for sure.

String & the stick buddy, sept is almost here. Archery, arrow one, get that earlyy fix buddy!

Too funny!

Dave

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
" only no good brodder in law man...from illinois"

did you see da turdy pointer? grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
What's going on in here? grin

weezy aint shoot'n my big buck!!

Bet she or the boy gets him LOL

A thousand replies? Are ya sure? Holy smokes!!

What the counter thing says cool

Well, I'd like to stick around & see it hit a thousand but we've got a party to go to. I hear there is a whole deer on a big smoker cooker at one of my buddies house.

Hope you got some pics , love to see a whole deer on a smoker shocked

Corn on the cob, taters, all that sort of stuff, cold beer, silly games... sounds like a good time so we beter go check it out.

Did I mention about the pics smile

I'll check in here tomorrow.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Dave

Last edited by 1936; 07/20/08.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hotter then the blazes here, 101 heat index even the wind is hot late into the evening. My Big blacklab won't hardly go outside now and I know he is dreaming of the first frost with me, the smell of fall in the air, the sound of whistling wings overhead. The smells and sounds of Big Ole Forky toes rutting Buck that we all dream of.

I think of deer and duck camp more and more often and eachtime I also think of what I hope to someday have. A deercamp like NorthernDave and the MrsNDave have put together.

Dave can you hear it? Do you see it? I see my orange cap and hear it whispering put me on, put me on soon! The time is coming but not soon enough!!!

Last edited by wabo; 07/20/08.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Wabo,

aahh if your hat is talking to you... you might want to line it with foil grin You might have it worse than me. I think just the deer are taling about me, not my clothes...yet smile

Dave,

I haven't decided if I'm going to bow hunt this year. I plan on putting a lot of time in on the range this year. If it my last up there I'm going to make the best of it.

So, how was the smokey deer? He didn't have funny looking feet did he? It could be Forky Toes Part Deux- The Son of Forky. Way too scary for women and children...way to scary.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
TZone,

It's the heat I tell ya at 6:23p.m. it's 109 heat index, my hat is getting louder with each degree... wink

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago I had a good friend,now passed away,who hunted a mysterious black buck unsuccessfully for several years.There were several near misses in that chase.Then one day a man dropped by Al's Ford dealership with a huge black looking buck dead in the back of his truck.It had been hit by a vehicle on the highway near Al's place.I don't think Al ever was the same after that until his death.I am going to try to recreate from memory here the poem I wrote for Al about this deer.

THE BIG BLACK BUCK
Around the fire on a cold dark night,the old man told of an awesone sight.A huge buck deer with a widepread rack and a coat of glistening shiny black.The other hunters listened in awe to the tales of the big one the old man saw and each in his own heart would be the one who would grab the glory and shine in the sun and slay with his gun the big black buck.But this was a wise one and seldom was seen.As the years went on the others gave up but the old man stayed steady and stuck to the quest.
It ended one night on a Georgia road bed,blinded by headlights the black buck was dead.

Stan Ward

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Wabo,

Man am I glad you have those temps down there, try to keep them there will ya? That even sounds hot. I guess with those temps I would probably be hearing my clothes talk to me too.

Supposed to be in the high 70's here this week, come on up and do some fishin' get out of that heat.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Stan,

nice poem. There are quite a few ghost bucks that met their maker via F-150. Kind of sad for those of us that chased them 'eh.

A few years ago there was a big bodied, tall racked, 9 pointer around there that I had been chasing durring bow season. I had seen him a few times from a distance, and even saw him make a rub on day in late October. Then on a rainy Thanksgiving night, on the way home from my father in law's house. I saw him trotting across a field. I slowed down as he got to the roads edge, but the SUV in front of me did not. She didn't even see him and smashed into him at 50mph and I got to watch it all.

I ran past the deer laying in the center of the road and paid no attention to it because I wanted to see if the lady was alright. She really creamed her Explorer and was shaken up, but no worse for the wear. The county cop drove past and whipped around to check on her too. He asked me for help pulling the buck out of the road. It was then I noticed that the rack was completly broken on one side and only had two points on the other. We pulled him into the ditch and I did a quick search in the road for the missing head gear. No luck and went on my merry way. Not a life changer, but I didn't bow hunt for the rest of the season. My heart just wasn't in it.

I did muzzle load for a few days but it was to no avail.

Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can be a let down even if sombody, like your brother in law, gets the Nice buck that you have hunted for more than one season.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
stupid no brudder good-in-laws....

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If my brother in law shot one I was after I would be down about it. He usually hits the woods the weekend before opener to fix a stand, and shows up late to it on opening am because he doesn't want to walk in, in the dark.

The only other buck I was after I got. On the iron range. I never saw him, just all the sign he was leaving around the are that showed he was "da boss".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
I was just curious so I did a little back reading.I came into this on page 61.Best damn thread I've ever been in on.
Rooster7,like I said...progress reports and pictures.We're going for 50,000 views and over 300 pages.
Stan

Stan - Cool poem. It is always a shame when a nice buck gets taken out by car. Kinda sad really.
I think there is a misunderstanding with one of my posts. When I posted that Dave had gone over 23,000 views I copied and pasted Dave's very first post to this thread to show how far he has come with it. I'm not starting a camp.........yet anyway! grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rooster7,you are correct I misread your post.

Stan

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No problem Stan. Easy to do sometimes!

On another note, I'm starting to catch the fever too fellas! crazy I started practicing with the string and stick two weeks ago and I'm getting crazy anxious for the archery opener in September. I'm expeirmenting with new arrows and new broadheads trying to find the perfect combo to go sailing through the boiler room of an unsuspecing whitetail. I know what I've had success with in the past and can always fall back on that but it is fun trying to come up with a better mouse trap. smile My 35 mile trips to and from work now have me taking more trips on gravel and dirt rather than tar. My eyes are scanning the fields and tree edges like that red light thingy on KIT, the Knight Rider car. I will soon be out scouting on foot with binos at some of my stand sites hoping to pattern a respectable archery buck and move/add stands if necessary. I have a two person ladder stand now and look forward to introducing my 10 year old son to the pleasures of bowhunting. To show him its not the kill that is the reward. It is being one with nature. To be completely still and watch it in its natural setting without another soul around. To have a squirrel crawl the tree next to us or have a bird land on his hat. To watch the sunrise on a cool frosty morning and listen intently as the woods come to life. To have a smaller buck come in and see the steam roll from his nose creating frost on his whiskers. To avoid the temptation to shoot this buck that is RIGHT there in front of you and let him live to grow another year. Imagining that one day the stars will line up and a big, heavy, non-typical double drop tine pig of a deer will grace you with his presence and you will see your fletching disappear behind his shoulder. OH MAN!! I gots to quit! I'm salivating all over my shirt. crazy

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
stop drooling, it's contagious.... oh damn it. too late now ya got me going.

grin

Something clever here.

Page 51 of 1,842 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.